First car you drove regularly

Dodge Polara push button automatic (somewhere around 1961 to 1964) bought for $240 in 1976 with with 60K miles. Drove it for another 60k miles. Remember driving it right to the junk yard when it finally threw a rod. I used it in the summer and my older brother used it as a winter drive while I was on campus at school. It wasn't even on the same planet as big bro's 63 pearl white split window coup with chrome knockoffs (Corvette) but it always got me from A to B without fail

Dodge Polara push button automatic (somewhere around 1961 to 1964) bought for $240 in 1976 with with 60K miles. Drove it for another 60k miles. Remember driving it right to the junk yard when it finally threw a rod. I used it in the summer and my older brother used it as a winter drive while I was on campus at school. It wasn't even on the same planet as big bro's 63 pearl white split window coup with chrome knockoffs (Corvette) but it always got me from A to B without fail

Now, if you had the Max Wedge 426 in that Polara you would have blown the doors off your brothers Vette. Remember the song "Shut Down" had the same cars.

62 Chev Belair
66 Bug
70 Bug
62 Caddy
55 Ford
72 Datsun pu
64 Chev pu
70 Chev Impala
81 Corolla
90 Corsica
92 Chev pu
00 Chev pu

My first car was a pale yellow 1971 VW Beetle. My Dad bought it used for my 21st birthday (1976) and it was a complete surprise! He was tired of driving me back and forth to college and I had just gotten engaged and I think he really bought it for both of us.

It was a stick shift and I knew the basics but my fiancee had to drive me out to a parking lot and make sure I really learned shifting. After a little too much coaching I let him out and drove around by myself. Being that I was shifting my own car this time, it all felt natural and I became a lifetime shifter.

Having that car was a great start for us and I think my Dad knew that when he bought it. I loved the buzz of the engine and the sound of the gears. There was no blower fan for the heat or defrost, just air convection when you moved. So driving to work in bitter cold was ok unless you had to stop for a light. I wore "defroster mittens" so that I could rub a viewing hole in the windshield and I kept an ice scraper nearby.

We both loved that car and kept it until the repairs got to be too much of a burden. I sold it to a sister of a co-worker and bought a Renault Le Car. I know a lot of people point and laugh at those but it was affordable, drove great and we loved it.

My first car was a pale yellow 1971 VW Beetle. My Dad bought it used for my 21st birthday (1976) and it was a complete surprise! He was tired of driving me back and forth to college and I had just gotten engaged and I think he really bought it for both of us.

It was a stick shift and I knew the basics but my fiancee had to drive me out to a parking lot and make sure I really learned shifting. After a little too much coaching I let him out and drove around by myself. Being that I was shifting my own car this time, it all felt natural and I became a lifetime shifter.

Having that car was a great start for us and I think my Dad knew that when he bought it. I loved the buzz of the engine and the sound of the gears. There was no blower fan for the heat or defrost, just air convection when you moved. So driving to work in bitter cold was ok unless you had to stop for a light. I wore "defroster mittens" so that I could rub a viewing hole in the windshield and I kept an ice scraper nearby.

We both loved that car and kept it until the repairs got to be too much of a burden. I sold it to a sister of a co-worker and bought a Renault Le Car. I know a lot of people point and laugh at those but it was affordable, drove great and we loved it.

Memories.

Did you know you could clean the outside of the windshield while sitting inside a Bug?

Also the clutch was only needed for first and reverse.

a terribly ugly 85 firebird.

stole my own car from the repair shop one night in an attempt to transport 6 people to a big highschool football game. We made it only 20 miles or so, and broke down. I was the only one with money and I paid for a limo to take us all back...ended up being 7 people total...never made it to the game, but had a lot of fun!! The car was trashed after that...I got my $500 worth though.

I think going 75mph in 2nd for quite sometime might have done it. Too bad I couldnt hear the engine screaming over the loud radio and 6 people.

Back
Top Bottom