First car you drove regularly

For me 1956 Chevy Bel Air, blue and white, but with very un-cool 4 doors. Belonged to someone in the family who let me have it in 1965.

How's this for uncool: My honey's family's car back in 1960. She got good at disconnecting the odometer and had it as a point of honour to get it airborne whenever she drove it. Yeah, the frame was a bit tweaked.

img_575863_0_4299a3c23df4301e814a2291430c4984.jpg

A Nomad! That's so uncool it's cool...

Nah - that would be cool - just doesn't have the new rear door handle in place yet in this shot. it's creeping toward done, one bit of jewelry at a time. '56 chevy 210 4 door wagon.

Hey, Calmloki, Any 55-57 chevy is way cool, even 4 door 210 wagons.... Nice car...

Wow....you guys had some really nice cars....

My 1st was a spankin' brand new bright ORANGE 1972 Chevrolet VEGA GT....and man, did I think that I was cool O0 ...after all, it DID say GT on the side [-]of that aluminum engine piece of crap[/-] and it WAS new :cool:

chevyvega74.jpg

Wow....you guys had some really nice cars....

My 1st was a spankin' brand new bright ORANGE 1972 Chevrolet VEGA GT....and man, did I think that I was cool O0 ...after all, it DID say GT on the side [-]of that aluminum engine piece of crap[/-] and it WAS new :cool:

I had a friend who worked in the local Chevy dealer and he told me they had piles of aluminum engine blocks out back from all the warranty work on Vegas. Not the US auto maker's finest hour. But the engine blocks were recyclable!

Don't feel bad, my parents special ordered a "baby s#$% yellow Vega with the wood paneling on the sides. My sister, a teenager at the time, called it the Vegomatic. What a piece of junk. I still give them a tough time about that purchase!

1962 Ford Falcon, 2 door 3 speed on the column

Quirks, Vacuum windshield wipers noisy and would speed up when you slowed down and slow down when you would speed up. Manual choke.

Also drove a 1951 Plymouth for about 6months until it died and my mother's 1961 Corvair Monza which I wrapped around a tree when I was 15.

2soon

Had this for a number of years, almost killed myself in it a couple of times. Really the wrong car for a rookie driver.

Sold it to a guy I worked with that I didnt like. A few months later I found a spare key for it and periodically I'd go out and move it from where he parked it to somewhere else. It bugged him a little bit at first because he thought he was losing his mind. After a while I tried moving it from the north lot to the east lot. He called the cops and reported it stolen, but they 'found' it in the other lot.

After a few more "moves" he figured it out and asked me if I had another key to it. Of Course Not! :)

Attachments

• mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 65

Some friends and I had an orange Vega GT, that we rebuilt from the ground up with a 454 big block with a dual 4-bbl tunnel ram, and all of the trimmings! Darn thing got lousy mileage! But it made a really quick trip to the gas station! :D

My first regular drive (ride) was a '61 Vespa motor scooter. Commuted to college all week on a gallon of gas (.29) and a little cup of oil (about another dime)
My first regular car was a '57 rambler wagon with a broken motor mount. When I floored it, the engine torqued up enough to jam the throttle full on. Had to turn off the key to slow it down. I drove it for a year without fixing it. What an idiot!

1968 Jeep CJ-5. To put it in four wheel drive you had to get out and lock the front hubs. But then it would climb a wall.

Some friends and I had an orange Vega GT, that we rebuilt from the ground up with a 454 big block with a dual 4-bbl tunnel ram, and all of the trimmings! Darn thing got lousy mileage! But it made a really quick trip to the gas station! :D

I think that is how a lot of Vegas, Monzas, Pintos, and Mavericks, and the like met their demise... as drag cars. Little cars... BIG motors.

First one was a 1940 Ford coupe, 283 Chevy, 3-2s (Stromberg97s); Duntov cam and solid lifters; dual ignition; 4" dropped front axle. Second one was a 1956 Chevy convertible, turquoise and white, 301 Chevy (283 bored); 11:1 forged pistons; .030/.030 Duntov (fuelie) cam and solid lifters; 3-2s (Rochester 2GCs); Headman headers; Muncie 4-speed with Hurst shifter.

I use to meet a lot of police officers my early days. >:D:(

First car I drove somewhat regularly was my mom's old beater, a '68 Impala which was a hand-me-down from my grandma after she got a new car. Mom rarely needed that car so I occasionally drove it to school.

When I was a senior in high school, my parents decided to buy my "graduation car" a few months early so things would be more convenient for all of us. That was a used '77 Plymouth Arrow, a rather gutless car which still holds a place in my heart as my "first car." It had a few problems but I got four years and 45,000 miles out of it commuting to and from high school and the first years of college before it gave up the ghost.

'67 Ford Custom 500. 289 cu in smallblock V-8 under the hood, 3 on the tree straight drive tranny and no, I mean NO:

1. Power Steering
2. Power Brakes
3. Air Conditioning
4. Radio

I did eventually install a Craig 8-Track tape player under the dash for some entertainment. Of course, my main entertainment in that car was...uhh...maybe I better not say!>:D

LOL, I did install a 4 barrel carb and a loud muffler, and some mag wheels hahaha!!! We were easily amused back in those days!:D

I think that is how a lot of Vegas, Monzas, Pintos, and Mavericks, and the like met their demise... as drag cars. Little cars... BIG motors.

That's what the plan was for my '70 Maverick. I had most of the parts and pieces gathered together, but then got a deal on a nice '74 Malibu Classic. So I returned most of the parts (no 15% restocking fee back then), and sold off the rest of the stuff....including the Mav. :)

1st car

... was a '57 Rambler American, sort of red, 4 cyliners, with a 3-position shift stick on the steering column. I was 6' 8" eventhen, and I fit! I remember one time getting up to 90 mph on the Silver Strand in San Diego, and I thought the car would bounce off the road. Ah, but the seat went down (and so--I hoped--did she ... she didn't, this being the late 50's ... 'nice' girls didn't do that, then). Got 35 mpg, with gas at 35 cents a gallon. Drove it all over California. I got it from my Dad, and drove it 98,000 miles, until the needle bearings went in the differential, and Dad had her towed away (he didn't ask me for my OK, just did it).

First car was a Burgandy Red Karmin Ghia convertible. Got it after my sophomore year in collge. I bought it from a minister in Hollywood. It had a stick shift (the car, not the minister--well, maybe the also the minister), so I needed a friend drive it home for me. Turns out my first college girl friend, later wife, also had a Karmin Ghia convertible, but in turquoise (sp)? The cars were so cool, but so impractical. No real back seat, no real trunk (which was in the front). Looked sort of like a sports car--but no power. And, the rear window was a heavy plastic that clouded and stayed cloudy. I guess "opaque" is the word--just couldn't see out of them very well. But, that was OK, because these convertibles had huge blind spots due to the form of the convertible top. Sure wish I had my Karmin Ghia now. Driving my mother's blue and white 1954 Buick Century back in high school--wow, was that embarrassing. It got 8 miles to the gallon, but who cared back then? Sure wish I had that Buick Century now. Those old Buicks and old Oldsmobiles, once fixed up, are the best looking cars on the road.

Mine was a hand me down 60 Chevy Impala ... don't remember what the original color was, but it was an indescribible tannish copper color. I had to buy 4 used tires and a tire patch kit (and got real good at patching too) to ensure that I could get from point a to point b. Room enough for 8. 6 cyl. 4 door. Not exactly your chick mobile, but hey I had wheels. I sold it for 50 bucks knowing that it was on it's last legs. so did the guy who bought it, but needed cheap transportation and took the chance.

First car was a Burgandy Red Karmin Ghia convertible.

I owned a Ghia convertible also. I had to park on the street and I never locked it since everyone that owned a jack knife had a "key". It rusted away constantly, despite my Bondo efforts. Those cars had a real personality though.

The first car I drove regularly was my parents 1976 Chevy Impala.

The first car I owned was one of these:

fiat_x19.jpg

Mine was silver and a later model. Lots of fun, that thing.

The first car I drove regularly was my parents 1976 Chevy Impala.

The first car I owned was one of these:

fiat_x19.jpg

Mine was silver and a later model. Lots of fun, that thing.

That a Fiat 124? Mid engine, distributor cap facing forward to the firewall about at the small of the passenger's back? Fun to set the points on!

That a Fiat 124? Mid engine, distributor cap facing forward to the firewall about at the small of the passenger's back? Fun to set the points on!

It was the Fiat X1/9 Bertone. Mine was a 1982 model. The one in the photo is from the 70s.

You're right, though, mid engine, two seater. Sitting in the drivers seat your butt is 11" off the pavement. It handled like a dream. Not particularly fast, but you could take a corner at 60 and survive :D

Back
Top Bottom