Fly Swatter Technology

OldAgePensioner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here in NYC we have fly the size of hummingbirds. I have one of the old wire screen swatters and the splash thru is rough. The plastic ones are against my Green Earth sensitivities.

Anyone know of a way to kill flies safely and effectively?

high tech swatter

Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive electronic swatter that fries the fly as you swing at it in the air. Of course you have to hit it. Swatter looks like a tennis racket.

Wow, a tennis racket. Cool. I might try to hook some large no-pest strips onto the frame and get some lessons from Anna K.

I have a set of the tennis rackets. After multiple discounts at Kohl's, they cost me about $5 (originally about $25). Makes killing flies fun! Zaaaaap!

We have one - works great on small slow moths, but a good sized housefly takes a tasering and reboots and flies again. Maybe missing a leg or two... After frying a single fly several times one moves on to stronger measures. NB: One will never hear someone say "I love the smell of fried fly in the morning - it smells like victory"! It just smells. Bad.

errr....how about plain old fly tape...we hang up a couple every fall when they start coming in...

You could tent your house the way we do in Florida. Every 10 years or so, dry wood termites swarm. If you are lucky enough to be chosen by them, you get to have an exterminator cover your entire house including garage and enclosures with air tight tarps right down to the ground. Then they pump in some lethal concoction which is allegedly "nontoxic" except that it displaces oxygen - including behind the walls where the beasties have their nest.

Anything in your house dies. It's advisable not to forget your pets when you do this. When they are done they open the windows, run a few fans, and you move back in. You will have no vermin, insects or other trouble for many years after that.

Would that help you out with your little fly problem?

Anyone know of a way to kill flies safely and effectively?

I've always been pretty good at snatching them out of the air in mid-flight. My 26 year old son has also picked up this pragmatic skill. DW seems to like to swat them with a bank bag (don't ask) and claims to have quite a few KIAs recently.

We tented our house while on vacation .We returned jet lagged to a ton of dead bugs even now two years later bugs die instantly in my house .Scarey to think what the chemicals are doing to me !

Venus fly trap.

All natural and fun for the whole family.

For wasps, I've used a 1 liter bottle filled with apple cider vinegar, a couple drops of soap, and a few banana peels. I recall a few flies were caught in that concoction as well.

Flies tend to accumulate at various windows/doors. Opening the doors lets some out; the vacuum cleaner hose sucks up the ones near the windows; the spider in the front window keeps up his end.

BTW, you can repair a hole in the screen with duct tape.

Hillbilly tricks like that helped me achieve divorce. Of course you are already alone, so why not?

Ha

Flies tend to accumulate at various windows/doors. Opening the doors lets some out; the vacuum cleaner hose sucks up the ones near the windows; the spider in the front window keeps up his end.

+1 on use of the vacuum for houseflies - a shopvac with as much 1 1/2" abs or pvc pipe as required ducttaped on is killer for wasp nests too - just leave it running and it really cuts down on the workforce! Lots of fun to put the end of the pipe next to the nest entrance and listen to the little buggers bounce off the bends in the pipe as they venture too near...

Fantastic, 10-12 totally insane ideas to try.

Questions that need answers.
1. Should I try the taser on my girlfriend first just to get my aiming skills" (I hate to have a housefly taunting me to "go ahead, miss me"):rant:

2. If I tent, do they make a tent large enough for a 60 story, 460 unit highrise and should I alert the neighbors?:cool:

3. Would a Venus fly trap be pissed if I also snatched their "in-flight meals" out of the air? I still remember that C-grade horror movie, The Giant Flytrap. Didn't it eventually whip Godzilla?

4. Ha, yeah, with nothing but my young "rent-a-girlfriend", the vacuum trick and duct tape sounds kinky. And would 2000 Torr actually pull the thong right of the lady friend?:eek:

:bat: So here is my next attempt. Being an old F-16 jock, I recall we had Halon 1301 gas which I intend to fill my apartment with and the gal pal and I will wear oxygen tanks for the day. Got a feeling the flies will just hold their breath. :mad:

Thanks for the tips.

Hillbilly tricks like that helped me achieve divorce. Of course you are already alone, so why not?

Ha

That's "Kentucky Engineering"...

4. Ha, yeah, with nothing but my young "rent-a-girlfriend", the vacuum trick and duct tape sounds kinky. And would 2000 Torr actually pull the thong right of the lady friend?:eek:

Blow is just a figure of speech...

3. Would a Venus fly trap be pissed if I also snatched their "in-flight meals" out of the air? I still remember that C-grade horror movie, The Giant Flytrap. Didn't it eventually whip Godzilla?

You should be fine if you keep it away from uranium, neocons, liberals, and Cramer.

I like to sit around my house with a pair of chopsticks and an elderly Japanese man who teaches me Karate. It worked in The Karate Kid.

Daniel Larusso: Hey, wouldn't a flyswatter be quicker?
Miyagi: Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything.

Hey I use duct tape to repair screens!
What you need is a fly-catching dog! I have several to spare if you provide a shipping address! :)
My dog Carl is amazing--he will flat catch a fly, no questions asked. Very handy--no need for chemicals.

Hey I use duct tape to repair screens!
What you need is a fly-catching dog! I have several to spare if you provide a shipping address! :)
My dog Carl is amazing--he will flat catch a fly, no questions asked. Very handy--no need for chemicals.

I've had cats that caught flies; not the present one.

Ok, not to politicize this thread but I think I'm hearing:
Glue some lucky charms cereal to a strip of duct tape, expose it to radioactive material. Invite a neocon, and a liberal to a Chinese dinner and watch the flys die of boredom while they fight like cats and dogs.

Zat bout rite.

I like to sit around my house with a pair of chopsticks and an elderly Japanese man who teaches me Karate. It worked in The Karate Kid.

Daniel Larusso: Hey, wouldn't a flyswatter be quicker?
Miyagi: Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything.

Toshiro Mifune did this is one of the origianl samurai movies. I tried ot for a while but had to give up due to lack of success.

Ha

Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive electronic swatter that fries the fly as you swing at it in the air. Of course you have to hit it. Swatter looks like a tennis racket.

These are excellent and cheap ($2.99 on sale). They use 2 D batteries. You don't squash the insects, just push the button and make contact with the pest - ZAP! Also great (cheap) entertainment for kids. They like zapping mosquitoes and gnats. Makes a nice snap and spark. :D

I use the vacuum cleaner hose attachment on wasps all the time.

I've also found flyswatters very effective against spiders, roaches, and cave crickets.

Back
Top Bottom