Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe this person lives near a ham radio museum. My aunt lives near one in New York.

splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That gives me an idea: He could hear Morse code over the radio he finds, then have to try to write it down so that he can interpret it. But he has to find a book that describes Morse code.
It might be more interesting if he re-invent the wheel, and decodes it by himself.

Just from movies, I think many people would know that SOS is either . . . - - - . . . , or - - - . . . - - - . Then they might figure on their own that the most common letters are the shortest, "E" is ".", "S" is more common than "O", so "S" would be the ". . . " and "O" the "- - - ", etc

-ERD50 ( . .-. -.. ..... ----- ) https://morsecode.scphillips.com/translator.html

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It might be more interesting if he re-invent the wheel, and decodes it by himself.

Just from movies, I think many people would know that SOS is either . . . - - - . . . , or - - - . . . - - - . Then they might figure on their own that the most common letters are the shortest, "E" is ".", "S" is more common than "O", so "S" would be the ". . . " and "O" the "- - - ", etc

-ERD50 ( . .-. -.. ..... ----- ) https://morsecode.scphillips.com/translator.html
Excellent idea!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #24

Al...Most of the older radios still have the documentation with them. Most ham radios run on 12v DC which means it will run off a vehicle's battery and alternator. You don't need a separate generator. A solar panel to recharge batteries will work. If no one is left on the continent because of an atomic blast, many solid state electrical components will be fried. The older ham sets that hams use nowdays would most likely chug on since they have tubes and such to run them. Those old sets are coveted by many hams nowdays because of their better tone and warmth than the newer sets of today. Morse code is on the downhill now. It is not used by mariners nor in the ham tests anymore. In later years it will be unknown, (just my opinion). If no one is around why mess with trying to contact anyone anyways?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #25

Al, Is this guy moving fast because there are other dangers on the way? Would he have time to spend figuring out the equipment? What kind of communication equipment would a firehouse or airport have available? For some reason this pandemic reminds me of a book that my mom was reading a long time ago. I can remember small pieces of the story. Most of the world population died, woman that survived the virus had long hair and cut it to be more practical, her son survived but they were in separate areas of the U.S., he joined up with someone else (or a group, don't remember), he shoots her from behind from a long distance and doesn't realize it's her. The end! Do you know the book? I'm sure you can tell what it is from my great description. lol

Al, How many books have you written now?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #26

Quote:
At the start, he's going to "pick up" a big-ass diesel generator. He recognizes that fuel will go bad (looks like diesel, gasoline, and kerosene all go bad). He'll add fuel stabilizer, which should make the diesel last for more than five years. That is, he'll go to a gas station, estimate how much diesel fuel is in the underground tank, and dump in stabilizer. He'll calculate how much he will need per year (he used the be the president's accountant, so he's good with numbers).

Or, he might find a house with a working solar power system.
Commercial/government sites would likely have trailer-mounted diesel gensets designed for extended operation.

Find a home with well/septic & wire up a transfer switch w/ generator inlet to the home's panel and they've got all the comforts of home.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Okay, the Morse code will be a bit of a stretch, but it could be fun. There will be someone trying to contact others, and maybe I can find a way for her to have to resort to Morse code. I'd say she can only find a transceiver that can only be used for code, but that's not likely.

BTW, I built a transmitter that would have used Morse code in the 80s (and got a limited license), but I never got it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Al, Is this guy moving fast because there are other dangers on the way? Would he have time to spend figuring out the equipment? What kind of communication equipment would a firehouse or airport have available? For some reason this pandemic reminds me of a book that my mom was reading a long time ago. I can remember small pieces of the story. Most of the world population died, woman that survived the virus had long hair and cut it to be more practical, her son survived but they were in separate areas of the U.S., he joined up with someone else (or a group, don't remember), he shoots her from behind from a long distance and doesn't realize it's her. The end! Do you know the book? I'm sure you can tell what it is from my great description. lol

Al, How many books have you written now?
Initially he has all the time in the world. That is, at first he decides to just enjoy the situation, not try to find others or save the human species. Then he finds a baby, and it changes his perspective. Then he gets an intriguing message over the shortwave.

Firehouse, airport, or military base. Good ideas.

I don't recognize that book. I'll see if someone on the Kindle site recognizes it from your tidbits. I just finished Earth Abides*, which I recommend. I first read it forty years ago.

This will be my fifteenth book. Each one was going to be my last. Love/Hate.

*That site is a library with a lot of books that you can borrow for 14 days.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Commercial/government sites would likely have trailer-mounted diesel gensets designed for extended operation.

Find a home with well/septic & wire up a transfer switch w/ generator inlet to the home's panel and they've got all the comforts of home.
It's in. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Firehouse, airport, or military base. Good ideas.
Around here, many of the more affluent counties have a central disaster preparedness facility with every kind of communications apparatus and other needs to get through a crisis.

As a ham radio operator, I used to be a small part of the effort and got to tour a couple of these buildings. Lots of resources and maybe worth considering.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Nowadays, we use a Garmin InReach Mini to send text messages via satellite. But one needs to pay for a satellite plan. One would be able to figure out the Garmin InReach without a manual. They could also just press the blue SOS button. The InReach has a USB-cable rechargeable battery like a cell phone does.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Trying to make the Morse code thing work ...

Wouldn't a Morse code message get through better/go farther? That is, aren't there conditions (e.g. extreme range) under which a code signal could be understood while a voice message couldn't?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Trying to make the Morse code thing work ...

Wouldn't a Morse code message get through better/go farther? That is, aren't there conditions (e.g. extreme range) under which a code signal could be understood while a voice message couldn't?
Yes, that is one of the reasons it is still used.

All you need to be able to do is hear the presence or absence of the 'beep', you don't need to be able to make out the nuances of a vocal sound.

I bet if you googled Morse code and "signal to noise ratio" you'd come up with some technical comparisons.

edit/clarify: The signal (voice versus beep) wouldn't actually "get through better/go farther", but in a weak reception area, the receiving party could make out the beeps in the noise, when voice would be difficult/impossible to reliably make out. But the actual signal is essentially the same. It's the interpretation ability of the signal that changes.

-ERD50
Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

A discussion at https://ham.stackexchange.com/questi...e-still-in-use mostly says Morse is used because it's fun. But there's this:

"The advantage? Efficiency! You get to put all of that power of your rig into a very small bandwidth, whereas voice modes need to spread the power out much more (for example, SSB uses roughly 2.8kHz of bandwidth)."

This is a clear example wanting something in a book, and searching for a way to justify it.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

That also makes sense that the energy could be put into a smaller bandwidth, so therefore more efficient.

I'm not a ham, so I'm not sure how that works out in practice. Is a transmitter optimized for Morse code versus voice? Can the transmitter bandwidth be changed depending on if you are using voice or Morse code? Is this something an non-tech person could figure out?

-ERD50
Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

If you go to a longer wavelength, like the ham allotted frequencies on the 20 or 40 meter band, you can actually get worldwide coverage as the signal bounces around / along the ionosphere. Boy, that takes me back to my first ham test as a kid. You could also have this guy fabricate his own simple dipole antenna. Literally a long string of wire cut to the corresponding length for the frequency (band) he wants to uses.

I remember how p.o ed my dad was one day when he got home from work and my buddy and I had strung a dipole along the length of the roof of our home and then out to a telephone poll at the corner of the lot. I think it was about 66ft.

OTOH, you might be able to add some spice to the book if he locates an old CB radio. Then, he powers it up and at the other end is the reincarnation of Jackie Gleason as Sheriff Buford T. Justice!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Nowadays, we use a Garmin InReach Mini to send text messages via satellite. But one needs to pay for a satellite plan. One would be able to figure out the Garmin InReach without a manual. They could also just press the blue SOS button. The InReach has a USB-cable rechargeable battery like a cell phone does.
Have you seen this for the iPhone? (Android later this year)

https://satpaq.com

Pre-pay for messages, no need for a monthly plan.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
InReach is a good system and I've used it myself to stay in contact with DW when I've been camping or hiking in remote areas.

But it relies on a connection between the satellites and their ground station, which then forwards the information via the internet to the recipient. In a doomsday scenario, that would probably break down pretty quickly.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

At some point, I think I'll have him scanning through the frequencies, and hear a transmission from the ISS. The astronauts will be saying, essentially, (1) "Can anyone down there hear us?" and (2) "if you aren't familiar with the radio equipment, do this to respond ..."

Is that reasonable?

For part (2), would they just assume that all listeners would know their way around the transceiver? If not, what instructions would they give?

To get a feeling for this, I'm trying to understand this manual. It would be a hard slog, but perhaps he could do it. A lot of jargon:

"PSK31 Operation
Two dedicated PSK31 modes are available, one each for USB-side and LSB-side injection. For BPSK work, the injection does not matter, but for QPSK the two working stations must use the same sideband."

The problem is that with (almost) no one transmitting, it will be hard for him to figure out whether anything is working.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I may pursue this. If someone would enjoy solving a puzzle, below is the message that he will receive. Instead of the Morse "letters," I've substituted letters from the alphabet.

The protagonist knows SOS, so, in this example you know that "U" decodes to "S" and "E" decrypts to "O." He also knows that "E" is the most common letter in the English alphabet, but that's all. He doesn't have any books on cryptography available, but he has solved problems like this as a kid.

The automatic decoders on the internet don't have any trouble with this, of course.

There's a trick involved, and I'm curious as to whether any of you will come up with it.

Here's the message:

somu mu z qguuzlg vef ztgr heengf ztgr cogx iep lgs somu qguuzlg ytgzug le se sog uqmsouexmzx mxusmspsmex zs qzfitzxd zwg uc czuomxlsex db
Old 02-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #40

Quote:
At some point, I think I'll have him scanning through the frequencies, and hear a transmission from the ISS. The astronauts will be saying, essentially, (1) "Can anyone down there hear us?" and (2) "if you aren't familiar with the radio equipment, do this to respond ..."

Is that reasonable?
No, sorry.
For one thing, transmitting to the ISS would require a highly directional signal aimed exactly at where the station was going to be when the signal reached it. Without the proper data, it's unlikely in the extreme.

Another issue is that the signal would likely have to have circular polarization to be successful, and you need a somewhat specialized antenna for that.

Finally, the controls on modern (or even old) transceivers need quite a bit of knowledge (theory and manual instructions) and practice before they can be manipulated with success. The astronauts would probably not be familiar with even the commonest ones.

I've been a ham for nearly 40 years, so I have a little experience.