Solensia: miracle drug for OA pain, in cats

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm not the kind to tease, although I was tempted to title this thread "Miracle drug for Arthritis!" to draw views. But that's not my style. This drug is for cats, and a similar was just approved for dogs (Librela).

It literally is a miracle for our little guy! His behavior has completely changed.

At 16 1/2 years old, he's really slowed down over the last 3 years. He stopped most jumping. He walks slowly and deliberately. He has osteoarthritis (OA).

Enter Solensia . The first few months we barely noticed anything, but there was slight improvement. We were ready to stop, but we decided to go on and on this 6th shot, he woke up the next day like a kitten. It is actually a little irritating! We got used to being able to place things on low tables. Now he's right up there, making trouble. Fortunately, the counter-tops are still too far, and I hope it stays that way.

It is just so heartening to watch our little guy run around, window to window to check out the birds and dog walkers. He also just has a better disposition.

It's an expense. But honestly it is a great way to blow that dough (Robbie, we miss ya). It is also heartening to see our buddy in less pain.

Tech stuff I learned:
Solensia is a monoclonal antibody which takes it out of the realm of steroids or NSAIDs, which are strictly off limits for cats who have marginal kidneys to start with. It works by slowing the pain receptors, not by fixing the joints. It was approved last year. A few months ago the similar dog-specific drug was approved.

It makes me wonder about humans. Just watching him has me jealous. Alas, it has been tried (Tanezumab), but failed to get FDA approval. But maybe, just maybe they'll figure it out for us some day. For humans, it may mask OA and make it worse. That could be happening to our guy too, but this risk is worth it for such a short life remaining.

P.S. under no circumstances should a human take this. It is species specific. Biology isn't my thing, but I know enough that "antibodies" are something you don't just start swapping around willy-nilly.

And, no I am not a shill for this company. I'm a tech guy, not a pharma guy.

Last edited:
Our cat started with arthritis in her back near her tail, then back joints. She used to be a very graceful jumper, but obviously with the pain that ended. Our vet started her on metacam which says for dogs, but works well with her. She had kidney checks but they have not been affected. Now she gets around like a younger cat. Still can’t jump as high, but very noticeable and we can tell she doesn’t have the pain. The problem we have with solensia is it’s a shot and she would have to be under anesthesia to receive as she is not too keen on the vet. Glad to here your cat is doing well with this.

Our cat started with arthritis in her back near her tail, then back joints. She used to be a very graceful jumper, but obviously with the pain that ended. Our vet started her on metacam which says for dogs, but works well with her. She had kidney checks but they have not been affected. Now she gets around like a younger cat. Still can’t jump as high, but very noticeable and we can tell she doesn’t have the pain. The problem we have with solensia is it’s a shot and she would have to be under anesthesia to receive as she is not too keen on the vet. Glad to here your cat is doing well with this.

Our guy is "OK" with the vet and doesn't notice the shot.

He yowls like mad all the way there, and when we arrive, he shuts up and is an angel. He doesn't seem to feel shots. He's a funny little guy that way.

Was reading a bit about it... do you have to get a shot every month? It seems that way...

Was reading a bit about it... do you have to get a shot every month? It seems that way...

Yes, but you may be able to stretch it a bit, depending on how the cat feels.

Blow That Dough

Our guy is "OK" with the vet and doesn't notice the shot.

He yowls like mad all the way there, and when we arrive, he shuts up and is an angel. He doesn't seem to feel shots. He's a funny little guy that way.

Ours lasts about long enough to get her out of the carrier and then it’s claws and teeth time. No poking or checking. She’s an angel at home. Our present and past vets say it’s common amongst cats. They get out of their home environment and then it’s game on. You are very fortunate.

Back
Top Bottom