For Earth Day--Buy Carbon Offset Offsets.

samclem

Moderator Emeritus
This newly available program is described in the short blurb below. (Edited to remove political references).
For years, you’ve watched helplessly as your neighbors try to erase their eco-sins with something called “carbon offsets” – the modern-day indulgences that rich [people] buy to make themselves feel better about taking NetJets to Sundance every January, or living in an 11,000-square-foot house with nine bathrooms. They may be burning more fossil fuels in a year than Malawi, but by purchasing a certificate that says someone planted ferns on their behalf in the Amazon Basin, these confirmed despoilers of the environment can claim to be “carbon-neutral.” And they do claim it, self-righteously and at every opportunity. It’s infuriating, yet there’s nothing you can do about it.
Until now.
This Earth Day, we at the The Daily Caller are proud to introduce our exclusive Carbon Offset-Offset Program. For a small fee, you can do your part to stop environmental fraud. Here’s how it works:
Each time your neighbor buys a carbon offset, you offset it.

Click infographic to expand.

All details at this Daily Caller page.

Hilarious.

I think the whole carbon offset idea is a joke. And the market for such things has to be run by organized crime. If not, they are jealous that they didn't think of it first.

Hold that thought - maybe they are involved after all. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17814838

And another - Money for Nothing: The Illusion of Carbon Offsets. http://www.cascadepolicy.org/pdf/env/Climate_Trust_Audit_021009.pdf

If you want a clean eco-conscience just conserve. Isn't Al Gore making zillions of this stuff somehow? Maybe he can share a cell with Bernie Madoff.

====
I think the people in Iceland should pay for all the damage their volcano is doing to the world.

They do get a lot of their energy from geo-thermal which is tied into those volcanoes, so actually they may be doing pretty well over-all. I have not researched the numbers to know if that is a significant offset relative to a volcano blowing every hundred years or so.

This will be interesting fodder though. So it releases all this CO2, but the effect of the ash in the atmosphere is probably cooling the globe, so people will claim the CO2 release actually reduced global warming.

Lots of 'fun' from both sides on this.

-ERD50

They do get a lot of their energy from geo-thermal which is tied into those volcanoes, so actually they may be doing pretty well over-all. I have not researched the numbers to know if that is a significant offset relative to a volcano blowing every hundred years or so.

This will be interesting fodder though. So it releases all this CO2, but the effect of the ash in the atmosphere is probably cooling the globe, so people will claim the CO2 release actually reduced global warming.

Lots of 'fun' from both sides on this.

-ERD50

Not to mention causing the cancellation of 100,000+ flights has got to be good for the earth. :rolleyes:

Happy Earth Day

Back
Top Bottom