For those of you who celebrate the US Thanksgiving....

We are hosting this year and there are about 14 folks expected. This year I delegated some side dishes and dessert to local friends to lighten the prep load.

Popcorn
2 brined turkeys cooked in Big Easy propane cookers
Stuffing, gravy, cranberries (cooked and fresh relish)
Sweet potatoes with apples and hazelnut butter
potato celery root mash
green beans
Corn pudding

Delegated:
relish tray
salad
Desserts & whip
Wine, beer, juice, tea, etc

It'll all be served up buffet style and 2 of the guests have been appointed as scullery help after. Hoping for the best - it's a big crowd.

Attachments

• pecan.jpg
    pecan.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 41
Dim-sum if the place I like is open on Thanksgiving Day. :)

Edit: Just called. They're open and they will have dim-sum. Yay!

Last edited:
I just got home from the store with a 6 lb duck.

Which I had to buy to make the $25 minimum required to take advantage of the "buy 1 get 1 free" offer on frozen turkey breasts which I got 2 of (6 lbs each), so I am ready to hold up my end of the meal - :)

Close, but the tater pie recipe is seasoned slightly differently - and has no pecans (which, BTW, isn't pronounced as if it were containers to urinate into...) :angel:

Off topic, but I cannot resisst with this lead in. Years ago, when I lived in New Endland, a friends mom vacationed in the south. When she asked for some PEcan pie, she politely told, in a very southern manner " Honey, the PE can is under the bed, the PeCANS are in the pie".

Due to a family member working on Thanksgiving(nurse), our family gathering will be either Friday or Saturday. So I'm on my own Thursday. I plan to grill some pork chops, bake a couple of sweet potatoes and steam some mixed veggies. Will have turkey and all the fixings when we do get together. One of my nephew's is in the bbq restaurant business so he will provide most everything.

Due to husband's illness, we can't go to either dinner we were invited to. There are too many people with colds/flu in our circle of friends/family. One friend is bringing us a delicious sweet potato pie from their favorite bakery in Philly. My sister has her dinner at noon and will send us Thanksgiving plates for our evening meal.
Hope everyone has a great holiday!

We are hosting DD1, her boyfriend, and his parents. DD2 (an RN) has to work so she won't be able to travel home at all. I'm making the usual: turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing (in the bird), yams, green beans with almonds, cranberry sauce, and dinner rolls. Dessert will be apple pie, pumpkin pie, and butter cookies. All homemade, except the dinner rolls and pumpkin pie. The rolls are from a package and the pumpkin pie will be purchased from Costco.

We are hosting mil, 2 sil's, 2 bil's, niece & her husband and 2 kids. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, pies, and judging by the stuff in our kitchen, it looks like something with pineapple in it. And other stuff that I'm not aware of. Plus wine and craft beer.

I was going to do something small, but Costco yesterday had a half turkey sitting on top of cornbread dressing and vegetables in a pan that you just put in the oven, and gravy somewhere in there to heat separately. Easy enough! We'll make some veggies and cranberry relish to go with it.

The neighborhood has a big Thankgiving potluck, but we hate potlucks so we avoid it. The cooks around here just aren't that great. We're so picky.........

So it's just us and the butterflies.

Mostly the same menu from one year to the next. We are having 5 people total.

BN Ranch Turkey, 13.5 lbs
Chestnut, bacon, dried apple, and corn bread stuffing
Wild rice with balsamic mushrooms
Romano beans with butter shallots and chives
Sour cream mashed potatoes
Cranberry sauce
Green salad
Bread & butter
Pumpkin pie
Vanilla ice cream
Fruit & Cookies
Wine, coffee, dessert wine (white)

I have a couple of wines from a local winery. A bottle of hard cider. And I'm going to try a pumpkin & coconut milk dessert that I had in Thailand recently.

As is the family tradition, we gather at the mother-in-law's house in NJ. We'll drive down tomorrow and stay over. The young wife will get up early Thursday, make the stuffing and put the turkey in the oven. She'll also make green beans with bacon and shallots. She already made the cranberry sauce tonight and we'll take it with us. In the early afternoon, her sisters, sisters in law, aunt and cousins will arrive with majority of the other side dishes -- mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, coleslaw, broccoli, baked beans, rolls, pies, etc. The job of her uncle (and me) is to bring the wine. The brothers in law and nephews watch football. There should be between 15 and 20 people.

We host. My FIL drives in, and my M&D are local. My DS hosts her in-laws, and she is a lousy cook so that is best avoided. Last year my FIL didn't come so we all went to DS's. My Mom was practically begging me to host again this year.

We do basic turkey, but get a huge bird enough for days, and then have to duplicate most sides as gluten free (inc. not actually stuffing the bird) for FIL who has celiac. Luckily i have a whole foods near so everything can be replicated, even pumpkin pie. I get both a pumpkin and chocolate fudge pie for the rest of us. GF gravy, pie, stuffing, - then make veggies and potatoes all fresh and no adds and we're good.

We serve an antipasta in the afternoon, and include traditional italian meats and cheeses, and include some nice stilton which my Dad loves. (FIL italian american, DM and DD UK expats). It's hard not to just eat tons of proscuitto and cheese and then be done.

One of my favorite side dishes I got from Martha: cheese eggs and spinach souffle: Spinach-and-Cheese Puff Recipe | Martha Stewart

Then we kick everyone out of the house, and do leftovers for days.

Last edited:
Pot luck dinner at a friend's house this year. Fourteen people in total and surprise menu. I have been tasked with bringing appetizers.

We usually celebrate holidays with dozens of his extended family down at the family fishing camp. But this year I think we'll look for a reasonably priced restaurant instead just for the two of us.

Relaxing, peaceful, quiet. I think we are growing old. :LOL:
What would Thanksgiving be without a last minute change in plans? We will be having Thanksgiving with his family after all. Lots of kids running around and the usual lively family dynamics. :)

What would Thanksgiving be without a last minute change in plans? We will be having Thanksgiving with his family after all. Lots of kids running around and the usual lively family dynamics. :)
Lol, sounds like fun

"lively family dynamics". I love that description. :)

My cousin hosts it. We bring three offspring, one veg, two desserts and a bottle of Fernet Branca.

For the second year, we are headed to the Vallarta Botanical Gardens for their trukey dinner with all the trimmings. We have booked a table for twelve and are passing up 2 invitations to friends' places.

"...usual lively family dynamics" Hmmmm... sort of like this?

Attachments

• Thanksgiving_prep.png
    Thanksgiving_prep.png
    958.9 KB · Views: 11
Just DW and I. New home, new part of the world, no new friends yet. A couple of Cornish hens, roasted root vegetables, gravy, and pumpkin pie. DW insists on a bottle of the cheapest Cold Duck they sell so I'll pick that up.

Thinking about some sativa based brownies as desert. I was at the dispensary for 10% off day and they're selling trim at $3.00 a gram. Maybe make up some canna butter and brownies? Homade whipped cream, or Ben and Jerry’s? New home new traditions.

Cooking dinner at my DF's, in his big, but bare bones, kitchen - he doesn't cook, so about all I can count on to be there are measuring cups. Therefore, on the menu this year is:

Roast turkey w/homemade gravy
Mashed potatoes
Mrs. Cubison's stovetop stuffing ( :blush: )
Roasted Brussel sprouts
Roasted carrots
Homemade cranberry sauce
Baked rolls
Storebought pumpkin & apple pies w/ whipped cream

Back
Top Bottom