Join Early Retirement Today

"Free Magnifier with LED Light" (Reverse Mortgage)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Free Magnifier with LED Light" (Reverse Mortgage)

Do these advertisers think we (Old Retired Folk) are stupid and/or Gullible? Thinking we would get a Reverse Mortgage just for the free gift. Somehow ignoring the costly fees and poor financial viability.

I am the only one who's gears are seriously ground by these patronizing ads aimed at seniors?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Let's not forget the once famous actors selling their souls for some $$$ , promoting these things....

The latest one I saw, the actor keeps looking down to his right just before telling another lie.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
gone traveling

Well sure but magnifiers with lights are the cat's meow.
Very useful while eating one of those free chicken dinners.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Not just a magnifier but with LED light. Really rolling out the red carpet.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

I actually called just to get that magnifier! Surprise, surprise, it didn't come. I called back and the rep flat-out said to me that they are in the business of lending, not giving away magnifiers. I mentioned the commercial only required I make the call, and grudgingly she took down my information and I got it a few days later. Yes, I have too much time on my hands, but it made for fun posts on Facebook to my friends.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I actually called just to get that magnifier! Surprise, surprise, it didn't come. I called back and the rep flat-out said to me that they are in the business of lending, not giving away magnifiers. I mentioned the commercial only required I make the call, and grudgingly she took down my information and I got it a few days later. Yes, I have too much time on my hands, but it made for fun posts on Facebook to my friends.
Let's ALL get magnifiers!!
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #7

Don't forget many of us here are of the generation that responded to the "get 10 records for $.99" ads. #Columbiarecordclub.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Don't forget many of us here are of the generation that responded to the "get 10 records for $.99" ads. #Columbiarecordclub.
I built a pretty nice library of science/biology books in my college days with offers like this from book clubs. Because of my biology interests Field and Stream had some nice selections. Got the first set of 4-6 books then bought the one required before canceling. A few months later when there were new selections I signed up again. I wasn't interested in trapping or shooting but the track ID, tree ID, and animal habit books were interesting.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #9

Well, I can tell you that my 90 year old Dad has fallen for quite a few of these types of scams...and he's still pretty lucid, especially for his age. I can also tell you by his emails, phone calls, and direct mailers that there is A LOT of money in scamming older folks. If you think it can't happen to you (or someone you love), then you are living in a hole.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #10

So you all think I should just get over it, call and get the Mag/Light.....
Old 04-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Well, I can tell you that my 90 year old Dad has fallen for quite a few of these types of scams...and he's still pretty lucid, especially for his age. I can also tell you by his emails, phone calls, and direct mailers that there is A LOT of money in scamming older folks. If you think it can't happen to you (or someone you love), then you are living in a hole.
My FIL had two money orders all ready to mail to someone overseas before my BIL caught it. He at one time was high level exec at Megacorp. It can happen to anyone.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

you are such a tease. How do we get the free magnifier with LED light?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Will you need that magnifier glass with LED light to read the fine print of the contract?