Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
W2R,
You're speed reading again, aren't ya? Powerplay is having fits with a top-loader.
Aaagh!! Sorry, Powerplay. I read top-loader but what registered was front-loader. Oops. I'll go back and delete the post.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep, mine is a top loader, Maytag Bravos made by Whirlpool I believe. No agitator, it jossles the clothes around and supposedly through the water. A part of adjusting to the new machine was reading the manual and loading the washer differently than before which helped with the excessive tangling. I still don't think it does a very good job although early on some of it was operator error.

Not sure what I'll do next time I need a new washer, maybe move.

It is good to read that so many are happy with their FL machines though!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Yep, mine is a top loader, Maytag Bravos made by Whirlpool

Four years ago I decided to get all new kitchen appliances . I bought Maytag . If you wonder where the Maytag repair guy is ,he is not resting he's at my house . So far the microwave stopped working . The dishwasher broke and the oven baking unit burnt out and the handle on the oven broke off . I am done with Maytag . Years ago I had Maytag appliances and they lasted forever . Now they are disposable .
Old 06-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Four years ago I decided to get all new kitchen appliances . I bought Maytag . If you wonder where the Maytag repair guy is ,he is not resting he's at my house . So far the microwave stopped working . The dishwasher broke and the oven baking unit burnt out and the handle on the oven broke off . I am done with Maytag . Years ago I had Maytag appliances and they lasted forever . Now they are disposable .
Wow, that is just too much. I don't blame you for not wanting anything that says Maytag in your house.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bought a Maytag Neptune pair before the washer had a design correction of a drain put in the front area to drain excess water left after the washer is done with the cycle.

The washer has a perpetual musty/moldy smell problem. Eventually they offered a drain hose retrofit kit for $100.

This washer also causes long wrinkles in jeans and other clothes that do not come out in the dryer.

This has made me very wary of buying a front loader again...

The dryer has lost an interior fin.

We purchased the set before Whirlpool bought Maytag, so maybe they are better now, but I'm probably avoiding Maytag in the future.

For those who have the front load LG (and I forget the other brand) that you're happy with - you don't experience the long (lengthwise) wrinkles in jeans...?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #66

DW's new Samsung front loaders were scheduled for delivery today. A minor fiasco. They put the wrong bases on the truck. Driver goes back to the loading docks, finds out there are no matching bases. So they ask if they can re-schedule for next week.

Wife was off swimming, I told them sure. Don't want a half assed setup. DW gets home, after understanding the problem burns up the phone line and some poor sap's ears.

So we wait.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
do washing machines really use 60 gallons/load? good golly.
Just got my second water bill since getting our LG frontloader. I've started watering our garden quite a bit and our water usage is still down 2 units below normal. That 1500 gallons less per month. We average 8-10 loads per week. Makes sense...40 gallons saved times 40 loads
Old 06-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Have you considered primary prevention emptying the pockets before putting the clothes in the washing machine?

Its DW's responsibility to check pockets for coins since she does the laundry, regardless of whose clothes they are in. I've explained this to her several times without much luck. She doesn't see it my way - she says that I should check my own pants. This issue is a problem at our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Bought a Maytag Neptune pair before the washer had a design correction of a drain put in the front area to drain excess water left after the washer is done with the cycle.

The washer has a perpetual musty/moldy smell problem. Eventually they offered a drain hose retrofit kit for $100.

This washer also causes long wrinkles in jeans and other clothes that do not come out in the dryer.
I had the same musty/moldy smell problem. My new drain hose took care it.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
DW's new Samsung front loaders were scheduled for delivery today. A minor fiasco. They put the wrong bases on the truck. Driver goes back to the loading docks, finds out there are no matching bases. So they ask if they can re-schedule for next week.

Wife was off swimming, I told them sure. Don't want a half assed setup. DW gets home, after understanding the problem burns up the phone line and some poor sap's ears.

So we wait.
We also went with Samsung front loaders with matching pedestals purchased from Sears. They are scheduled to be delivered next week. I sure hope the delivery and installation go smooothly, because our current washer is broken. If we have to go much longer without a washer, I'll be down at the river beating our clothes on a rock.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Its DW's responsibility to check pockets for coins since she does the laundry, regardless of whose clothes they are in. I've explained this to her several times without much luck. She doesn't see it my way - she says that I should check my own pants. This issue is a problem at our house.
And if you push the issue, you'll be offered laundry duty. Guess how I know that.

And no, it won't help to respond " OK, instead of cutting the grass properly, repairing the furnace properly, managing investments properly, loading the water softener properly, maintaining the cars properly, etc, etc, etc - you can do those tasks for me....". But I am guessing on that one, even I have developed enough sense to keep my mouth shut on some things.

Some things you just need to be flexible on - that's not easy for me on things like this, where the consequences are worse than the few seconds it takes to check.

-ERD50
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Some things you just need to be flexible on - that's not easy for me on things like this, where the consequences are worse than the few seconds it takes to check.

-ERD50
Yea, those couches get lumpy.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And if you push the issue, you'll be offered laundry duty. Guess how I know that.

And no, it won't help to respond " OK, instead of cutting the grass properly, repairing the furnace properly, managing investments properly, loading the water softener properly, maintaining the cars properly, etc, etc, etc - you can do those tasks for me....". But I am guessing on that one, even I have developed enough sense to keep my mouth shut on some things.

-ERD50
Like you, I've learned a lot over the years how to handle these issues. I just have to remind myself that she is always right .
Old 06-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I think the first line of defence should be emptying your own pockets. The second line of defence should be DW checking that all pockets are empty. That way you have built in redundancy in the coin removal system, thereby mitigating the risk of a catastrophic event washer malfunction.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #74

Quote:
I think the first line of defence should be emptying your own pockets. The second line of defence should be DW checking that all pockets are empty. That way you have built in redundancy in the coin removal system, thereby mitigating the risk of a catastrophic event washer malfunction.
Thanks - Ok, I agree. I guess I'm partially to blame. Your solution is the same as MIL, SIL, and all the women at work. but it is frustrating to have taken this thing apart about a dozen times
Old 06-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
This is how we were brought up - - didn't matter if one was a boy or a girl, we were expected to empty our pockets before our mother laundered our clothes, and this from a very early age. Anything found by our mother when doing laundry became hers, not ours. Interesting how people are brought up differently from one another.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Just a quick update to report our impressions on our new front loading washer and dryer set. We went with a Samsung WF419AAU washer and matching dryer with the optional pedestals. For what it's worth, they both scored well in Consumer Reports, and Samsung was the top rated washer/dryer manufacturer in J.D. Powers 2009 customer satisfaction survey.

We've had them for just over a week and my wife has done about a dozen loads of various sizes, including bulky bedding. So far, we are very impressed. Both are extremely quiet, especially the washer. During the washer's spin cycle, there can be a very brief period of moderate vibration as the speed is ramped up, but the washer makes some adjustments and all vibrations seem to be eliminated by the time it reaches max speed. Items come out of the washer much dryer than with our old top-load washer, and therefore require much less time and heat in the dryer. My wife also reports that my 100% cotton dress shirts come out with significantly fewer wrinkles and are therefore much easier to iron.

We could tell immediately that the new washer uses much less water. We were expecting the water level to be clearly visible through the front viewing port, but it wasn't. During the first load, we couldn't believe that there was adequate water in the machine to do a good job cleaning, but we were proved wrong. One minor drawback is that wash times are now longer (by about 10-15 minutes for a typical load according to my wife).

Both machines have a steam feature that we have yet to test. We might try the washer's steam setting on some heavily soiled rags/towels later this week to see if it cleans any better than a normal wash cycle. The washer also includes a feature called "Active Fresh" that supposedly injects silver ions into the wash and rinse water to sanitize laundry without having to use extremely hot water or bleach. I'm not sure how to tell if it really works, but it could be useful for sanitizing colored items.

Although the controls/settings initially looked a bit intimidating, they are actually quite easy to understand and set. This is good, because the operating manuals are short on details and do not offer much guidance. Oh yeah... I almost forgot to mention that we decided to purchase a 3-year extended warranty through Sears. This is something that we almost never do, but my research indicated that out-of-warranty repair costs are fairly high for these newer front loading appliances. In any case, nearly 80% of the cost of the warranties will be offset by the various local/state/utility rebates for which we qualify, and it was worth it for the peace-of-mind.

Regards,
Wino
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #77

We finally got ours installed last week. Samsung WF448 AP.
Ditto on all that you wrote.

DW is happy as pig in poop.

In some reports there were complaint of jeans getting permanent creases after wash. None for us. I have heavy duty cowboy jeans, come out of the wash just fine.

Did not buy extended warranty.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Oh yeah... I almost forgot to mention that we decided to purchase a 3-year extended warranty through Sears. This is something that we almost never do, but my research indicated that out-of-warranty repair costs are fairly high for these newer front loading appliances.
A couple of years ago I bought an extended warranty from Sears after my machine broke. Yep, they'll do that, and you don't have to have maintained an extended warranty in the previous period. I knew (based on research) that the cost of repairs would far exceed what I paid for the warranty, and they ended up just giving me a big voucher for a new washer . . . Which I used to buy a stove instead.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
In some reports there were complaint of jeans getting permanent creases after wash. None for us. I have heavy duty cowboy jeans, come out of the wash just fine.
Ditto. No problems with my jeans so far.

Quote:
A couple of years ago I bought an extended warranty from Sears after my machine broke. Yep, they'll do that, and you don't have to have maintained an extended warranty in the previous period. I knew (based on research) that the cost of repairs would far exceed what I paid for the warranty, and they ended up just giving me a big voucher for a new washer . . . Which I used to buy a stove instead.

Hmmm...our salesmen didn't mention anything about being able to buy the warranty later "as needed". He did say that we could cancel it within the first year and get all of our money back. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind for next time.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, that is outstanding. Maybe it is not too late to buy an extended warranty on mine now that the processor is only working on some wash modes.