front-load washer -- mold/mildew inevitable?

What type of detergent do all of you with no problems use? Dry, liquid, pods and if pods, do you put them directly in the washing drum? Are most of your cycles using cold, warm, or hot water? Just trying to find some difference to what we are doing, especially since so many of you just leave the door open while we do that plus clean the lower filter monthly and run the tub clean using chemicals monthly and still have a problem.

I use Arm & Hammer Sensitive Skin (my kids have skin issues) liquid detergent, probably a few tablespoons full per load. Plus I put generic Walmart brand lavender scented bleach in each load; I fill the bleach reservoir about half full. Both go in the pullout tray at the top.

Water temperature varies based on what I'm washing.

Washing machine and dryer are indoors laundry room, air temperature is usually between 68 and 71.

If things start smelling, it's usually that the filter in the front bottom needs to be cleared out. That happens about once every year or two.

Every now and then when the washer starts and expels a bit of water (looks to be dumping water held from the last load), we’ll get a nasty smell. Not always. I don’t know why it doesn’t expel all the water it can at the end of the previous cycle. Anyway, it’s not that often but it happens.

You might check your drain hose. After about 15 years, I actually read my washing machine's user manual and discovered that the installer failed to properly trim the drain hose. They just shoved about three or four feet of it down the drain pipe in the wall.

The user manual seemed to imply that too long of a drain hose can prevent proper drainage. Probably somehow related to siphoning action.

Anyway, I pulled out the drain hose, cut it down to the recommended length, put it back in the wall pipe, and things worked much better after that.

You might check your drain hose. After about 15 years, I actually read my washing machine's user manual and discovered that the installer failed to properly trim the drain hose. They just shoved about three or four feet of it down the drain pipe in the wall.

The user manual seemed to imply that too long of a drain hose can prevent proper drainage. Probably somehow related to siphoning action.

Anyway, I pulled out the drain hose, cut it down to the recommended length, put it back in the wall pipe, and things worked much better after that.

Thanks!!! This is something I will have to check as it seems like water may often stay in the outer drum (the so you can't see water in the inner stainless drum, but if you manually rotate that inner drum, it seems like there may be the kind of resistance that a liquid would give). During the monthly pre-pump lower cleanings, the water that drains out often smells absolutely horrible.

You might check your drain hose.

Checked it. The hose is what came with the washer. Looking at it, it dies not appear too long. I’ll check the manual though. Maybe the end of the hose is supposed to be higher or lower. Right now it’s at about the same height as the output opening on the washer.

Last edited:
For those of you with top loaders, did you get the impeller or the agitator? Our front-loader is getting long in the tooth, and I suspect its days are numbered. We will get a top loader next time.

Impeller on our LG HE top-load washer with stainless steel tub bought in 2010.

Some HE top-loaders now have a removable center agitator.

We had a front load and we got the dreaded sewer ish smell - no matter what we did. Then things got worse. We bought a top load Samsung. It blew up. Google it. There was a national court case and recall on it. It flooded our second floor laundry room. Lots of damage. Samsung gave us $50. We will never, ever buy a Samsung product again because of our experience.

So finally nirvana. We bought a top load LG washer. It has a bunch of water saving sensors on it. It’s quiet, no smells. It just works. We’ve had it now for three years. Zero problems.

May be a brand-specific situation or a drain hose problem leaving too much water in the tub.

Had a Kenmore/Whirlpool FL for several years in S.FL. in the garage, no A/C. Never a mold problem. Replaced it with an LG FL, and based on that experience, bought another one in the Panhandle (indoors this time). Never an odor problem with either.

I use the front load washers at my apartment building; they are very new but I don’t know what brand. When people don’t leave the door wide open after emptying, it only takes a couple days to really stink. When people leave the door open, it only stinks when a wet sock hides in the gasket folds.

I've never had a front loader. When I bought this house (back in 2015), I also bought a top loader HE LG oversized washer. OK, maybe that was overkill since there's only one of me! But I don't like doing laundry and with the oversized washer I can wash more at a time. Anyway, I don't have any trouble with mold or smells.

What type of detergent do all of you with no problems use? Dry, liquid, pods and if pods, do you put them directly in the washing drum? Are most of your cycles using cold, warm, or hot water? Just trying to find some difference to what we are doing, especially since so many of you just leave the door open while we do that plus clean the lower filter monthly and run the tub clean using chemicals monthly and still have a problem.

I use "All: Free and Gentle" liquid detergent. Most of my cycles are done using the normal settings (warm).

We avoided this issue as we know folks that got the new washers years ago, and told us of the smell problem.
We got a top load one, without the center impeller.

I like it as it can wash really large things, I don't like it because the agitation can't be as good.

I also don't like they lock the lid, I want to watch, but can't.
Someday I'll fool it so I can run the machine with the top open.

We avoided this issue as we know folks that got the new washers years ago, and told us of the smell problem.
We got a top load one, without the center impeller.

I like it as it can wash really large things, I don't like it because the agitation can't be as good.

I also don't like they lock the lid, I want to watch, but can't.
Someday I'll fool it so I can run the machine with the top open.

Our top loader has a glass lid so we can watch. :LOL:

Consumer Reports says not to use vinegar in washers and other similar appliances because acid can damage rubber lines and other internals that are designed for bases (eg, for bleach).

We've mostly used HE pods (directly in the drum) to ensure consistent detergent measuring. If we use liquid, we always use the first line, max, on the cup. That amount is well below all marks in the washer's detergent tray. We never use fabric softener in the washer.

Good point on the Afresh.

Every now and then when the washer starts and expels a bit of water (looks to be dumping water held from the last load), we’ll get a nasty smell. Not always. I don’t know why it doesn’t expel all the water it can at the end of the previous cycle. Anyway, it’s not that often but it happens.

We use liquid detergent and we use very little. It just doesn’t take much. Sometimes DW does use vinegar in the fabric softener area of the dispenser. We also do a load with bleach from time to time (when we wash our shower curtain). We also leave the door open for awhile but close it once we figure the seal and such is dried out. I the DW has cleaned out the filter a couple times on the 6 or so years we’ve had this machine.

The first thing I’d do is cut back on the detergent if you’re using too much. It really take very little. I’d also stop using the Afresh for awhile. If nothing else, if it’s not helping, why spend the money. It’s clearly not helping.

You might check your drain hose.

Checked it. The hose is what came with the washer. Looking at it, it dies not appear too long. I’ll check the manual though. Maybe the end of the hose is supposed to be higher or lower. Right now it’s at about the same height as the output opening on the washer.

So I read the manual and it instructed how to have the hose. The installers apparently did not read the manual. :LOL: I'm not sure if it will make any difference, but I corrected it as best I could.

The manufacture supplied a half circle bracket to put on the end of the hose to hang it in a stand pipe or over the edge of a sink. The installer did not use the bracket and just fastened the hose to my faucet and called it good. In the instructions, it said to use the bracket and not have the hose go past 4 inches from the end of the bracket. It warned that doing so could cause bacteria to grow. Seems unlikely. I hooked up the bracket and fastened the hose to my sink.

The other instruction was not as clear. It said the end of the hose should be no lower than 29 inches "from the bottom of the washer". Clear enough until I realize that I have the washer on a pedestal. This makes it impossible to have the hose higher than 29 inches from the bottom of the washer. Doing so would put the end of the hose about a foot above the edge of the sink. The way I have it, end of the hose is just above 29 inches from the floor. I hope that's good enough, but my feeling is that none of this will matter.

Anyway, it looks better now and it's out of the way, where it was not before, so not a bad little project. I think I'll pour some diluted bleach into the hose and clear that out of anything that might be growing in there. We'll see (smell) if that fixes the issue.

I have a 10-year-old Samsung front load washer and dryer. The manufacturer recommends wiping the glass front and gasket.

I do this after the wash as well as pulling out the detergent and bleach cups and dry the cups and tray that holds them. Occasionally I pull the entire tray, although Samsung does recommend that and draining the tray and taking a towel to the area where it sits and drying that out.

Leave everything open and let it air dry until next use. I have used dry detergent but find it clogs the machine, so switched to liquid and use half the amount. The filter is often almost entirely clean when I drain excess water and clean it.

Lots of positive feedback on the LG brand here. We were Kenmore people before but after experience with the LG top load washer and dryer we went with them for repcement of 22 yr old fridge and dishwasher. So far so good.

We have LG machines about 4 yo, but have only been here for 3 months, they came with the house and are awesome so far. Was going to say no problems, but now I am wondering if that is where the occasional septic smell is coming from in the bath / laundry room. We will have to clean things and investigate.

We have LG machines about 4 yo, but have only been here for 3 months, they came with the house and are awesome so far. Was going to say no problems, but now I am wondering if that is where the occasional septic smell is coming from in the bath / laundry room. We will have to clean things and investigate.

I have an LG also. As discussed above, I get the intermittent sewer smell also. Trying to get to the bottom of it. I’m sure it’s coming from the washer.

Drain traps can dry out and let sewer gas up. If you have a floor drain in the laundry, unused sink/shower etc, pour water or one plumber told me vegetable oil into the drain which doesn’t evaporate as quickly and it will cut off the smell.

We have an unused shower in a guest bath and every so often, especially when its hot outside, we’ll get the sewer gas.

No floor drain in our case, apart from the shower and that is not the problem.
Vegetable oil, interesting never heard of that one. But we use our drains.
No exhaust fan in the room, but I don't think it's just me stinking up the joint. :angel:

I bought a Miele washer and dryer after hearing about it on this forum 3 or 4 years ago. The installers weren't the brightest and had to call their service department to get the washer running. It was great for the first few months then I started having problems. The clothes would come out soaking wet. Certain wash cycles wouldn't stop spinning. You had to manually stop it. The service guy would come do something and it would work for a while then the same thing would happen. This last time they wanted to charge me for a replacement bulb. It's never lite up, I didn't even know there was a light in the opening. Trying to keep it clean can be a full time job. The drawer for the detergent/bleach/fabric softener has to be taken apart and scrubbed with bleach. The inside of the drawer compartment also has to be scrubbed. There are about 40 or 50 nozzles in the roof of that compartment. I still haven't found the right brush/sponge to clean it. The laundry area is not in a humid place. The Miele dryer has 3 different lint filters to clean. I no longer have to look for the correct brush because on Monday, I'm having a Speed Queen TR7 top loader & DR7 delivered. That was the worst $4000. investment I've ever made.

Anyone have similar experiences, or solutions? If you have a problem-free front-loader, how old is it? Thinking of switching to an HE top-loader.

YEPP, same problem. My solution: switched back to a top-load washer. No mold! Best decision ever. I was also having issues with the drum balance getting off-kilter. After fixing it twice, I decided it was a sign, with that plus the mold smell, we switched and never looked back.

I have an LG also. As discussed above, I get the intermittent sewer smell also. Trying to get to the bottom of it. I’m sure it’s coming from the washer.

We had LG front-loader. Now I own a GE top loader. Best decision I've made.

We had LG front-loader. Now I own a GE top loader. Best decision I've made.

Obviously, something’s amiss but my LG hasn’t needed any repairs in the 7 years we’ve owned it. When it goes, I probably will buy a top loader, but I’m in no hurry.

Obviously, something’s amiss but my LG hasn’t needed any repairs in the 7 years we’ve owned it. When it goes, I probably will buy a top loader, but I’m in no hurry.

Our LG appliances including washers have been repair free unless you consider mold and smell "broken". According to Consumer Reports, LG is top-notch in washers for reliability. Unfortunately, also according to CR, even top loaders without center agitator are at best "good/okay" (Yellow on CR) for gentleness on clothes whereas most of the better front-loaders (dominated by LG) are "best" (dark green) and virtually all are very good (light green). Top loaders also seem to be rated somewhat lower on cleaning ability.

Back
Top Bottom