Frugal shaving

I've been using a Norelco electric razor for the past 50 years and have been happy, but then what do I know. I like Bud Light, too. :LOL:

I used to use Norelco electric razors until Remington came out with their clone of a Norelco for half the cost.

My problem is keeping up with recharging cords--and razors. With 2 houses and a RV, I lose parts.

I waited too long to shave the other day and had to buy a new razor--my 3rd one. The next day, I found the cord that'd fit #1 and #2.

Retirement's tough--especially when I only shave on Wednesdays and Sundays.

DH has a goatee - but has to shave his cheeks and neck... He uses my razor in the shower. I have trained him to rinse it and dry it. (He wasn't doing that.)

I'll have to look into the dorco blades... we're using the mach 3.

Let's see....about 16 or 17 years ago, due to my anger at paying so much for blades, I bought a straight razor. BIG learning curve. For several weeks I looked like I was dating Lizzie Borden. After I got the hang of it, the straight razor gave me the best shave I've ever had. My problem was I could never get the hang of sharpening it. I tried and tried. I just suck at it. I didn't want to go back to cartridges so I bought a safety razor (you know, the double edge type). 100 blades cost me $18. They are good blades. I could stretch it but, I'm retired so I go through two to three blades a month, more if I feel like it. If I think it's even a little dull I chuck it.

After the initial cost of the razor, which can be cheap or expensive, you'll shave for about six bucks a year not counting soap/cream. You save so much you could even indulge yourself with a little higher-end cream. No maintenance, really. I also bought an old 1965 Gillette razor which is coded that it was made during the three months encompassing my birth. I use that on (around) my birthday.

There is a little bit of a learning curve with a safety. You don't press as hard as you do with a cartridge, for example. Tons of YT videos on the subject.

Ron

Last edited:
After some encouragement from members on this board, I switched to a straight razor several years back. It has been wonderful. After the initial expense of buying the razor, brush, strop and hone, it is virtually free (a little shaving soap every several months is the only ongoing expense). I very much enjoy the zen of straight razor shaving. It forces you to relax, use a steady hand and concentrate on what you are doing rather than all the other crazy stuff in your life. To me, it is quite satisfying, like handcrafting some project. I even enjoy sharpening my razors ( I have 7 of them). Plus, I get the closest shaves ever.

Since the stubble beard look is apparently accepted as a *style* and not evidence of being homeless, I now let my beard grow out for about a week between shaves. I use a safety razor, and even when I used to shave every day, I only replaced the razor once every 3 months approx. I have an average thickness beard and on those days when I'm not shaving right out of the shower, there is quite a rough feel to the act of shaving. But not bad enough to start a new blade.

I use an electric shaver...it takes 30 - 45 seconds a day, it's fast and no hassle. If there was a faster and more convenient method I'd consider it, but I haven't found one yet.

frugal shaving

DH has a goatee - but has to shave his cheeks and neck...

I grew a goatee a couple of years ago. I only shave the cheeks/neck area about twice a week. The goatee still looks pretty good with a two/three day growth next to it. I should have done it decades ago.

I buy CVS knock off double blade disposables (3 packs, using CVS bonus dollars), and get 3 weeks or so to a razor.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is where I am heading after being forced to shave for 34 plus years (pic). I will save tons! DW says she reserves the right to play Delilah some night
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1456319649.713170.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Beyond that I use a Mach 3. You can see lots of videos on the internet on how to prolong these puppies using an old piece of denim. Been doing that for a couple of years now. Definitely prolongs their life, but I haven't figured out how to do the same thing with the little single-blade on these razors that are used for trimming.

+1.

In ER, I am surprised to find myself shaving only twice a week -- if that. Depends on whether I have to look cleancut or not for some event or get-together.

But I also dry off my Mach 3 razor blades by pushing them against my bath towel. Then I strop the razor on denim -- about 7 times in each direction. It works well for me. A blade lasts 4 or 5 months this way. So I only buy a small pack of blades every couple of years at this point. Savings are huge.

both DW and I have been using Dorco for 2 years and like the results and prices. I started with the 6 blade but dropped to the 4 blade...seems better for my beard.

A couple of years ago I began experimenting with saving money on razors. The blades that worked best for shaving my head were the Gillette Mach 3, but I began to chafe at the prices. I briefly and carefully tested a straight razor, but while extremely frugal it was also rather unnerving. And slow.

Google eventually revealed a truly cheap alternative, Dorco. They make the razors used by the Dollar Shave Club. They also sell direct, so I ordered a box of 24 blades. I also ordered the handle, which came with an extra 3-blade and 4-blade cartridge. So 26 blades in all.

The order shipped in late September, 2014. I probably started using the blades in October.

I just double-checked my supply. I still have eight blades left, not counting the one on the razor.

Now I shave my head twice a week, same for my face. I sometimes shave my face separately, but I probably average 2x/week over a year. Those are some long-lasting blades! And this might be my most frugal purchase ever.

18 blades over 16-18 months or so. I may be averaging a blade a month. Wow. :dance:
Great free ad for Dorco. Congratulations!

After some encouragement from members on this board, I switched to a straight razor several years back.

... Plus, I get the closest shaves ever.

I thought about trying a straight razor, then remembered the minor earthquake the nearby quarry creates when it sets off a blast. :nonono:

I have been using the G's Mach III for many years now. They are expensive, but I have found that a good rinse and drying them off extends the life SIGNIFICANTLY. When I was still in the AF, I shaved 5 days a week...without fail. Now, I shave every 2-3 days. One blade will last me EASILY about a month and a half.

An update. This morning I finally used a blade from my new, recent order. That means my original purchase really did last me almost exactly two full years, an average of a blade per month. That is crazy!

The new handle came with a 4-blade razor attached. I'll use that one first, then transition into the three-blade box itself. This box should last through my first full year of retirement! Incredible.

If you want the most frugal shave, find the old school razor handle that opens by twisting the tail end. Buy the double edged razor blades. Take a large coffee cup and make a shaving mug with it by using the old school soap and a shaving brush. You can "sharpen" the blades with a bottle stopper cork. What yoy actually do is deburr the blade. They last a long time. Not the easiest or best shave, but cheap!

I am now experimenting with 5 blade equates rather than the 5 blade gillette. 1/3 the cost. I use lab series shaving creme. While i can now afford any level of shaving gear, unlike in grad school, when i used the old school method, i still seek value.

Based on the reports here I dropped a whole $23 or so on a Dorco with 10-12 5 blade cartridges. Handle takes a AAA battery, looking forward to starting to use it when we go to La Quinta next week. The Dorco website seems to be the cheapest option - now they are spamming me with great razor sales! Guys - it'll take me a year or more to get through the stuff I already bought!

Back
Top Bottom