Funny/annoying grammatical mistakes and odd neologisms

Just was in a meeting where yet another person used the term "mute point", rather than the correct "moot point". Don't know if this one has already been mentioned in this thread.

Those 10 words are my pet peeves. Couple of others:
Irregardless
Not a grammatical error but misspoken: "ax" as in, to express a question. I don't know if that pronunciation is just a local dialect here in the NYC metro area, but it irks me every time I hear it.

Not a grammatical error but misspoken: "ax" as in, to express a question. I don't know if that pronunciation is just a local dialect here in the NYC metro area, but it irks me every time I hear it.

Plenty of folks in New Orleans use "ax" for ask as well. However, the manager I knew who would say "ax", always spelled it "ask". I don't mind local dialects if the grammar is correct.

With regard to western movies in which the "calvary" rides to the rescue. Really messed with my mythos as I reconciled the self sacrificing troopers and the spear bearing Indians.

Those 10 words are my pet peeves. Couple of others:
Irregardless

I always preferred "irregardlessly" for emphasis...:ROFLMAO:

Not a grammatical error but misspoken: "ax" as in, to express a question.
There is a lengthy discussion at randomhouse.com:
While the pronunciation /aks/ for ask is not considered standard, it is a very common regional pronunciation with a long history. The Old English verb áscian underwent a normal linguistic process called metathesis sometime in the 14th century.
The Mavens' Word of the Day

your vs. you're -- again, and again, and again, and again, and again

then / than

abbreviating words because the writer (likely) does not know how to spell the word correctly. Example port or port. for portfolio.

How about this one, heard only on radio talk shows, not in real life, thankfully : "speaks to". As in " Ms. Slanski's article speaks to the state of our cities... blah, blah" Nauseating. First of all, an article does not speak, and if it did it would speak * about * not speak * to *. An equally enraging misuse is "goes to". "And that goes to the whole notion that... blah, blah" These folks also love to start any response to any question with the word "So," when it is completely unnecessary.

Slightly off-topic:

I work with a couple of Scottsmen these days, rewriting some operating manuals. They think they are Shakespeare. :angel: I have not heard English used so colorfully since Churchill.

It was hard to explain that "outwith" is not an English word. :facepalm: (But these manuals are for ESL [English as a second language] operators. It is a struggle sometimes.) :D

I do have to submit to English spellings, however.:(

Scottsmen?

You mean Scotsmen, I think?

Last night Brian Williams said that "Heavy D had a very unique sound..." Wouldn't someone have noticed that in the copy? I thought those national news organizations were on the ball. "Very unique" cannot be acceptable, it just doesn't make logical sense.

Then they had a story saying that Heavy D was dead at 44, but didn't say either how he died, or that no one knows how he died.

And while I'm dissing Brian Williams, count how many times he says "as always" in every broadcast. Usually about four times.

Last edited:
Here's a question--I remember someone being corrected for referring to their ancestors as Scotch instead of Scottish. Difference? I mean besides that one is a person and one is a drink?

I believe that the noun scotch means the people of Scotland, and Scottish means someone from Scotland.

I only know that when we lived in Scotland never to use the word scotch except as an adjective with reference to anything other than a person. (scotch beef, scotch whisky etc)

The one that bugs me is when people use "myself" instead of "me". As in, "If you need more information you can contact John Smith or myself." Seems like I hear it a lot lately, even from folks who you would think would know better.

Last night Brian Williams said that "Heavy D had a very unique sound..." Wouldn't someone have noticed that in the copy? I thought those national news organizations were on the ball. "Very unique" cannot be acceptable, it just doesn't make logical sense.

Then they had a story saying that Heavy D was dead at 44, but didn't say either how he died, or that no one knows how he died.

And while I'm dissing Brian Williams, count how many times he says "as always" in every broadcast. Usually about four times.

"somewhat unique" "especially unique"...

The one that bugs me is when people use "myself" instead of "me". As in, "If you need more information you can contact John Smith or myself." Seems like I hear it a lot lately, even from folks who you would think would know better.
That drives myself nuts!:rant:

On the CW channel they had an ad at the bottom of the screen. It read "See Ali McGraw in Love Storey."

Back
Top Bottom