Funny/annoying grammatical mistakes and odd neologisms

According to dictionary.com, gingerly is an adverb:
Gingerly | Define Gingerly at Dictionary.com

It means "with great care or caution; warily."

You're right, of course, W2R. :) And, it turns out that the word "gingerly" can be used as an adjective as well. And, apparently, there is an adjective "ginger". I found the following discussion of "gingerly " at "languagehat.com", which I found very interesting. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- GINGER(LY). Geoff Nunberg has a post at Language Log on the word gingerly: a NY Times story on Falluja included the statement "it was a gingerly first step," which pleased him by its proper use of gingerly as an adjective [thanks to Tim May for catching my original misstatement!]; then he had second thoughts about his idea of proper use: Maybe I should throw in the towel on this one, I thought, but then began to wonder whether there was ever actually a towel for me to be holding in the first place. In defense of the usage, gingerly began its life as an adverb. It was formed from the adjective ginger, "dainty or delicate," and the OED gives citations of its use as an adverb right up to the end of the 19th century -- the adjectival use appeared in the 16th century. And unlike most other adjectives in -ly, like friendly or portly, gingerly has an adverbial meaning, so that it can only apply to nominals denoting actions (like "step" in Ekholm and Schmidt's article); otherwise it requires a clumsy periphrasis like "in a gingerly way." Moreover, Merriam-Webster's exhaustive Dictionary of English Usage gives no indication that anybody has ever objected to the use of the word as an adverb. But the adjective ginger has been obsolete for a long time, and it's notable that nobody is tempted to back-form it anew, as in "his ginger handling of the question," which is what you'd expect if the adverbial gingerly were really analyzed as composed of the root ginger plus the derivational suffix -ly. What we seem to have here, rather, is a haplology (or "haplogy," as some linguists can't resist calling it), the process which gave us Latin nutrix in place of the predicted *nutritrix and which leads people to say missippi instead of mississippi. Gingerly is just the way the mental lexicon's gingerlyly comes out on the tongue or the page. That's natural enough, but there's something to be said for insisting that the word be used as an adjective, as one of the small obeisances we make to the capriciousness of grammar. (Followup here: it seems people do in fact use the back-formation ginger as an adjective, though not very often.) While I love the capriciousness of grammar, I think this battle has been lost, tradition giving way to convenience. ------------------------------------

Last edited:
I saw one on one of those humor sites the other day where a girl posted that she had to get her kid out of the house to play, as he was becoming "cost of phobic".
I collect homophones as a minor hobby, but this one was especially awesome.

I saw one on one of those humor sites the other day where a girl posted that she had to get her kid out of the house to play, as he was becoming "cost of phobic".
I collect homophones as a minor hobby, but this one was especially awesome.
On Kijiji today someone is advertising an outdoor table with 'Rod Iron' legs.

Oh, what language hath wrought.

On Kijiji today someone is advertising an outdoor table with 'Rod Iron' legs.

Maybe it was this:

contemporary-table-in-certified-wood-fsc-certified-243397.jpg

I don't recall where: someone posting about "pledge of legions".

Look . . .

Is it just me or does it seem like the talking heads and politicians on television are starting more and more sentences with the words "Look ..." or "Listen ..."?

I am starting to not like being told to Look or Listen.

would this be better? lookie here....

Is it just me or does it seem like the talking heads and politicians on television are starting more and more sentences with the words "Look ..." or "Listen ..."?

I am starting to not like being told to Look or Listen.

I've been hearing a lot of "ya know" lately. Especially from Hillary Clinton.

"Narrative" is a new buzzword. Every political reporter has to use the word "narrative" at least once in every piece.

Without reaading all of the posts where this might have been mentioned, I am very conscious of people starting every answer to a question with the word "well". It's hard not to do it myself but I am so aware of it that I start thinking about my response before the question is finished. That is bad because it signals that I am not a good listener. I try to just start the answer without using the word "well". Watch on TV. Even seasoned news reporters do this.

My sister-inlaw came up with a new one the other day. We all know what a "chest of drawers" is. She calls it "Chester" drawers. I asked her about it and she said she thought it was like the "Chesterfield" as the British call a sofa. She still has a language all her own. She still calls a chimney a "chimley" and a pillow, a "pillar". Another word she slays me with is "amalance" for ambulance. I know she got it from her dad who always used strange words like "sireen" for siren. A garden hose has always been a "hose pipe". Many others I can't think of right now.

Speaking of funny stuff, lately I noted an awful lot of teenagers, college kids speak rudimentary German. Instead of saying yes, the use, the German version of yes, Ja (yaa is what it sounds like).
On the plus side "valley talk" has gone the way of Dodo.

Subject: capitalization

From a Teacher -- short and to the point.

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more
people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art
of capital letters.

For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the
following statement: "Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that?

Subject: capitalization

From a Teacher -- short and to the point.

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more
people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art
of capital letters.

For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the
following statement: "Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that?
This teacher had better watch his back- he'll soon be out of a job and possibly in jail. Don't forget, this is America in 2012, not 1970.

It's part of the new narrative...

Another word that seems to be popping up - 'optics'. Anyone else notice that?

I think they are using it instead of saying 'and this is how the event will be viewed', and just say ' the 'optics' of this event are.... '

-ERD50

I think they are using it instead of saying 'and this is how the event will be viewed', and just say ' the 'optics' of this event are.... '

-ERD50

ERD50, No, thankfully I have not. Thanks for the warning. I guess to be cool now you have to say "optics" instead of "spin".

-ERD50

This is the sort of crap being peddled in business school... Part of the new narrative. :LOL:

This is the sort of crap being peddled in business school... Part of the new narrative. :LOL:

Is paddling obfuscation a new requirement for a Harvard MBA? Or was it always a core subject?:D

Almost all of mine have been mentioned already, but here a couple of verbal things I haven't seen mentioned yet.
The always popular "nuke-u-ler"
Pronouncing the "t" in often. It rhymes with soften, folks.
Accent on the first syllable in "insurance"

The latest buzzword around here lately is "pain".

"I know the confusion over the accounts has caused you pain. We are trying to minimize your pain by reworking all of your accounts, which is quite a painful endeavor".....etc.

In one e-mail, the word "pain" appeared 7 times!

I was in pain!

Almost all of mine have been mentioned already, but here a couple of verbal things I haven't seen mentioned yet.
The always popular "nuke-u-ler"
Pronouncing the "t" in often. It rhymes with soften, folks.
Accent on the first syllable in "insurance"

I recall this from relatives in Maine back in the '50s.

Back
Top Bottom