Funny Find My Iphone Story

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
On the way back from the amusement park, Jenny's BF realized he didn't have his iPhone. They used the app Find my iPhone to locate it, and get a satellite image of the exact location. He went to the park the next day, and they let him in. They went to the spot, but it wasn't there.

So, he calls Jenny, and she sets it up to override the vibrate-only mode, and make a loud noise. The noise is coming from above him, and he climbs up, and locates the phone in one of the roller coaster cars.

Isn't it great what technology and problem solving can do? Great story, Al, Jenny and BF!

So, he calls Jenny, and she sets it up to override the vibrate-only mode, and make a loud noise. The noise is coming from above him, and he climbs up, and locates the phone in one of the roller coaster cars.
Another triumph of technology over common sense?

Cool. But it is the same technology that allows other people to encroach on your privacy. Now, your location may be known to anybody who knows your number.

If the vibrate-only mode can be over-riden, who knows what other feature of the phone can be changed. Take a picture, possibly?

KingB said:
Cool. But it is the same technology that allows other people to encroach on your privacy. Now, your location may be known to anybody who knows your number.

Oh geez, FUD much? Anyone who has your login and password you mean.

Now if they would only devise as good a finder to attach to a key ring. Those clapper gizmo's never did work well.

I have actually not found an app to remotely make my iPod touch beep. the above app doesn't work on my generation of iPod.

Cool tech, but I think you have to pay for monthly service. Not cool for us LBYMers.

That app is free, don. I just downloaded it. Called find my iphone. :)
I don't have an iPhone so I can't check it out but doesn't it use a web site for the "find" part? Is that service free long term?

You just log on with your Apple ID once you load it on the Apple device (iphone or ipad) and then it pulls up the devices you have registered already. All I had to do is enter the ID. PFM. :)

I don't have an iPhone so I can't check it out but doesn't it use a web site for the "find" part? Is that service free long term?
Never mind, it looks like it uses Mobile Me which used to cost, then went free, and is (apparently) migrating to iCloud next year which may or may not be free? :confused: Sounds like it is worth using free as long as you can.

I read the reviews for that app and there is some consensus that they send way too many e-mails in the latest version, and people found that to be annoying.

Plus, I found out that even without the app I can find my phone because a mobileme subscription was free when I activated my iPhone 4. All I have to do is go to the me.com website and log in. It takes a few minutes, and the phone has to be on, but bingo! There is my iPhone.

I've found that I can set up a google calendar item with alarm a minute in the future and use that to have the iPod chirp.

There must be some technical reason no one has written a paging app.

Never mind, it looks like it uses Mobile Me which used to cost, then went free, and is (apparently) migrating to iCloud next year which may or may not be free? :confused: Sounds like it is worth using free as long as you can.

Basic icloud will be free.
The basic version will be useful / sufficient for most people
it looks like. you can go to the apple site and watch
the last part of the link below:

Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event June 2011

if you want to know all the details about icloud..

My I-phone fell out of my pocket of my gym shorts while visiting my mother in the hospital last year. It was entirely my fault as I could feel the pocket was overloaded.
I used my computer to first locate it as I have mobile me. Then I lost the location for several hours. Someone probably powered the phone off. Finally when I was able to track it again it was miles north of the hospital and I live south.

I started the remote wipe, had the phone # disabled and had to buy a new phone.

Back
Top Bottom