Games on iPad

happy2bretired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Someone mentioned playing games on their iPad and suspected it was helping their brain. What games do you play on your iPads? I refuse to be sucked into games on Facebook but games on my iPad sounds kinda fun.

I do solitaire once in a while and a crossword almost every day. I had Angry Birds for a while, played it a dozen times or so, lost interest and deleted it (guess I'm a fuddy duddy)...

I wanted to try lumosity.com but didn't due to registration/cost (forget which), but I may try it after all.

Scrabble and Trainyard are my favorites.

Scrabble. I prefer the iPhone version over the iPad version -- they work equally well on the iPad, and this way I can switch seamlessly from one to the other. I like the ability to call up a random opponent whenever I want one and play against a real person. Since most people treat games like email, everyone makes moves on their own schedule. So I typically have at least half a dozen games in progress at once.

Flow - you have to make connections between colored dots on a grid, and I found it to be a good pattern recognition and logic and visual challenge. It does seem to stimulate the brain in ways that are different from most everyday tasks. I DL'd a free one for iPod touch, but it is better on a larger iPad screen. Android or iPhone/iPad.

Here's a not-so-great video, but you get the idea (skip to ~ 1:00)

Ipod/Android game showcase: Flow free - YouTube

-ERD50

Scrabble. I prefer the iPhone version over the iPad version -- they work equally well on the iPad, and this way I can switch seamlessly from one to the other. I like the ability to call up a random opponent whenever I want one and play against a real person. Since most people treat games like email, everyone makes moves on their own schedule. So I typically have at least half a dozen games in progress at once.

Me too. I [-]waste[/-] spend way too much time playing Scrabble these days.

Wow, this is a dangerous thread for people like me who still w@rk.

I've never heard of FLOW. Downloaded it and played 50 levels before I tore myself away...I need colored patterns!

What a great idea for a thread! I love good suggestions for iPad games.

Right now, every day I play Sudoku (the one I have is "Big Bad Sudoku Book") and Gardens of Time on my iPad.

Probably my favorite iPad game is 4 Elements (and/or 4 Elements II), and I have enjoyed every game that team (Playrix) has come up with, such as Fishdom, FishdomII, Gardenscapes, Royal Envoy, and so on.

Last edited:
On myKindle Fire, my new favorite is Unolingo. Not sure if it is available on iPad.
Unolingo presents you with a partially filled crossword puzzle, with no clues, and you fill in the blanks with letters A-Z to complete the puzzle.

My favorite game for years has been Sherlock, which is available on iPad, but I think it plays better on PC, with a mouse.

Sherlock is similar to solving the sort of brain-teaser puzzles that give you a series of clues, like, "There are five people seated at a table, Mr Green is seated to the left of the man wearing the red tie, the man wearing the black tie is two seats to the left of the man with the blue shirt, etc...." and you have to figure out who is seated at which position.

I also enjoy Sudoku.

I am afraid to look!

But I did and downloaded the free version. Interesting!

PS I cannot do Sudoku to save my life. I am not even sure I can spell it!

Last edited:

On Words with Friends, usually the max 21 games are going.

I have long-standing "random" partners.

FREE VERSIONS ONLY -I DO NOT PAY FOR iPAD games
MOXIE
YOU DON'T KNOW JACK
BEJEWELED BLITZ
LOGOSQUIZ
WHERE'S MY WATER
CUT THE ROPE
WORD WARP

Play solitaire a lot. Used to play chicktionary. And now flow after reading this thread - very addicting.

Last edited:
Not much time for games, but I enjoy space invaders, car racing and flight simulators. No war games or violent stuff.

Play many of the ones mentioned.

Installed Plants vs. Zombies when it was free last week, pretty entertaining.

Downloaded some variants of Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja, again when free. Really amazing how simple games could be entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom