Gas Oven Does Not Heat

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Worked fine a few days ago. The burners on top work fine so there is gas and the clock and oven controls seem to work so there is electrical power.
Problem and cost to have fixed? Range is GE perhaps 8-10 yrs old.
My favorite (only) know-nothing fix didn't work......turn off power at the breaker and reboot...............it works for so many other things; just the other day, I got a non-functioning mouse (couldn't see cursor) working by doing just that.

What kind of ignition system? If it is the glow coil type and it is either not on or glowing too weakly (not bright and hot), could be time for a new one. If it has a standing pilot with a little thermocouple type thing that goes into the safety valve, it could be the valve.

Last edited:
Propane or gas line? If it's propane, check that the tank hasn't gone so low as not having enough pressure. A natural gas line could do the same, I suppose, but you'd think the utility would be monitoring this.

Most likely you have an igniter. If it glows, that's the problem. 99% sure, I'm an appliance guy.

Yep. My bet is bad igniter - what has fooled me is that it may well glow brightly but still be bad. Silly me - I thought if the electric fluid was squirting through the wires that proved all was well. Turns out igniters aren't the same as incandescent light bulbs. A sample igniter photo and price, not necessarily one that fits your oven or budget:
GE WB13K21 Oven Igniter - AppliancePartsPros.com

another vote for ignitor. I keep one on hand for my use or in any of the rentals we own. Kind of like keeping a thermo couple around for emergencies.

The igniter most likely. Even though it may flaming hot glowing, if the current draw is not enough the gas valve will say..."nope!"

OP - if you go the ignitor repair route, you can test if there is enough current being drawn with a special meter.
Our stove ignitor was not cheap like the one above , that plus the ignitors for 2 burners that had gone out, meant it was time to replace our ~15+ yr old stove.

We have a GE range and I replace the igniter every 2 or 3 years when it starts acting up. Find the part on Amazon and replacement is very easy. Apparently, it's a "consumable" part, like the light bulb in your microwave.

Thanks all for your wisdom and esp. the links to the part. I was halfway expecting to hear thermocouple like ronin mentioned but just realized that our furnace is ancient but the oven is relatively new so things have changed.

Back
Top Bottom