Gas Prices

I buy my gas at Costco almost all the time. From Jan 29 to Feb 28, the price went from a low of $2.09 to $2.79 today. Big jump in one month. I feel for people who commute.

I last got gas on February 5th, and the prices will be higher the next time I need gas. It's already gone up at least 20 cents/gallon here, since then.

Big jump in gasoline last 10 days in so-cal , like over 20 cents. Diesel is not up much.#2 Diesel in now cheaper than R.U.G. Haven't seen that for a long time locally.

The local XOM refinery (150,000 bbl day) is still at limited capacity , repairs after an explosion in feb. are going slowly.

Reviving an old thread on gas prices since prices around here seem to be dropping again. $1.69 to $1.74 for regular is pretty common for discount stations here in East Texas but I saw it for $1.57 in Houston a few days ago at a brand named station. I suspect it's cheaper at some locations but I actually saw these.

Never thought I'd see prices like this again.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread on gas prices since prices around here seem to be dropping again. $1.69 to $1.74 for regular is pretty common for discount stations here in East Texas but I saw it for $1.57 in Houston a few days ago at a brand named station.

Maybe I should move to Texas. Here it's $1.99 for regular and $2.69 for the premium fuel I need.

I need premium in a couple of my cars too. It seems to be averaging about $2.39 around here but regular is really getting cheap.

Reviving an old thread on gas prices since prices around here seem to be dropping again. $1.69 to $1.74 for regular is pretty common for discount stations here in East Texas but I saw it for $1.57 in Houston a few days ago at a brand named station. I suspect it's cheaper at some locations but I actually saw these.

Never thought I'd see prices like this again.
We just drove down to Florida from Illinois, passing through Kentucky, Tennessee and Gerogia. The least expensive gasoline I saw was $1.87, most was $1.99. I filled up this morning at Costco, premium @ $2.49.

$1.73 at Costco about 10 days ago, and I saw the same price at a major station yesterday. Southwestern Ohio.

I paid $1.66 at Costco in Houston on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I usually hit wawa and use penfed.org cc for 5% discount. That would be something close to 1.80.

I see two Mobil stations close by for $1.71 on gas buddy.

$2.55 here in Vegas today. I paid $2.05 in Bellingham at COSCO Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I don't understand why gas is so high in Nevada while in most states is under $2.

I don't understand why gas is so high in Nevada while in most states is under $2.

No petroleum refineries in NV cause fuel transportation costs to retail market to be high. Add in the tourists and the prices are higher.

2.59 in SoCal.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Wow! At Costco here on Oahu I've been paying $2.45. With SoCal housing prices in the same range as here, I'm beginning to wonder if Paradise is actually cheaper than SoCal. YMMV

$2.05/gal yesterday at the Oregon coast at Costco. I would love to see some of the under $2 gas around here.

Refinery issues (especially the mandated bends) drive a lot of the price differential.

As do taxes:

How High Are Gas Taxes in Your State? | Tax Foundation

Sample state gas taxes per gallon:

PA: 52¢
HI: 45¢
CA: 43¢
WA: 38¢
FL: 36¢
MD: 32¢
OH: 28¢
UT: 25¢
NH: 23¢
TX: 20¢
AZ: 19¢
AK: 12¢

It's all in the gas tax. PA now ranks #1 in highest gas tax in the country; NJ ranks #49.

Price of gas is higher in WV and I don't know why. Lower in VA.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We in MO benefit from low gas taxes and a nearby refinery. $1.63 a gallon here today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I started driving in the late 60's, the price of gas was about .35 (cents) a gallon. Sometimes less during a gas war. According to the on line inflation calculator I used that would be $2.39 today.

Having a pretty good idea what it takes to find oil $$$, secure leases $$$, get the oil out of the ground $$$, transport it to a refinery $$$, refine it $$$, transport it again to the gas stations for the consumer $$$ not to mention all the supporting infrastructure and people $$$$$$$$$ to get all of that done, it's amazing to me that it's so cheap (and plentiful).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom