Gas Price Spread: Regular vs Premium

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Curious what the gasoline price spread is in your area between regular and premium? Around Cincinnati the spread has increased to a full $1.00/gal between regular (87 octane) and premium (93 octane). The mid grade (89 octane) is usually right between at $.50/gal more than regular.

I just can't believe the price spread and how it has increased over the years. Used to be around $.20-.30/gal increase for premium over regular. Then it became $.50, then $.70, to the point it is now $1.00!! I know it is not that increase due to material cost, I believe it is just profit increase for the most part. I just filled regular today at Costco for $3.12 and premium was $4.12. That $1.00 is common at other gas stations as well. Premium is basically a 30% higher price. Good thing I only need premium for one of my old cars.

So what's the price spread where you are?

It is around 85 cents by me. In my travels I have noticed it was always higher here than most other places. The gap I mean, not the actual price. I guess it is even worse by you.

In the ATL suburbs, the spread is $0.30 as you move to a higher grade of gas.

So regular $3.15, mid grade $3.45, premium $3.75. Prices are from QuickTrip down the street.

A few years ago the spread was only $0.15 per grade…….

Last edited:
Maryland, Costco is $3.22 for regular and $3.74 for premium - so 52 cents. It used to be around 25 cents, maybe two years ago.

Premium is currently priced around $0.50/gal more than regular here. Not sure if that's more or less than usual as I don't watch premium prices.

What I do watch is diesel prices, which have been from $0.30 to $1.00/gal more than regular since 2006, when the govt mandated lower sulfur content. For some reason, the past few weeks the price of diesel here has declined and is now at or very near the price of regular. I've even seen a couple of stations where it is a few cents less than regular.

Guess I sold my diesel truck too soon...

Around Cincinnati the spread has increased to a full $1.00/gal between regular (87 octane) and premium (93 octane).

Here on the other side of the river (Northern KY) the spread is a minimum of a buck, usually closer to $1.10.

Premium is currently priced around $0.50/gal more than regular here. Not sure if that's more or less than usual as I don't watch premium prices.

What I do watch is diesel prices, which have been from $0.30 to $1.00/gal more than regular since 2006, when the govt mandated lower sulfur content. For some reason, the past few weeks the price of diesel here has declined and is now at or very near the price of regular. I've even seen a couple of stations where it is a few cents less than regular.

Guess I sold my diesel truck too soon...

Goods transportation by the railroads is down a lot lately, and therefore less truck demand for the last mile of transport.

Less demand, means lower price, I think that is why diesel is down.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RAILFRTINTERMODAL

Out of curiosity, I checked the nationwide spread between regular and premium. The last column shows the % difference.

On a related note, I've been watching the nationwide gas prices. Here's a map.
Note that Washington state is now competing with California for the highest gas prices. Washington just added a "carbon tax", so it's a tax on the providers- not a direct tax, but still is reflected in the high gas prices. Note that Pennsylvania has the highest gas tax, yet not the highest gas prices.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-01 171637.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-01 171637.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2023-05-01 171958.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-01 171958.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-05-01 172807.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-01 172807.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 35
My car "requires" premium. But it burns regular just fine.

I never buy premium.

So I have kind of lost track of the premium for premium.

Last edited:
I'm happy when a local chain gas station sells E85 for $1.85 periodically since I have a couple of vehicles that can take it.

Last year is was close to a $1 spread most of the time... Now it's more like 35 to 40 cents. Not sure when the gap closed but I do use both and just pay "whatever". Also I noticed diesel is way down this year... Need that for my tractor too.

Today, regular can be bought for as low as 3.03 and premium for 3.39, around here anyway.

Last edited:
Today the cheapest station near me is $3.199/gal regular and $3.799/gal premium, so $0.60 spread. I remember when the spread seemed to be $0.20 day in and day out, but I don’t pay attention since I wouldn’t own a car that didn’t use regular.

Out of curiosity, I checked the nationwide spread between regular and premium. The last column shows the % difference.

On a related note, I've been watching the nationwide gas prices. Here's a map.
Note that Washington state is now competing with California for the highest gas prices. Washington just added a "carbon tax", so it's a tax on the providers- not a direct tax, but still is reflected in the high gas prices. Note that Pennsylvania has the highest gas tax, yet not the highest gas prices.

State tax map reminds me, what are EV's paying?

I see the costs vary considerably just within a few miles. I don't usually pay attention to anything other than regular gas (87). I filled up yesterday at $3.45 but every other place was $3.59 to $3.79 and all within 2 miles. I did notice one place had premium listed on their sign for more than $4. Regular tends to fluctuate daily as much as $.30.

Cheers!

The TX state legislature just passed a bill to add a flat $200 to the annual registration fee for EVs (not hybrids). It goes into effect on Sept 1.

Gas is $3.04 for regular and $4.04 for premium at our local Costco. I remember, not too long ago, when each step up in grade was $.10. I can’t imagine that a dollar extra for premium is anything more than profiteering. Probably at least $.50 of it anyway.

The TX state legislature just passed a bill to add a flat $200 to the annual registration fee for EVs (not hybrids). It goes into effect on Sept 1.
Plus an initial $400 at the time of purchase. IIRC

Washington State just passed a carbon tax thing which they said would not raise prices much (they said maybe a penny) but the experts said it could raise prices around $0.45 a gallon.

Our regular unleaded went up in a very short time about exactly $0.45 a gallon. Go figure.

I thought I saw Diesel lower than regular here, so I checked "gasbuddy" - yep, ~ 10-20 cents cheaper. Regular to Premium spread is ~ $1.

Curious what drives that spread, I'd think the cost of anti-knock compounds would not track the cost of oil/refining. I'd almost expect a fixed delta.

Reminder, if your car's manual does not state that you need Premium, there is no benefit in using it. It isn't 'better', it's just different in a way that only helps if the engine is designed for it. If not, it's just a waste.

-ERD50

Here in Crownsville MD, I just topped off at the local Highs gas station. 87 was $3.299, and I think 93 was $3.899. I didn't check the 89 price, but usually this particular station puts it right in the middle, which would make it $3.599.

I've seen many stations though, where 89 is priced much closer to 93. A few years back (okay, probably longer ago than I think), I had gotten into the habit of filling up my 2012 Ram Hemi when it got down to about a half tank. I'd alternate between 87 and 93. If I let it get really low, I'd put in about half 87 and half 93, and with the way prices were, and the price disparity, in those instances I probably saved about $5-6, versus filling it with 89.

I dunno if this is true or not, but I remember hearing that with the Chevy 4.3/262 V6, if you put high test in it, versus 87, it could actually damage it. I think it had something to do with the computer system getting confused, and messing with the spark timing or something.

Another instance, that might be an urban legend. I had a 2000 Intrepid with the base 2.7 DOHC V6. It called for 87 octane. However, supposedly it used some of the same electronics as the 3.5 in the Chrysler 300M. As a result, if you ran it at something like 90% WOT (Wide Open Throttle), supposedly the onboard diagnostics could tell, and would adjust the spark/timing/whatever, and give you better performance. I never bothered to try it out, because I didn't buy that car to take it drag racing!

But yeah, for the most part, a higher octane is just money wasted. Now with older cars, as they aged, when the combustion chambers started getting carboned up, and the valvetrain would clatter on hard acceleration, a higher octane would help. But I don't think that's much of an issue any more.

Curious what drives that spread, I'd think the cost of anti-knock compounds would not track the cost of oil/refining. I'd almost expect a fixed delta.
-ERD50
Actually, the anti-knock components are really just maybe 2 or 3 of the 6-8 different gasoline blending steams within a refinery from which gasoline is blended from. Each blending stream having it own octane value. For example, the high octane blending streams like alkylate and reformate have maybe an octane near 100, whereas, cat cracked gasoline is likely closer to the low 80s in octane. Someone's job is to blend these 6 to 8 streams into gasoline at 87.01 octane (target for no giveaway), octane of 93, etc., and of course ending with no leftover blending streams in the long run (that's the real trick).

Is it just me, or does it seem like the states with higher Regular gas prices have a smaller spread between Regular and Premium than do the states with lower Regular gas prices? Not in terms of percentage, but actual cost.

Actually, the anti-knock components are really just maybe 2 or 3 of the 6-8 different gasoline blending steams within a refinery from which gasoline is blended from. Each blending stream having it own octane value. For example, the high octane blending streams like alkylate and reformate have maybe an octane near 100, whereas, cat cracked gasoline is likely closer to the low 80s in octane. Someone's job is to blend these 6 to 8 streams into gasoline at 87.01 octane (target for no giveaway), octane of 93, etc., and of course ending with no leftover blending streams in the long run (that's the real trick).

Thanks - I was thinking it was just additives (like the outlawed TE-Lead), but a refinery balance issue would be more directly related to oil/refinery prices.

-ERD50

Is it just me, or does it seem like the states with higher Regular gas prices have a smaller spread between Regular and Premium than do the states with lower Regular gas prices? Not in terms of percentage, but actual cost.

If the higher price is state taxes that are per gallon rather than per $, that would explain a smaller spread (the gas price is a lower % of the total price).

edit - well, I guess that would still explain a % change, the fixed delta would be the same? Example:

$3 reg $4 premium,

add $1 in tax:

$4 reg $5 premium - same fixed delta

-ERD50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom