Join Early Retirement Today

Geographically accurate BBQ map
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Geographically accurate BBQ map

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Administrator

Getting BBQ in south Louisiana is like getting gumbo in Mississippi; not something you really want to do. The latter is likely to taste like fish soup made with dirty dishwater, and the former? Well, I will just say that the ONLY restaurant here that I ever pleaded to not return to ever again, was a BBQ place. Really, really awful after living in Texas for a dozen years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

BBQ can definitely be luck of the draw around here. I've had GREAT BBQ on the border between SC and GA, I like stopping there on my regular road trips between FL and NC

We've got two great places here in Jacksonville, which is not a good amount, since there's one on every corner.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I can't believe Texas Monthly left out cabrito!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

There is no question in my mind that the finest BBQ anywhere on the planet is what comes out of the Big Green Egg in my backyard!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Awww heck...Texas don't have nothing on South Carolina! We don't even consider Texas Down South!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Awww heck...Texas don't have nothing on South Carolina! We don't even consider Texas Down South!
My son will be attending Clemson in the fall, so if you have an specific recommendations in that area (including Greenville), it would be much appreciated!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Texans believe they have superior BBQ....being born in NC, but living 30+ yrs in Texas & Louisiana, I have to plead the 5th....

Texas has some GREAT BBQ, but I love my NC & SC pork as well. Most times I drive up to NC to visit family, I stop off at Maurice's in Columbia, SC for some good mustard-based stuff.

While I'm in NC, I eat the vinegar based bbq with some cole slaw & hush puppies once or twice. However, back in Texas, there's no denying that tender, juicy brisket.

I'm especially fond of Zimmerhanzel's, a family-owned joint in my wife's hometown of Smithville, TX.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

BBQ around here varies. My nephew's BBQ restaurant has a sweeter taste, which I like. But I like different varieties.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The NC reference seems off. Vinegar based minced or chopped pork shoulder is eastern NC. Western NC tends to be bigger chunks and not minced, in a sauce that is red and watery (maybe vinegar and tomato sauce??). Classic east vs west battle. I like the eastern myself. But can't hardly get bbq in a restaurant any more since it is so easy and cheap to make at home really really well.

Similar dichotomy in slaw in NC. Red slaw in western NC, typically mayo based white slaw in eastern NC, although mustard based slaw could be found.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The NC reference seems off. Vinegar based minced or chopped pork shoulder is eastern NC. Western NC tends to be bigger chunks and not minced, in a sauce that is red and watery (maybe vinegar and tomato sauce??). Classic east vs west battle. I like the eastern myself. But can't hardly get bbq in a restaurant any more since it is so easy and cheap to make at home really really well.

Similar dichotomy in slaw in NC. Red slaw in western NC, typically mayo based white slaw in eastern NC, although mustard based slaw could be found.

True. I'm from the more eastern area of NC. The pork tends to be more finely chopped. "White" coleslaw is more widely used in that part of the state, but some restaurants offer both. My best bud prefers the red, while I'm more traditional with the mayo based stuff. I usually buy a couple lbs of NC bbq to take back to TX/LA with me. It stays in the freezer till I get the urge. Wife is from Texas & doesn't care for Carolina bbq.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
My son will be attending Clemson in the fall, so if you have an specific recommendations in that area (including Greenville), it would be much appreciated!
Well, he's going to have to decide if he's a mustard man or a vinegar man.

My people are from the Midstate, so I'm firmly in the vinegar camp, but here in the Lowcountry, mustard is more common. I think in the Upstate, you will find more vinegar than mustard.

I've heard good things about the Smoking Pig in Pendleton, which isn't far from Clemson.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Well, he's going to have to decide if he's a mustard man or a vinegar man.

My people are from the Midstate, so I'm firmly in the vinegar camp, but here in the Lowcountry, mustard is more common. I think in the Upstate, you will find more vinegar than mustard.

I've heard good things about the Smoking Pig in Pendleton, which isn't far from Clemson.
I found this picture of Sarah at a southern barbecue :

images.jpeg
Old 05-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Now to add more fuel to the fire! What about Santa Maria tri-tip from California? It's the end they chop off the briskit, and usually a cheaper cut. My husband has perfected his smoking technique, delicious! What can I say? I'm a west coast girl. We are looking forward to sampling the Kansas City style BBQ when we move to Leavenworth this summer.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkopel View Post
Now to add more fuel to the fire!
But is that fuel mesquite, hickory, apple, pecan...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks like Sarah is eating vinegar and pepper BBQ...just like Marty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carolinas.jpg (60.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Looks like Sarah is eating vinegar and pepper BBQ...just like Marty!

That map looks to be very accurate! At least as far as the line in NC.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Quote:
What about Santa Maria tri-tip from California?
But is that fuel mesquite, hickory, apple, pecan...
Around Santa Maria, it could only be mesquite.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #19

Yes, that Carolinas map looks about right, though I do admit to living in mustard-country. And WHO ARE those tomato based people? I've never met anyone willing to admit to it!
Man, have we had some good stuff in Lexington NC, though.
Redbug, you ever been to Sweatman's? Now that's a drive worth making!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Yes, that Carolinas map looks about right, though I do admit to living in mustard-country. And WHO ARE those tomato based people? I've never met anyone willing to admit to it!
Man, have we had some good stuff in Lexington NC, though.
Redbug, you ever been to Sweatman's? Now that's a drive worth making!
My mom is a tomato sauce added person (western NC). Ugg. No thanks. It reminds me of a weird sauce on stewed meat. Like a runny sweet and sour sauce.

Gimme dat vinegar based sauce any day!

Lexington is right on the line, I guess west of there you start seeing more tomato sauce based bbq. Not sure about Charlotte - can't say I have ever had any bbq in Charlotte.