Geographically accurate BBQ map

Getting BBQ in south Louisiana is like getting gumbo in Mississippi; not something you really want to do. The latter is likely to taste like fish soup made with dirty dishwater, and the former? Well, I will just say that the ONLY restaurant here that I ever pleaded to not return to ever again, was a BBQ place. Really, really awful after living in Texas for a dozen years.

BBQ can definitely be luck of the draw around here. I've had GREAT BBQ on the border between SC and GA, I like stopping there on my regular road trips between FL and NC :D

We've got two great places here in Jacksonville, which is not a good amount, since there's one on every corner.

There is no question in my mind that the finest BBQ anywhere on the planet is what comes out of the Big Green Egg in my backyard! :cool:

Awww heck...Texas don't have nothing on South Carolina! We don't even consider Texas Down South!

Awww heck...Texas don't have nothing on South Carolina! We don't even consider Texas Down South!

My son will be attending Clemson in the fall, so if you have an specific recommendations in that area (including Greenville), it would be much appreciated!

Texans believe they have superior BBQ....being born in NC, but living 30+ yrs in Texas & Louisiana, I have to plead the 5th....

Texas has some GREAT BBQ, but I love my NC & SC pork as well. Most times I drive up to NC to visit family, I stop off at Maurice's in Columbia, SC for some good mustard-based stuff.

While I'm in NC, I eat the vinegar based bbq with some cole slaw & hush puppies once or twice. However, back in Texas, there's no denying that tender, juicy brisket.

I'm especially fond of Zimmerhanzel's, a family-owned joint in my wife's hometown of Smithville, TX.

BBQ around here varies. My nephew's BBQ restaurant has a sweeter taste, which I like. But I like different varieties.

The NC reference seems off. Vinegar based minced or chopped pork shoulder is eastern NC. Western NC tends to be bigger chunks and not minced, in a sauce that is red and watery (maybe vinegar and tomato sauce??). Classic east vs west battle. I like the eastern myself. But can't hardly get bbq in a restaurant any more since it is so easy and cheap to make at home really really well.

Similar dichotomy in slaw in NC. Red slaw in western NC, typically mayo based white slaw in eastern NC, although mustard based slaw could be found.

The NC reference seems off. Vinegar based minced or chopped pork shoulder is eastern NC. Western NC tends to be bigger chunks and not minced, in a sauce that is red and watery (maybe vinegar and tomato sauce??). Classic east vs west battle. I like the eastern myself. But can't hardly get bbq in a restaurant any more since it is so easy and cheap to make at home really really well.

Similar dichotomy in slaw in NC. Red slaw in western NC, typically mayo based white slaw in eastern NC, although mustard based slaw could be found.

True. I'm from the more eastern area of NC. The pork tends to be more finely chopped. "White" coleslaw is more widely used in that part of the state, but some restaurants offer both. My best bud prefers the red, while I'm more traditional with the mayo based stuff. I usually buy a couple lbs of NC bbq to take back to TX/LA with me. It stays in the freezer till I get the urge. Wife is from Texas & doesn't care for Carolina bbq.

My son will be attending Clemson in the fall, so if you have an specific recommendations in that area (including Greenville), it would be much appreciated!

Well, he's going to have to decide if he's a mustard man or a vinegar man. :D

My people are from the Midstate, so I'm firmly in the vinegar camp, but here in the Lowcountry, mustard is more common. I think in the Upstate, you will find more vinegar than mustard.

I've heard good things about the Smoking Pig in Pendleton, which isn't far from Clemson.

Well, he's going to have to decide if he's a mustard man or a vinegar man. :D

My people are from the Midstate, so I'm firmly in the vinegar camp, but here in the Lowcountry, mustard is more common. I think in the Upstate, you will find more vinegar than mustard.

I've heard good things about the Smoking Pig in Pendleton, which isn't far from Clemson.

I found this picture of Sarah at a southern barbecue :) :

images.jpeg

Now to add more fuel to the fire! What about Santa Maria tri-tip from California? It's the end they chop off the briskit, and usually a cheaper cut. My husband has perfected his smoking technique, delicious! What can I say? I'm a west coast girl. We are looking forward to sampling the Kansas City style BBQ when we move to Leavenworth this summer.

Looks like Sarah is eating vinegar and pepper BBQ...just like Marty!

Attachments

• carolinas.jpg
    carolinas.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3
Yes, that Carolinas map looks about right, though I do admit to living in mustard-country. And WHO ARE those tomato based people? I've never met anyone willing to admit to it!
Man, have we had some good stuff in Lexington NC, though.
Redbug, you ever been to Sweatman's? Now that's a drive worth making!

Yes, that Carolinas map looks about right, though I do admit to living in mustard-country. And WHO ARE those tomato based people? I've never met anyone willing to admit to it!
Man, have we had some good stuff in Lexington NC, though.
Redbug, you ever been to Sweatman's? Now that's a drive worth making!

My mom is a tomato sauce added person (western NC). Ugg. No thanks. It reminds me of a weird sauce on stewed meat. Like a runny sweet and sour sauce.

Gimme dat vinegar based sauce any day!

Lexington is right on the line, I guess west of there you start seeing more tomato sauce based bbq. Not sure about Charlotte - can't say I have ever had any bbq in Charlotte.

Thanks for the tip Redbug--I'll check that out next time I'm up there for something.

Ah Fuego, I've had some good stuff in DH's hometown of Concord, just north of Charlotte.
But I'll be honest, I hardly every find fault with someone else's cooking! Except that tomato-based business! You have my sympathies!

Texans believe they have superior BBQ....being born in NC, but living 30+ yrs in Texas & Louisiana, I have to plead the 5th....

Texas has some GREAT BBQ, but I love my NC & SC pork as well. Most times I drive up to NC to visit family, I stop off at Maurice's in Columbia, SC for some good mustard-based stuff.

While I'm in NC, I eat the vinegar based bbq with some cole slaw & hush puppies once or twice. However, back in Texas, there's no denying that tender, juicy brisket.

I'm especially fond of Zimmerhanzel's, a family-owned joint in my wife's hometown of Smithville, TX.
Yeah, that's really it. Texas prides itself on having some of the best BBQ, but it's primarily brisket country. Yeah, they can do sausage and pork and ribs and such, but in terms of being a "BBQ epicenter" it's brisket that Texas does better than everyone else (on average). Much like if you want a great BBQ pulled pork sandwich, you go to the Carolinas. Or if you want the best ribs, head to Memphis.

Back
Top Bottom