Google Maps Offline

surfFL

Dryer sheet wannabe
Maybe I'm / was the only one not aware of this feature... But since any mapping application is using a lot of cellular data, and since I'd just switched to a very cost effective carrier / plan (US Mobile - $5/month) which offers only 500MB of monthly data. I looked into ways not to use cellular data. And it is possible with Google Maps!
https://blog.google/products/maps/google-maps-offline/
I've tried it (and turned off cellular data for Google Maps on the phone) and it's working for me! Even with CarPlay!
You have the same voice guided navigation, 'live' maps, zoom-in / out.
Of course you are missing realtime data features like traffic, speed checks, etc...
Just sharing, in case you are not aware of it.
Cheers,
surfFL

I am not interested in getting a smart phone. I don't keep my phone on me and only use it when I travel or am at home (mostly still use a land line at home). However, I did purchase a smart phone to use as a camera and to see if I might be interested in various apps using just wifi.

I discovered the Google Maps feature myself just a few weeks ago. I was traveling to a area I had never been before so I downloaded the map on the smart phone and it worked well. A good feature.

I used Maps.me and google maps, on my phone and download the maps ahead of time via wifi, when going to travel.

Great to have in foreign countries, even for walking around the towns, as it shows my location so I only need to figure out where I want to go :) and no data required.

Maybe I'm / was the only one not aware of this feature... But since any mapping application is using a lot of cellular data, and since I'd just switched to a very cost effective carrier / plan (US Mobile - $5/month) which offers only 500MB of monthly data. I looked into ways not to use cellular data. And it is possible with Google Maps!
https://blog.google/products/maps/google-maps-offline/
I've tried it (and turned off cellular data for Google Maps on the phone) and it's working for me! Even with CarPlay!
You have the same voice guided navigation, 'live' maps, zoom-in / out.
Of course you are missing realtime data features like traffic, speed checks, etc...
Just sharing, in case you are not aware of it.
Cheers,
surfFL

Thanks for the tip! - didn't know that was possible with Google Maps

Yes, offline maps have been available for quite some time. I used it the first time about 8 years ago when traveling to Canada with a wimpy international data plan. Google Maps navigated me from the airport to the hotel over an hour away with my phone's data turned off.

It's also useful if you know you'll be driving somewhere with spotty or non-existent cellular service.

... It's also useful if you know you'll be driving somewhere with spotty or non-existent cellular service.
We use Copilot GPS. (https://copilotgps.com/en-gb/) In their system one downloads whole country maps or even whole continent maps, Like North America. There is no need to guess where you might find spotty or nonexistent cell service. In theory, I guess I could have downloaded an older map than what Google might serve me but that has not been a problem. For example, Google and Copilot both serve me the same maps and have been showing the same empty field since a year ago March when we put in the road and began digging for our new lake home foundation. Same-o on the sat view maps, still no house showing If they are not using the same maps, I can't tell the difference. Copilot also has traffic; my guess is that is not as robust as Google's just because of he smaller user base.

I used the offline map feature for the first time last week from upstate NY to DC. You are correct to initially download the map when using wi-fi, that will save a lot of mobile data. What I did just before the trip I selected the offline map, then I turned on my mobile data, this gave me traffic, speed checks, gas prices and so on. Even though I had mobile data on it uses it used very few MBs as long as you are referencing the already downloaded offline map.

I live in a rural, mountanous area and we download the maps to use out of cell range.

I think they 'expire' and need to be re-downloaed every so often, but otherwise, it's a great feature.

I am not interested in getting a smart phone. I don't keep my phone on me and only use it when I travel or am at home (mostly still use a land line at home). However, I did purchase a smart phone to use as a camera

Which is it? :LOL:

I live in a rural, mountanous area and we download the maps to use out of cell range.

I think they 'expire' and need to be re-downloaed every so often, but otherwise, it's a great feature.

It will automatically download a new map in the background before the old expires - IIRC, the default is to do this only when on WiFi.

Very good way to save data, though you do need to DL the areas of interest. You also don't get satellite views, just basic maps.

-ERD50

I have used offline Google satellite maps for hiking and exploring. To see the details I need, I often need to zoom all the way and then download. But I am not sure that works consistently looking at the various areas I have downloaded, i.e. resolution is lost compared to when online.

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that if you load in a trip, with a destination, while still attached to WiFi, Google Maps downloads all the maps needed, and will not do so during the trip. This saves cellular data too.

Back
Top Bottom