Getting Personal Health Insurance

thechoson

Dryer sheet aficionado
I will be starting school again soon, so will go off the company plan.

I am shopping around in California, I was wondering if anyone had some advice or recommendations for health insurance.

i do have chronic conditions (asthma/ allergies), i am sure this will raise my premiums.

Thanks

Cheapest probably would be an HMO plan. Check with Kaiser -- they have different plan prices. My girlfriend has a $269 per month cost. Can you obtain medical insurance through the college just to get you through??

I'm not sure if your school offers any kind of "student" health insurance, but you may also want to consider a high deductible health insurance plan coupled with an HSA.

My school's plan is horrible, which is why I want to opt out.

ginger-not to pry, but that premium seems steep, is that the norm ?

That is what my girlfriend quoted me yesterday for her Kaiser insurance plan. She said they have many different plans. Give them a call or go on line to check it out. You just might need catastrophic coverage if you are young and healthy.
My insurance is paid for in full by my employer and feel fortunate having that benefit.

Kaiser is fine, I had them for a while. Costs were decent, the care was perfectly ok. That having been said, I've heard plenty of "kaiser horror stories".

I was on Kaiser from ~48-63, and was covered by them for abt 20 years when raising a family (moved out of their service area).  They did a great job but I wouldn't recommend them to a needy whiner, not because of the care they provide but because they don't need that type of patient.

My son was accident prone, one of their physicians lived across the street.  After evening visits to urgent care she would take him to work for his follow-ups and call me when he was through. 

My OBGYN's wife helped patient who had quints.  That family invited the physician and his wife to move in with them when they became frail, and returned the favor.

I like the community health approach, found great bio-science professionals, and caring folks.

Was born in Kaiser Permenente, West L.A. and was under Kaiser untill I was 20 years old. I thought the care was wonderful, have only fond memories of my doctor. I've heard the horror stories but I'm glad to hear my experience was not an isolated event.

I've been covered by a lot of health coverage providers. My best
experience was with BC/BS in Michigan. It seemed that everyone
welcomed you with open arms if you had it (auto industry effect?).
Anyway, I tried to sign back on a couple of times since ER.
They wouldn't touch me.

JG

Back
Top Bottom