Gift Giving Help Needed

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I thought I might start a thread for people who need ideas for gifts for friends and family members whose wants and needs may not match our won.

How about a gift for a mid 30's female? All I get when I ask is " I don't really need anything'. ?!?! She is being polite and doesn't want to impose on this old retired guy, but in reality her politeness is driving me crazy. I would just love to her to name something! Anything!

Ideas?

Probably money! Not very creative I know, but they can always find something to spend it on.

My DW and I did this often, so we decided to just make donations to worthy causes on "big holidays". We still get each other small, token gifts, but since we don't really want for anything, giving to others is a good compromise.

For friends, we tend to give gift cards for restaurants that we know they like.

Lol - I feel your pain. My daughter is early 30s and she and hubby need nothing. But they are fairly frugal - don’t treat themselves to going out much. I just bought them tickets to a cirque de Soleil show (which they love).

Anywho - maybe tickets to something she otherwise would not go to? Movie, concert, etc? Do you know her likes well enough?

Money for nieces & nephews & wedding gifts. Consumables for older folks.

Someone who likes to give cash called Clark Howard recently.

She folds a bill into an origami figure that relates to the recipient or occasion.

She mentioned folding two bills into a shirt and pants set. (Perhaps for a baby shower and a boy is expected.) Cute idea.

I've been going the gift card route over the last few years.

Our anniversary is coming up in April and yesterday I ordered a $100 Talbots gift card for her. All women love to shop. It's just part of their DNA.

I

For friends, we tend to give gift cards for restaurants that we know they like.

+1

This is primarily what I do for friends and family these days. And it's in the spirit of gifting experiences, not things, which I think is usually more rewarding and life enriching for most people.

Give her a spa day somewhere near where she lives. Our DD is mid 30 and she would love this!

Like a few others suggested, go for the experience instead of the stuff. Is there something both of you would enjoy together - like a meal out (or anything)?

About 10 years back, DW and I opted for a sightseeing vacation in lieu of anniversary gifts. We've continued this every year since and will likely do so until life intervenes (as it will some day).

I thought I might start a thread for people who need ideas for gifts for friends and family members whose wants and needs may not match our won.

How about a gift for a mid 30's female? All I get when I ask is " I don't really need anything'. ?!?! She is being polite and doesn't want to impose on this old retired guy, but in reality her politeness is driving me crazy. I would just love to her to name something! Anything!

Ideas?

If you asked and she replied nothing, maybe your insisting on giving a gift is driving her crazy. Send a card. Some people are just terrible gift givers and you may be one of them. My uncle is downsizing and decluttering. When he moved and had an open house to show off his new digs, his sister brought a large ugly picture for an accent wall. He's asked me to come help him hang it. I'm sure one of us will have an accident with the picture...it happened before with a really ugly hat that she gave him... I accidently lost it.:angel:
Send a card!

Someone that age could be wrangling a baby or a job or both. Perhaps a trial run to one of those meal prep places that ships the uncooked meal to her home. Give a gift subscription so she has to try it out for a meal or two. At worst she got a couple nice meals out of the deal.

I would ask her if she uses makeup and comment how sweet she looks to you. Then I’d say “hey now I’ve got an idea”. Women in their 30’s may not use resources for quality products on themselves. I bought my DDIL: Get Started Minerals Foundation Kit. $34.00 BareMinerals.com Just an idea, they have gift cards too. If she likes it you’re golden with a decision for a few years.
If she’s near you, meet for a meal. Time spent is a good gift. Sounds like she loves you.

Food, booze, or gift cards (maybe to a nice restaurant).

I like the idea of a gift card for experiences - anything from movie tickets if she likes going to the movies to restaurant gift card or spa gift card. Or if she likes getting her nails done and you know what salon she uses, a gift card for that would be very nice.

Mid 30's female is going to be gift card: Sephora if she wears makeup at all, Pottery Barn if she doesn't.

Depends who she is to you and budget you are thinking about....also if she is single vs married, vs with kids.

Gift cards to grocery stores (she has to eat), Target (misc. household items), Amazon (electronics and stuff), etc. should get used. Groupon for car wash, car detailing, or car maintenance.

Entertainment for 2 (new restaurant in the area, movies, plays, sporting events, etc.) - suggest she take a parent, sibling, or spouse.

Gift cards, money ring, money. All sound nice. Spa or wine tasting is also a winner.

We sent check to niece, just starting in her first year as a teacher. This was to help fund classroom costs. Thinking of one more check for end-of-year kick-a$$ party. LOL.

We sent check to niece, just starting in her first year as a teacher. This was to help fund classroom costs. Thinking of one more check for end-of-year kick-a$$ party. LOL.

When I was in public elementary school, my 8th grade teacher bought the whole class (30 students) a McDonald's hamburger and St Patricks day shake out of her own pocket. She said, March is the longest month of the school with no days off and the winters were generally bad in the Midwest. Since this was inner city, most kids didn't get to McDonald's often so it was really a great treat.

She past away awhile ago, otherwise I would love to contribute to that gift.

If you asked and she replied nothing, maybe your insisting on giving a gift is driving her crazy. Send a card. Some people are just terrible gift givers and you may be one of them. My uncle is downsizing and decluttering. When he moved and had an open house to show off his new digs, his sister brought a large ugly picture for an accent wall. He's asked me to come help him hang it. I'm sure one of us will have an accident with the picture...it happened before with a really ugly hat that she gave him... I accidently lost it.:angel:
Send a card!

I agree with the above with a slight modification. Instead of a card send her a hand-written letter explaining why she has been so nice and that you wanted to buy her something for her kindness/friendship.....whatever the case might be but since you didn't know what she would like you were sending this letter instead. Then simply say that you wished to express your gratitude. I think that is better than a gift from someone who does not know what to buy.

Last edited:

Ideas?
Kind of depends on your relationship with this "mid 30s female".

Ha

Duh...I thought this was a 30 yr old Grand Daughter. Don’t follow my approach.

Back
Top Bottom