Going to NY - Suggestions welcome

wildcat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I will be in NY state - about an hour 1/2 - NW of the city for a couple of months. So I would like some recommendations for weekend trips - could include must see cities, small towns, outdoor getaways. My uncle has a place near Lake George so I got that one covered. I kind of excited about it. I have never been to that side of NY and I haven't really had much of a chance to see New England. Thanks all.

Hi,

Some thoughts:

Boston
Mystic, CT (you can hit Mohegan Sun if you like to gamble)
Newport, RI
The Berkshires, MA
The Finger Lakes Region (hiking, wine tasting)

How far is too far for a weekend trip? You could head up to the mountains of Vermont or the lakes of NH, the coast of Maine...etc

Karen

A boat trip up the Hudson River.

The Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY

Howe Caverns in Howes Cave, NY

The Bronx Zoo

The Museum of Natural History

A tour bus ride around Manhattan

I will second the Finger Lakes. We also like Cooperstown and the nearby 'burg of Oneonta.

If you're into history, try:

Hyde Park - FDR home and library

Art:
Storm King Art Center - interesting outdoor sculptures right along the NY State Thruway

Hiking:
The Catskills

Rock Climbing:
The Gunks

Fishing:
The Catskills - Roscoe - Birthplace of American Fly Fishing

Unique Place to Stay for a weekend:
New Paltz - Mohonk Mountain House.

I live in this area and it is great this time of year.

Ithaca, Cooperstown and the Finger Lakes are also nice.

And of course, there's Manhattan

How long of a drive would Vermont/Maine be? Worth the trip if I use some PTO and end up with a 4 day weekend?

Could you describe the Berkshires? Heard of 'em.

Almost forgot about Cooperstown. I think my parents took me there when I was a kid but I don't remember much of anything.

I was thinking about the Jersey Shore for some women :) :angel:

If you want women just hit a Manhattan club Friday or Saturday night.

A hike in the Adirondacks. I believe Hadley is close enough to where you'll be.

A hike on the east shore of Lake George. It's gorgeous.

A concert at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. A horse race if you're there in August.

A drive through Vermont.

A boat trip around Manhattan. (I think it's called the Circle Line.) A baseball game.

You can be in Vermont in about an hour from Glens Falls. From Saratoga/Schuylerville, the route (on 29/315/30/7) into Vermont is gorgeous. Once on Rt 7 north, you can go as far as you'd like.

Hey, I'm a New Yorker now - for a short period of time at least.

I spent a couple of days visiting a friend in DC. First time there. I spent most of the time around the Alexandria are - Old Town and I went to the Spy Museum. I only had a day or so but I really liked the area. The Beltway was VERY busy and people seemed to enjoy riding my ass even though I was going 80 mph.

I took I-95 (missed an interestate that would have taken me up to Harrisburg and around to NY) all the way up to 287. Lucky me, I hit most of it during the morning commute. I think I lost a few years off my life but I got to see Baltimore, Wilmington, Philly and Jersey. Friggin' tolls sort of got annoying when I had to dodge across a few lanes to get to a cash toll. Had a few people give me bad looks, all part of the experience. I think the New Jersey state motto should be - Pay the toll and f#ck off! :D

Going to Lake George for Mem Day weekend.

Sounds like a nice choice, although I've no idea how crowded it will be.

NJ highways in rush hour: welcome to my life. :p

Yeah, that's gotta be brutal all the way up to Connecticut.

To hit the essential - yet oh so touristy- stuff in NYC, I recommend the Grey Line tours - double decker buses that stop throughout the city. About $50, but you can get off, walk around, see what you want, then pick up the next one that comes by - and pick up the tour again. My parents came out from CA, we did this - and had a ball. (Still have yet to really finish this - waiting for more out of towner guests)

Also, for the history buff beer drinkers, don't miss McSorley's - rich in history, but heaven forbid, don't order anything other than light or dark unless you are a minor!

A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is fun too :)

http://www.hudsonriver.com/history.htm

Great historical sites along the Hudson. A bit of a drive east, but well worth it.

In NYC, can’t beat MOMA, Guggenheim, and The Metropolitan Museum. Also, the New York Public Library.

In the evening you can get a quick intro to jazz, I found this website-

http://www.bigapplejazz.com/

Plus, lots of what’s happening is in the New Yorker, and the rest can be found in the Village Voice- for free no less.

Ha

Thanks Ha and Fire.

Anyone recommend going to NYC via the amtrak - NE route. Looks like I can get on at some stop and take it to Penn Station. I am out a little ways in the burbs. Or is there a better alternative?

I would take the train for sure if you have the option. MetroNorth would be cheaper than Amtrak, assuming its an option.

Back
Top Bottom