FL Panhandle to Black Hills

FlaGator

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have a long-time friend on the WY side of the Black Hills and considering a trip to see him. Run around on his ranch and play cowboy for a few days. :) Last time I did that with him was 40 years ago :facepalm: Way overdue.

Could fly to Rapid City for a reasonable price but thinking about taking the motorcycle. It's ~ 1800 miles one-way depending on the route. Three to five days each way depending on my stamina and any sight-seeing along the way. Done with camping, would hotel it each way.

Have the time to do this on the bike, and looking for route and sight-seeing ideas if I do this as a MC trip. Google maps has the direct routes through either Memphis or St. Louis. Haven't seen the Gateway Arch, and probably would stop at Graceland or Beal Street while in Memphis. Thinking I would go up one way and back a different one.

The trip would be sometime July-early September. Will avoid the Sturgis rally in early August, just not my thing.

Any recommendations of things to see on the way, or alternate routes?

Sounds fun.

To me the big highlight would be near your destination:
Custer State Park
Black Hills
Bison
Hiking
Town of Custer
Mammoth Site
Crazy Horse
Mount Rushmore
Caves

And nearby
Badlands National Park
Wall Drug (if you are at Badlands)

Some very nice summer weather.

Now, otherwise if you do go to Memphis:

Sun Records
The Pyramid (former basketball arena now housing hotels, restaurants, a huge Bass Pro Shop complete with fishing and alligators. Definitely a unique spot adjacent to Beale St.

Nashville
If you like country music:
Tour the Ryman Auditorium (the old one)
Lots of great music museums
The Hermitage if you like history
Music Row
Broadway (Downtown)
And all the music venues which could be anyplace you stop to eat.

You could spend a long time here if you had the time or wanted to take a break.

I am guessing your seat is more comfortable than our WR250R dual sports lol.

We were riding up some forestry roads the other day and I had the idea of just taking off for a cross country ride...but after 60 miles on that seat I am done for the day.

Omaha--Henry Doorly Zoo.

Two highlights from my trip in 2020:
WW 1 museum in KC.
Minuteman Missile Launch site, Philip, SD

Skip Wall Drug and the corn palace.

We did a trip to that general area last year,although ours was pulling a 34 ft 5th wheel. The biggest thing to me on my bike would be the boredom going E to W & then W to E because there isn't much to entertain on the plains. That being said the area around there Black Hills i great for motorcycling. We went up from N. Ga. thru Nashville, St. Louis, on up to Ne. then across to Wy. & up to the Yellowstone, Tetons, then over to Spearfish for our base to see the Blackhills, Custer State park, devils Tower, Rushmore ect. From there we went back across SD to drop down thru the Ozarks in Mo. & Arkansas,on down to Memphis, then we went across the top od Ms. & Al. thru Huntsville to Ga. Mine wasn't the most straight thru route and we were gone a month but we saw most all the sights mentioned above and had a ball.I would love to be able to do it again on my Venture but I do good now to do a 3oo miler around the mts. of my area here near the Blue Ridge Mts. or the Smokies. Good luck on your trip, and have a ball!

Hwy 160 through MO has great scenery. A nice side trip would be to visit Eureka, AR. As a [-]resident[/-] prisoner of Kansas, I highly recommend you avoid this state at all costs.

Having just done parts of this route, here are a few recommendations:
Head north out of Memphis through southern Illinois and make a stop at Giant City state park. Have a chicken dinner at the lodge.
Avoid Missouri and Kansas ( I lived in both, trust me) and instead head up along the Mississippi into Wisconsin. The upper Mississippi is gorgeous. Cut across southern Minnesota also as boring as Missouri and Kansas, but you gotta head west at some point. Eastern South Dakota is attractive in its own way, but the Black Hills are where it gets really interesting.

Last edited:
Wow, that’s a ways! But the Black Hills are awesome. We really enjoyed staying in a cabin in Custer State Park and visiting several Black Hills locations from there. Very scenic state park with lots of wildlife and we enjoyed great dining at the lodge restaurant.

Thanks for all the ideas!

I like the suggestion to follow the Mississippi. It's an important part of US history and I like seeing how the river has shaped the land and how people have adapted to it. I've crossed the southern part several times, would be good to see at least some of upper. Following the Missouri would be interesting for the same reason. Have seen only the MT/ND part of that river.

The MC vs. fly decision is the most important one. It's been 30 years since I rode 600+ miles in a day and doing 6 of those in a few weeks would be more than I did back then. The bike is comfortable enough, less confident in my fitness. Think I should do a few 400-500 mile days to test myself before committing to the bike.

Will update as plans firm up.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom