Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I thought that buying a Class A during the middle of a recession entitled you to a year's free "mobile mobile bug-washing valet" service...
Must admit they treated me VERY well - I probably was their only customer that month. No bug valet, but steep, steep discount, great service. I guess it's like buying a house in the current market - if you're ready, the timing's just about perfect. I flew to Ohio to do the deal.

The Love Bugs / June Bugs seemed fairly tame this year for some reason. Some years a 20 mile trip will leave your windshield opaqe with bug innards. This year not so much.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
The Love Bugs / June Bugs seemed fairly tame this year for some reason. Some years a 20 mile trip will leave your windshield opaqe with bug innards. This year not so much.
When we lived in FL Love Bugs were so bad people were coating the front of their cars with Vaseline. I suppose now that property taxes have gone up the problem isn't so bad - or maybe it's the recession.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hardened Floridian that I am, I used the old cracker trick right after arrival: a towel soaked in hot water. Even love bugs come right off.
I have used that trick myself, on my minivan. There is a product out called Rejex. It is put on airplanes to make the bugs easier to wipe off and also helps with aerodynamics. It works wonders........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

When I came back from Texas this spring I had a bunch of bugs on the front of the MH. It was still below freezing when I got home so I didn't get the MH cleaned. It still is sitting there dirty. What do you folks use to remove long stuck bugs?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
What do you folks use to remove long stuck bugs?
Soapy water (place a wet towel on the area and let it soak for a while) and lots of elbow grease.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When I came back from Texas this spring I had a bunch of bugs on the front of the MH. It was still below freezing when I got home so I didn't get the MH cleaned. It still is sitting there dirty. What do you folks use to remove long stuck bugs?
I'd still go with hot towels, then soapy water. Works better for me that any of othe various bug-remover products I've tried.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lots of elbow grease. Then to prevent it from happening again, ReJex........

Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I am getting the ladder out an going for it!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, I am getting the ladder out an going for it!
Good luck..........

Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The hot towel thing set off an idea. Anyone tried one of those hand held steamers for clothing? It might reduce the elbow grease requirement some.

I don't seem to get too many bug splatters up here in SW PA. Besides, I use prodigious amounts of RainX on my windshields.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #71

Rich, your photo shows only the curb side and I forgot to ask: Did your bus sustain much damage?

Car accidents

Old 07-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rich, your photo shows only the curb side and I forgot to ask: Did your bus sustain much damage?
Forgot to look.

But the air pressures, respectively, were 89, 90, 90, 91, 88, and 92 throughout the entire incident.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used a cheap pressure washer (1400 psi) with good results.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #74

Quote:
Forgot to look.

But the air pressures, respectively, were 89, 90, 90, 91, 88, and 92 throughout the entire incident.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

One basic rule with artificial worms, light worms on light days, dark worms on overcast days. If the bass are on top, topwater fishing with Rapalas or something similar is outstanding. Very exciting when a bass inhales a Rapala on the surface. Toss the Rapala over to near the resting bass, let the ripples clear, then a light twitch or two and see what the fish does. If they turn with interest then another twitch or a slow retrieve. What is really fun is to pitch the Rapala into a group of bass and let it sit for a moment. Then the twitch, the bass are very competitive, if one charges they will all charge. I have caught them two at a time on occasion. I live in a trout/salmon oriented area in the pacific northwest but bass fishing is deep down my true love.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyds View Post
One basic rule with artificial worms, light worms on light days, dark worms on overcast days. If the bass are on top, topwater fishing with Rapalas or something similar is outstanding. Very exciting when a bass inhales a Rapala on the surface. Toss the Rapala over to near the resting bass, let the ripples clear, then a light twitch or two and see what the fish does. If they turn with interest then another twitch or a slow retrieve. What is really fun is to pitch the Rapala into a group of bass and let it sit for a moment. Then the twitch, the bass are very competitive, if one charges they will all charge. I have caught them two at a time on occasion. I live in a trout/salmon oriented area in the pacific northwest but bass fishing is deep down my true love.
A pig and jig with a "flippin" stick is also great fun........ I use a 7 foot ultralight spinning reel with 8 pound spider wire for open water bass fishing, and cast small rapalas that rattle, drives them nuts........

Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyds View Post
. I have caught them two at a time on occasion.
Once while I was using a Rapala, I caught a bluegill...while I was reeling it in, a bass grabbed the bluegill. I managed to get both of them in the boat through my laughter!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Once while I was using a Rapala, I caught a bluegill...while I was reeling it in, a bass grabbed the bluegill. I managed to get both of them in the boat through my laughter!
That's a neat trick. I had that happen with a 2 pound bass and a 12 pound northern pike, and I got them both in........

Another good one was when I was using a jig and minnow combo with a stinger hook, and caught 2 walleye on the same jig, one hitting the main hook and one the stinger hook and each were about 2 pounds........

Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, well once while I was trolling (no, not on this forum) in my boat, three bass swam up and hooked themselves on my stringer...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"WOW!!! the tires on the sunny side of the bus are always 7 degrees hotter and 2 PSI higher than the shady side." Or, "can you believe I filled that left rear inner dual 1 lb less than the others? Gotta be more careful."
I'll bet this is a lot like your commentary in the operating room.