Gone fishing

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Seeking basic tips on bass fishing. Got a 4 day getaway over the July 4 weekend to what is supposed to be a great bass lake near here (Lake Rousseau). I would like to do some bass fishing there but have no gear, no knowledge, and little experience (I've fished lakes in Wisconsin rather randomly over the years, waiting for that perfect muskie, but that's another story).

So what basic gear should I take? Any specific bait suggestions? Easy bass recipes (see, I'm assuming I'll land one already)? Should I just capitulate and get a guide?

Get a guide...

I'm no bass fisherman, but around these parts, a Texas rig is popular for bass. Basically, it's an artificial nightcrawler with the hook buried in the work, to prevent snagging. Different colors and sparkles are available, but the locals probably know the particulars, therefore the suggestion to get a guide. He/she will know where and what they're biting...

Call a bait shop on Lake Rousseau and ask them what kind of baits are working. Are you planning on buying tackle or renting it? I have been bass fishing for 30+ years so if I knew a little more I could probably help.......:)

Get a guide...

I'm no bass fisherman, but around these parts, a Texas rig is popular for bass. Basically, it's an artificial nightcrawler with the hook buried in the work, to prevent snagging. Different colors and sparkles are available, but the locals probably know the particulars, therefore the suggestion to get a guide. He/she will know where and what they're biting...

Good idea, a guide is paid to find fish. If he/she can't do that on a regular basis, word gets out and they have no business.......;)

For a once in a lifetime trip, a guide is probably a good idea.

I agree with HFWR.

Since the water will be warm, bass tends to run deeper. The bait he mentioned skims and skirts along the bottom. However, I have caught some nice bass close to the shore around tree stumps with Rapala floating lures.

I've never been fancy with cooking bass. Just filleted them, coated with a cornmeal and Cajun mixture and pan fried in oil.

One more thing....a four/six pound test line is excellent for bass.

It's too late here in Texas, but early in the season, when the bass are spawning, dropping a lure on or near the nest will pi$$ off Mama Bass, and "lure" her into swallowing the bait.

But, as Gallagher says, "how'd you like to be making love, and have someone dangle a pizza over the bed?"

Yet another thing to add... I clip the barb off the hook so that the fish's mouth won't get torn up. This is especially important if the fish is too small and you have to return it to the water.

When you fish with the plastic worm on the bottom, slowly reel, stop from time to time and give it a little jerk...slowly reel...repeat. With a floating lure, let it float a few seconds, twitch the rod slightly, reel slowly...repeat.

It's too late here in Texas, but early in the season, when the bass are spawning, dropping a lure on or near the nest will pi$$ off Mama Bass, and "lure" her into swallowing the bait.

I have caught more nice bass on Rapala crankbaits than spinner baits, plastic worms, and real nighcrawlers combined. Bass LOVE to chase erratic MOVING lures.......;) When I fish them in rocky area, I remove the front treble hooks so the bait and bounce over the rocks and not get hung up.......:)

Yet another thing to add... I clip the barb off the hook so that the fish's mouth won't get torn up. This is especially important if the fish is too small and you have to return it to the water.

When you fish with the plastic worm on the bottom, slowly reel, stop from time to time and give it a little jerk...slowly reel...repeat. With a floating lure, let it float a few seconds, twitch the rod slightly, reel slowly...repeat.

Also, with the plastic worm, you want to lift the rod tip slightly and let the worm settle back to the bottom. It's a killer technique.......;)

Also, with the plastic worm, you want to lift the rod tip slightly and let the worm settle back to the bottom. It's a killer technique.......;)
Boy, have I got a fishing story for you. But, that can wait 'til another day.

I'm taking notes as fast as I can.

Makes sense to at least buy a rod before I leave. What would be a decent versatile setup, moderate price range til I find my comfort zone?

Cane pole and a worm. That's all you need.

P2_g_col_Sutton_canemutiny3.jpg

It's been so long since I've bought fishing equipment, I don't know how much things cost now.

The most important thing is the quality of the reel. It seems to me, I have paid double to triple the amount of my reel compared to my rod.

Cane pole and a worm. That's all you need.

P2_g_col_Sutton_canemutiny3.jpg

That was fishing to me from toddler-hood to midteens. I think it is the best too. A lot of the way people fish today is just an extension of work, except that it is cash flow negative. Only thing better than a cane pole is a trot-line or jugs.

Ha

I'm taking notes as fast as I can.

Makes sense to at least buy a rod before I leave. What would be a decent versatile setup, moderate price range til I find my comfort zone?

Is there a Cabelas or Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops near you? The lighter the tackle, the more fish you will catch. However, if you are going to do a lot of crankbaiting, you'll want a medium light or medium action rod. I would not buy anything less than 6 feet long unless you're trying to catch muskie or large northern.

I agree on the reel. Shimano is a large manufacturer and they make good stuff. Mitchell has been around forever. The folks at Cabelas and Gander Mountain are usually fishermen themselves and can help. You can always PM me if you want to discuss more indepth.

That was fishing to me from toddler-hood to midteens. I think it is the best too. A lot of the way people fish today is just an extension of work, except that it is cash flow negative. Only thing better than a cane pole is a trot-line or jugs.

Ha

When I lived on the Mississippi River, we used to take 9 foot cane poles and large shiners, and fish for walleyes on the wing dams at night. Caught plenty of 8-10 pound walleyes on that........:D

For a young kid, a small cane pole and a worm means loads of fun.......:)

A lot of the way people fish today is just an extension of work, except that it is cash flow negative.
Ha

Two of my fishing rods are over 20 years old. Quality lasts a long time, they are both St. Croix rods, and I paid over $100 for each back then.......:)

When I lived on the Mississippi River, we used to take 9 foot cane poles and large shiners, and fish for walleyes on the wing dams at night. Caught plenty of 8-10 pound walleyes on that........:D

For a young kid, a small cane pole and a worm means loads of fun.......:)

Can't you see Rich headed to the lake with a cane pole pulled right out of his new RV? :LOL:

Live bait. Set the hook firmly but don't tear his head off. Go with a guide so that you know where to cast. But most of all, have a great time! :D

I've got this unusual technique that has worked in the lagoon that I fish.

I paddle the canoe right into the lily pads where it's only a few feet deep. I sit there quietly and watch until I see some bass swimming by. I put on a small lure such as a crappie jigging lure, and I put it down in the water and watch it.

The bass will usually swim by, and stop and take a look. They appear and disappear like ghosts. I give the lure little jiggles, but not too much. This goes on for a while, and eventually one will suck it in, and I hook him.

It's exciting watching them and trying to get them interested.

I've never seen anyone else do it like this.

Here is the best tip . Do not fall in the water . We all know what lurks in lakes in Florida .

Welcome to Lake Rousseau !

True story:

When in lived Port Charlotte, there was a canal right next to the house i was staying at. I went fishing one day and was casting a spinner bait when I hooked a 7 foot alligator!! It didn't even know it was hooked, it just swam away. My 6 pound test didn't last long on that "fish".......:LOL::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom