Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I bought my FIL a Surfboard, but that was before I knew his rented modem had a phone jack on it. Turns-out that if he runs his Internet through this Surfboard modem I bought him, the modem rental fee goes to zero. Yeah, he still has the same hardware in his house, and that lets him have the bundled telephone, but as long as he's not running Internet through their modem, it's "free".

So along with one of those inexpensive modems, you buy a coax splitter and a couple of chunks of coax. Then you're out of the modem rental business. Luckily he has his own wifi router (he got that from my BIL), because they try to give you a real fancy modem with everything, but he dodged that bullet. And like you say, with the modem that has built-in wifi, they share your internet with the world, whether you like it or not.
That's right. At the same time I'd ordered my new modem, a friend who also has TWC thought it was a good way to save that rental cost. But she also has phone (I use Ooma and like it a lot) and is nervous about changing that. So I got her a splitter (she, too, has an existing dedicated router) and hooked her system up. TWC left her gateway box in place but took the rental off the monthly bill.

If she decides at some point she wants to go all in, the minor cost of the splitter won't be wasted because I have an idea about how I can take advantage of it at my home. That'd be better in the "Dropped Cable TV" thread, I've dragged this one far enough off topic already!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Raleigh can look like a war zone these days. Both AT&T and Google are out there laying fiber and it is getting messy on a lot of streets.

People: competition is a Good Thing. This is great to watch. They are literally at war with each other trying to beat their way to customers first.

A monopoly would roll this out over, who knows how long?

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote