Google Search Problem?

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any problems using Google Search? Sometimes it works fine; sometimes it just sits there doing nothing. During these problem times, Yahoo search works fine so I don't think it is the computer or the connection.

Use it all the time. No problems, recently.

Are you using an ad blocker?
That can make page loading hang up occasionally.

I've had the same problem recently, kaneohe. I'm using the Chrome browser under Windows 10, with an ad blocker called, funnily enough, AdBlock.

This was my favorite "Google search problem" of all time....

Attachments

• google_oops.jpg
    google_oops.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 22
I had problems all weekend - I have Internet Explorer browser. I found a google troubleshooting website where others were having the same problem. If I tried to search on more than a couple of words, I got a blank screen. Magically the problem went away late last night. I'm at w##k today and not having any issues but have not tried my home computer again.

Any problems using Google Search? Sometimes it works fine; sometimes it just sits there doing nothing. During these problem times, Yahoo search works fine so I don't think it is the computer or the connection.

Nope, sorry!

For the past few days, I've only been able to use Google for a search after a reboot of the computer, then only for one or two searches, then it just sets there doing nothing, not even the little circle on my screen that means it's thinking.

I had the same problem for several days at home and at work. Looks like Google finally got it fixed. At least my laptop at home seems to be working.

I've been having problems with it for weeks. When I clicked my home button (www.google.com) it would sit and spin for a large number of seconds, although it eventually loaded. But it was just loading the home page, not the actual search. I "fixed" the problem by using a different Google website link - https://www.google.com/webhp?ei=UDsyVvimOYnamAGQj6jQDw&emsg=NCSR&noj=1 as my home page. It responds instantly. Not sure what the problem is/was, although it sounded like a DNS issue, but I am not interested enough to debug it further. As long as it works, I'm happy.

Yes but, I always blame Comcast so I didn't realize it was Google.

There is a real problem with g search last week or so. There are a few threads on their product support Forum about this. More than one way to skin this cat.

I skinned the cat by doing nothing and both my work and home computer are back to normal.

I've come to hate traditional search engines like Yahoo and Google. They lead me to what their advertisers want me to see, not the information I want to find.

Below are notes from a computer class I taught last June. Here's the section on getting better results on online searches using Dogpile Web Search

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How to get better internet search results
June 2015

Use the search engine at
Dogpile Web Search

Use Boolean tools:
Plus sign The word following a plus sign tells DogPile the word MUST be on the websites in the results list
Minus sign. The word following a minus sign tells DogPile the word
MUST NOT be on the websites in the results list
+”” Plus sign with quotation marks tells DogPile the phrase between
the quotation marks MUST be on the websites in the results list
-”” Minus sign with quotation marks tells DogPile the phrase between
the quotation marks MUST NOT be on the websites in the results
list

Do not use these tools on Google, Yahoo, MSN, or other search engines. All used to support these tools but stopped a few years ago.

Examples
>I’m looking to buy a pair of running shoes in size 9.5 wide. Nike providers treat their overseas workers badly so I want to avoid Nike.
+shoes +running +athlete -Nike +wide +9.5 -sandal -pump -boot -ebay -craigslist -amazon

>I want to find free games I can play online without having to download anything (free downloads often contain viruses)
+free +game +solitaire -download or
+free +game +sudoku -download or
+free +”word search” +puzzle -download or
+free +”jigsaw puzzle” -download
Online puzzles and games are a great way to get comfortable on the computer and internet.
By the way, I like Web Sudoku - Billions of Free Sudoku Puzzles to Play Online too much!

>I want to find online banks which pay 1% or more on their savings accounts (a very difficult thing to find - it took me hours to find 6 and the best results were tips from posters on message boards / forums). I know credit unions won’t pay that much so I skip +”credit union” in my search.
+savings +1% +June +2015 -2014 -2013 -2012 -2011 -2010 +forum +”message board”

Back
Top Bottom