Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Google Spreadsheets
Old 08-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for pointing out the spread sheet application. I had to do a google search to find it. It wasn't on the page with all their other application options. Does google have a "Word" like application also?.

The interesing aspect of it is that google is doing what Lary Ellison of Orical said would happen. That is; applications will be server/web based and not pc based.

We will only need small dumb computers pretty soon with all our applications on google.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Whoa, a programmer to a doctor!!!
Well, I wrote an eletronic medical record program in the 80s. Had a few hundred users, written in Pascal, then 4D, and then ported but never licensed in PHP and mysql as a web app. It started as a Mac-only app, but the php port was in preparation for cross-platform marketing.

When it started to grow (and after the kids' tuitions were done) I had a choice to make. HIPAA and large groups started taking hold and I needed to either make it my full time pursuit, or unload it and get back to practicing medicine. Dozens of new players in the market, some very well funded; never got a good offer on the code and eventually (just about 5 years ago) gave it up. By then, that vertical market was in chaos and I was glad to be rid of it.

I have another idea for a web-based program which, if successful, would make the perfect post-FIRE pursuit. Without spilling the beans, it's a medical decision helper site for the patient/layman. Not unlike FIRECalc, actually, it takes guided input which includes your preferences and values, and cranks out some hopefully useful advice. Still got to refine the concept, and do my due diligence re: liability issues, etc. but it will be fun if it happens.

Unlike the forlorn and broken-spiritied ex-programmers who wander around in this forum , I actually enjoy programming -- never had to earn a living with it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
So, amazing from a technology viewpoint rather than a functionality viewpoint? Correct?
Both, to me. But then again if you don't have a need for it, doesn't matter how well implemented it is.

There are a lot of people who use spreadsheets as mini-databases, too. Keep everything from their to-do list to text documents to their checkbook on it. I think this is going to be big. And it's one of the few programs you can actually use from a phone or PDA screen if you lay it out right.

I read that they are working on a word processor, and imagine a calendar program can't be far behind (Yahoo has had one for years). All that for free, available from anywhere, private, shareable, well executed -- yup, I think it's amazing.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Make sure the idea is significantly better for the patient than just iteratively googling...
Old 08-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Make sure the idea is significantly better for the patient than just iteratively googling...
Iterative googling, huh? You can get a hernia if you do too much of that. And hair will grow on the palms of your hands.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Well, to an ex-programmer like me it is amazing that they can make a web-based app run so much like an executable app.
It is AJAX (Asynchronous Java Script and XML), the hot, new flavor-of-the-month-(decade?) way to build Web applications loosely denoted by the term Web2.0. As I understand it (which is not much) a fair amount of the application side is running on the client with java script, but the heavy lifting is going on on the server.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I read that they are working on a word processor, and imagine a calendar program can't be far behind (Yahoo has had one for years). All that for free, available from anywhere, private, shareable, well executed -- yup, I think it's amazing.
All you want is a calendar?

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.google.com/calendar/
Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #28

Quote:
and imagine a calendar program can't be far behind (Yahoo has had one for years). All that for free, available from anywhere, private, shareable, well executed -- yup, I think it's amazing.
They have had a calendar program for awhile. I have been using it for a few months.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Unlike the forlorn and broken-spiritied ex-programmers who wander around in this forum , I actually enjoy programming -- never had to earn a living with it.
I think almost every ex-programmer on this forum (inlcuding me) would tell you that they enjoyed the programming/developing part of their job - it was the B.S. that made it miserable.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I think almost every ex-programmer on this forum (inlcuding me) would tell you that they enjoyed the programming/developing part of their job - it was the B.S. that made it miserable.
I know , CT. IT has become a real bureaucratic mess in a lot of organizations. Most fun is to work on your own stuff in entrepreneur mode, but at the first hint of succcess you are dealing with investors, liability, insurance, customer support, incorporation and all the rest. Just takes the wind out of your sails.

Doing it without needing to doing it is a little like working in FIRE on some passion you really enjoy, and not caring if you don't make any money at it. I had programmer friends at the U. of Wi who went from successful startups back in to academics for those very reasons (of course then they discover the politics in academics).

But from a purely intellectual perspective, I find it very enjoyable.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #31

Quote:
But from a purely intellectual perspective, I find it very enjoyable.

Me too! 8)