Anyone use Google Password Manager?

Healthy Lifestyle

Recycles dryer sheets
Google Password Manager has been updated with a fresh new look.
Try out new ways to securely save and fill your passwords everywhere you use Chrome.

I am looking for a better and safer way to keep track of my many passwords.
I would like to hear comments from the group who used Google Password Manager or other PM recommendation?

I switched from LastPass to 1Password, and I'm mostly happy. LastPass is more full-featured, but their push to switch people to paid plans was too heavy-handed for me, and when I was paying, service was poor to nonexistent. Both are considered secure enough for the programmers and engineers I work with, who understand the details better than I do.

I use google password manager. I like it. It syncs with my phone.
I'm trying to convince DH to use it since he always forgets his passwords. :facepalm:

I use google password manager. I like it. It syncs with my phone.
I'm trying to convince DH to use it since he always forgets his passwords. :facepalm:

+1 I've used it for years. Not sure how secure it is but I use it anyway.

I use Bitwarden.
+1. Paid version which offers multi-factor authentication using Ubikey. I don't trust cell phone for multi-factor authentication (for password manager) because cell phone number can be hijacked. Same argument for app-based MFA because apps can be hacked and/or manipulated with Man-in-the-middle attack. I like hard token-based MFA like Ubikey (and there are others).

PS: And no, I will never use password manager from Google. They already have too much data about me and my life.

I was a Google Password user but have since switched to 1Password.

Is Google Password convenient? Absolutely. If you use Chrome on your PC, your phone, and your tablet, all your passwords are stored and they work on all your devices.

Is Google Password secure? Yeah, mostly.

Convenience: If you set Google Passwords up so that it automatically signs you in whenever you are signed into your Google account (which is almost all the time, right?) your password manager is ready and works seamlessly.

Secure: Whenever you are signed into your Google account (which is almost all the time, right?) anyone can log into any website with a stored password in Google Passwords. They just go to the website log in page and Google Passwords fills in the credentials. Your computer doesn't know who is at the keyboard.

Also, anyone can click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner of screen, click on Password Manager and if they know or can guess your PIN can see all of you passwords. They could even export all your passwords through the Settings options. If they know or can guess your PIN.

Good password managers have a timer on the password manager being active, ie. if there is no activity at the keyboard or mouse for 10 minutes (or 30 minutes, or an hour, etc.) the password manager turns off. This means that if someone tries to login to a website after the timer has shut off the password manager they won't be able to login to web sites.

Ultimately you will have to decide how critical your PC security is to you. If it's just you at home using it, Google Passwords is probably OK. You and a spouse or significant other, probably OK. But if there are people around you that you don't want to have access to your sensitive websites, I'd get a real password manager.

+1 I've used it for years. Not sure how secure it is but I use it anyway.
Same. I also let them pick new passwords for me.

for some things I do still keep an offline list, just in case Google fails me. There are some apps still that it doesn't seem to talk to.

Google, IME, is an enemy of free speech and they give you nothing for free. You are the customer and they use your private data for profit. A web search for "password managers unsafe" will yield a lot of pro's and con's. Would never trust a password manager other than myself.

Security expert has us using 1Password. Read about the security model.

1Password is secure by design. Learn how 1Password encrypts your data, protects your privacy, and safeguards your information. https://support.1password.com/1password-security/

I've used Google password manager a little. It's not an overall approach for us.

Back
Top Bottom