Google Streetviews raises privacy issues

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/01/technology/01private.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

If someone hasnt seen this, google has started implementing street level views of major metropolitan areas, with the intent to spread this feature widely. In addition to aerial and birds eye view maps, these street views look as though you're standing in the street. You can 'walk' around as though you're actually in the area. The detail in the part of San Francisco I looked at was pretty darn good.

Now we have whole web pages dedicated to people finding interesting pieces of info captured by this process. In the article above, a woman is protesting that her cat can be clearly seen in the window in one. She's so concerned about her privacy that she aired this on the internet and submitted to be interviewed, such that everyone knows about what perhaps one or two people would have been aware ::)

So far we've got lots of bikini clad women and what appears to be a guy climbing a fence to get into an apartment building.

I wonder when Google will start sticking tidbits into the maps like they've done earlier, waiting to see how long it takes for someone to discover them.

The cruise missile was a hoot.
Cruise missile streaks across Google Earth | The Register

Back
Top Bottom