Government Pension Offset

Ginger

Recycles dryer sheets
My husband receives a government pension and no Social Security. I have worked over 32 years in private industry and am now wondering if his government pension will reduce my Social Security payouts. Help??

Relax! The answer to that question is NO! How do I know? I went to a retirement seminar recently. I work for local government which does not pay into Social Security. A man from Social Security gave a talk and that was one of the issues he raised. Your Social Security applies to you. If you have any questions go to the social security website.

I have called Social Security asking about this same situation. The answer is that you will get benefits based on your own work record, not his.

My understanding is that the GPO would apply to HIM if he was getting Social Security AND his government pension if he had worked in both govt. and private. Or if he was receiving SS spouses benefits from your record of work.

mountainsea, do I have that part correct?

My understanding is that the GPO would apply to HIM if he was getting Social Security AND his government pension if he had worked in both govt. and private. Or if he was receiving SS spouses benefits from your record of work.
GPO effects spousal benefits. In this case, the husband's spousal benefit will be offset by his government pension. Likely his spousal benefits will be entirely offset.

In this case, the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) can reduce any SS benefit he would be entitled to on his own earnings record on which he paid Social Security taxes. But in this case it sounds like he does not have the 40 quarters of earnings needed to qualify for any benefits anyway.

And as Mt2Sea stated, in this the wife's own benefit will not be effected in the slightest by the government pension her husband receives.

Ginger: My wife and I are in the same situation as you - I have a Federal pension and not enough quarters from other work for social security. DW will be eligible for social security. EngMyFin has stated the situation accurately -- the impact is on your husband's benefits, not on yours.

Thank you all for the replies. My mind is totally at ease now...

My husband receives a government pension and no Social Security. I have worked over 32 years in private industry and am now wondering if his government pension will reduce my Social Security payouts. Help??

I agree with the information you've been given. No reduction in SS for you! But, as a couple, you (plural) won't benefit from hubby receiving half your SS due to the GPO.

Still, go to the SS website and read up on GPO and WEP. The info is surprisingly straight forward for a gov site. Maybe a ten minute read.

Back
Top Bottom