Applying for SS and the Government Shut Down

meleana

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So my husband will turn 70 in April 2024. (I turn 70 in a few more years)

Our Financial Planner encouraged us to wait until age 70 and live off our taxable accounts and we have been doing so since 2020. We started doing small Roth conversions last year so that is the main reason and it is keeping us in the 12 percent tax bracket. We didn't do them previously because I was on ACA for health insurance. Our savings account is dwindling understandably. We don't have pensions.

So all this push to collect SS at age 70 by financial people and the government and now he is close to applying in December (the earliest he can put in the application) and now a government shutdown looms!

Does anyone know how this would be handled? I keep hearing SS checks would still go out but I hear nothing regarding new applications. My concern is delays and as it is in normal times he still wouldn't get his first check until May1st!

I am sincerely worried and kind of angry as well. but maybe I shouldn't be?.

Thanks.

I would assume he could apply online even if the gubmint was shutdown at the time. No other human needed to do that.

Idk what happens behind the curtain after that, so . . . maybe someone else will reply about that.

Btw, his SS check will not come on May 1st anyway:
  • "If you were born on the 1st through the 10th of the month, you’ll be paid on the second Wednesday of the month.
  • If you were born on the 11th through the 20th of the month, you’ll be paid on the third Wednesday of the month.
  • If you were born after the 20th of the month, you’ll be paid on the fourth Wednesday of the month."

I would assume he could apply online even if the gubmint was shutdown at the time. No other human needed to do that.

Idk what happens behind the curtain after that, so . . . maybe someone else will reply about that.

Btw, his SS check will not come on May 1st anyway:
  • "If you were born on the 1st through the 10th of the month, you’ll be paid on the second Wednesday of the month.
  • If you were born on the 11th through the 20th of the month, you’ll be paid on the third Wednesday of the month.
  • If you were born after the 20th of the month, you’ll be paid on the fourth Wednesday of the month."

Thanks.

He was born April 14th, so I guess the third week of May.

And of course the other issue is Medicare since right now that premium (for B) is paid on autopay out of our checking account every month.

you're making a mountain out of a molehill...relax.

Back
Top Bottom