Great sales, or just chance

MRG

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I drive a 2005 Silverado 4x4 extended cab LT with about 150K on it, been a good truck very little problems with "non wear" items. So the Check Airbag light comes on and go to the dealer that has done any real work on it.

In the past they give out loaners, low end Chevy's with basic features. That's what I expected, guy pulls around in a 2014 Silverado 4x4 extra cab LT, with 31 miles on it. Thing is loaded with every option I've ever seen, really liked the back up camera.

Told DW it's not even coming in garage. Really nice truck, guessing the list is 45. DW was well you could use a truck. I figure in 2016, that 2014 will be about where I'll consider getting one, 2 years old.

So clever sales tool, or just chance. I have no idea, my 2005 (after the replacement airbag sensor was installed) seems just fine.

MRG

Very sneaky!

FWIW my 2002 Excursion became unmaintainable at 185k. Took a "Jesus take the wheel" moment (Pitman arm failed) followed by brake line break for me to realize "this ain't worth it." So we replaced it last month.

It's nice when the sales people say "it's worth more to you than it is to us". Initial trade in offer was 1k.

Last edited:
Very sneaky!

FWIW my 2002 Excursion became unmaintainable at 185k. Took a "Jesus take the wheel" moment (Pitman arm failed) followed by brake line break for me to realize "this ain't worth it." So we replaced it last month.

It's nice when the sales people say "it's worth more to you than it is to us". Initial trade in offer was 1k.

Tryan, you could have just kept those comments to yourself, you know. I have an 2002 Trailblazer with 194k on it, and have no plans for a new one. I don't need to be thinking about "Jesus taking the wheel" while driving it! :)

Well ... I left out the "best" part ....

I had been driving 70+ mph for 6 straight hours on the thruway. Pitman arm let go on the exit ramp ~45 mph. Jumped the curb into a field. The AAA dude looks under the truck then looks back at the traffic and says "you're the luckiest guy I ever met".

The brake line popped two weeks later .... that's another story.

That's what happens when DW gets her BMW or Mini repaired. She might bring a BMW Z4 or Mini convertible back as a loaner. We're not frequent purchasers, but our old 2000 BMW 540i purchase was influenced by such a loaner.

I don't know if it was intended as a sales tool or not, but it would sure persuade me to buy! I love the experience of driving a brand new vehicle like that.

Sneaky! This is why I've never in my entire life had a vehicle serviced at a dealership! :)

Airbags, please recondider. I talked with a gal I know from Megacorp whose husband owns a body shop. Her answer 'we only use the dealership, because of liability.' She went on that you might find someone willing to do it, make sure you save the recipient. ' I have no desire to be sued after I trade that vehicle in.

MRG

Airbags, please recondider. I talked with a gal I know from Megacorp whose husband owns a body shop. Her answer 'we only use the dealership, because of liability.' She went on that you might find someone willing to do it, make sure you save the recipient. ' I have no desire to be sued after I trade that vehicle in.

MRG

Wait, you've got a car with airbags? :D Trade-in? What's that?

I don't need to be thinking about "Jesus taking the wheel" while driving it! :)

315xu7t.jpg

Wait, you've got a car with airbags? :D Trade-in? What's that?

Somebody's gonna drive it after it leaves my possession(hopefully).

Hey, we learned to trade for stuff years ago. Our first log truck was purchased for '2 calves and 1 untitled Vespa moto-scooter'. In that state at that time, we traded. NO State sales tax, I guess sales tax applied when the asset was acquired.

The truck, we towed it to a guys garage, after we did 'new engine', brakes, bed, axel, it was drivable. I enjoyed it, doing all that work it was great. It was great for a long time. Years later, I have no interest in all that stuff.

MRG

Somebody's gonna drive it after it leaves my possession(hopefully).

Hey, we learned to trade for stuff years ago. Our first log truck was purchased for '2 calves and 1 untitled Vespa moto-scooter'. In that state at that time, we traded. NO State sales tax, I guess sales tax applied when the asset was acquired.

The truck, we towed it to a guys garage, after we did 'new engine', brakes, bed, axel, it was drivable. I enjoyed it, doing all that work it was great. It was great for a long time. Years later, I have no interest in all that stuff.

MRG

To be fair, I think my current ride does have airbags, but the light has been on since I bought it. Never occurred to me to do anything about it. I have enough trouble keeping the important parts running.

We did once sell an old car to a local drug dealer for $700. I know this because he paid us in all $5 and $10 bills. It was a situation where he didn't ask if the airbags had been maintained under warranty--he wanted to know if the stereo worked, mostly.

I traded an old boat motor for a homemade minibike. It is awesome, except when we get to drinking and drive it into trees on our place. Don't worry, it isn't street legal.

I use the dealership while it's still under warranty. When that expires, I use a friend's repair shop. Not the cheapest place in town, but someone I can trust.

I'm getting close to trading in my old Trailblazer. Still runs pretty good, but want something newer and more reliable for long trips. I've been buying used the last 3 or so, but going to break down on a new one this time. Maybe a demo though. Looking at a Traverse.

Won't be too long before I'm shopping for a new pickup. Gotta scrape the $$ together first & I'll be on it. Have to save it up from income, not coming from retirement funds.

I use the dealership while it's still under warranty. When that expires, I use a friend's repair shop. Not the cheapest place in town, but someone I can trust.

That's generally what I do. Under the warranty period I let the dealer do it just so they have the records in case something happens. After that it's DIY for most everything.

Never heard having liability after a used car sale. Most are sold as is, unless you provide a warranty or make false representation once the title is transferred it's gone. I have bought used but get a purchase inspection before completing the sale.

Liability For Misrepresentation When Selling A Vehicle | LegalMatch Law Library

DH had his 2001 Corolla at the dealership for something and came home with a Scion IQ. It was AWFUL! We like small cars just fine but this was tiny, noisy, uncomfortable and just a POS (piece of sh!t).

I tried the backseat just for the heck of it and was almost stuck back there because the movements required to enter and exit were nearly injurious to someone over the age of 16. No place to plant a foot to leverage forward and out. This car would be appropriate for a limber single person who never buys groceries, has no friends and has no intention of having children. Or even a full sized pet.

DH had his 2001 Corolla at the dealership for something and came home with a Scion IQ. It was AWFUL! We like small cars just fine but this was tiny, noisy, uncomfortable and just a POS (piece of sh!t).

I tried the backseat just for the heck of it and was almost stuck back there because the movements required to enter and exit were nearly injurious to someone over the age of 16. No place to plant a foot to leverage forward and out. This car would be appropriate for a limber single person who never buys groceries, has no friends and has no intention of having children. Or even a full sized pet.

Hey Sue, why not tell us what you really think?

Funniest car review ever!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

We went to buy a new car a couple of years ago. I got the price over the phone, we confirmed the price with the sales man when we went in person, they handed us they keys to the car and then gave us the paper work with a much higher price than the one we just agreed on five minutes earlier.

We asked what was going on and they said their competitors were doing that so they hated to pull tricks like that but they had to do that to get us in the door. So we gave them the keys back and told them even at the latest price they actually were still the lowest price we found, but we would gladly pay more money to buy from a different dealership that didn't engage in creepy sales tactics.

I have read since then that giving people the keys to a new car makes it hard for them to give up and that is a common sales tactic. I don't get that because it makes no difference to me whether I am holding the keys or not. I'm not a five year old. But apparently some people once they get the keys in their hand will do anything to keep the car.

So to make a long story short, I vote sales tactic!

Last edited:
Yikes, daylate! I suppose there are bad apples in every business but that takes the cake! The last car dealership I was in was in 1988, when I went with my dad to pick out my new GMC Jimmy, a high school graduation present. Little did I know that once I started working, Dad would hand me the coupon book! Still stings to remember my $325 car payment and my $200 rent payment, all on $6 an hour wages. Never again, I said then!
I wouldn't even know what to think in your situation--glad you were able to walk away like that.

I have read since then that giving people the keys to a new car makes it hard for them to give up and that is a common sales tactic. I don't get that because it makes no difference to me whether I am holding the keys or not. I'm not a five year old. But apparently some people once they get the keys in their hand will do anything to keep the car.

I'd heard something similar. That a car sales man's job is to get you to visualize yourself driving that brand new shiney car. Once you'd done that, most people buy. Think the key in hand has the same type of effect.

Kinda why I wouldn't put the thing in the garage. Dad always had a rule about stray animals, not comimg in the house.

MRG

FWIW my 2002 Excursion became unmaintainable at 185k. Took a "Jesus take the wheel" moment (Pitman arm failed) followed by brake line break for me to realize "this ain't worth it."

To continue with the 90 degree turn...

Guy is following another car on a two-lane. The driver of the lead car is obviously drunk as indicated by his erratic driving. The driver of the following car decides to get around the drunk for safety. In doing so, he floors it and pulls out to pass, just as a truck turns toward him from a road just ahead. The ensuing crash is a real mess, but fortunately, no one is hurt beyond minor cuts, scrapes and bruises. The drunk approaches the guy at fault and asks if he is okay. The bruised driver replies "The LORD is riding with me" to which the drunk replies "Well, you better let him ride with me before you kill him!" YMMV

Back
Top Bottom