Craigslist - good or bad in your experience?

We drive our cars until they are in bad shape so I just look at the BB price and price it under that and it's gone fast. I figure whoever buys it is poor and I disclose anything wrong and figure I rather the person get a good deal versus the dealer.

I use kijiji (Canada's version of Craigslist) and have a lot of success with it and have had no bad experiences.

Just last week I just bought a PA mixer from a guy who was hesitant to have people come to his house...but then we exchanged Facebook pages and found we had some mutual friends that could vouch. So, I invited him to my place because I wanted to plug it in and test it out...you need speakers and a microphone or an instrument and that's not easy to do in a parking lot.

He came by with the PA, I tested it, and while I was doing that he said that he works with very troubled juvenile criminals which is why he was so concerned about anyone knowing his address. The PA worked fine so I bought it and while we were chatting we found that we had similar musical interests so we exchanged number for future jams.

We are also downsizing for a move. Sold a car on Autotrader last week. Just started listing stuff on Craig's List today. Vibrating exercise machine was the first listed. Lots more to come. Very timely thread for me.

I’ve had good luck buying and selling on Craigslist since it started. I sold my house fsbo, houseboat, cars, atv’s, RV’s, and most other commodities. I bet all in all I’ve benefited at least $75.000 over the years using Craigslist.

I’ve had good luck buying and selling on Craigslist since it started. I sold my house fsbo, houseboat, cars, atv’s, RV’s, and most other commodities. I bet all in all I’ve benefited at least $75.000 over the years using Craigslist.

I heard of someone else who also sold their home on Craiglist. Can you tell us exactly the details of this whole process because I am considering doing this next year.

OP here with final results and impressions of our recent Craigslist experience.

*We sold 39 of the 89 items listed on Craigslist.
*We received full listed price on 38 of the 39 items sold. One item listed for $325 was discounted $10.
*By my choice all sales were made at my home, my experience is if you can get a potential buyer to come to you, you will make a sale. Not one person who showed up left without the item.
*All but one sale was cash, I only accepted a check from a neighbor.
*Many people came from more than 25 miles to purchase items. Furthest drove 5.5 hours each way.
*Only one no show
*Only saw one holstered pistol, but Iowa is a concealed carry state. Guy was super friendly, could have been off-duty law enforcement.
*Guy stuff sells the best, hand and power tools, garage stuff. I about cleared out everything like that except some metal storage shelving.
*If you research prices to arrive at realistic prices and get good pictures and give accurate descriptions you have a better chance to get full price on your items.
*Total sales was $10,625 in 33 days.

Overall we are pleased with the Craigslist experience and plan to use it in the future.

Well done.

I sold some personal items on Craigslist last year for a move, as well as a nice vehicle (sold it for a low price, buyer didn't negotiate). I took a lot of good quality photos (higher the value, higher number of photos) and provided as much relative details and information about the item I was selling. I didn't provide my phone number and I usually place a line at the bottom of the ad along these lines:

This item is still available if you see this ad. Out of respect for the community I will promptly remove it when it is sold. I don't check my email often (I only use a PC for email), so please be patient and I will respond soon as possible. Due to the high number of scams, place some specific/detailed info in your inquiry so I won't mistake you for a scammer.

Any replies I got starting with "Is this still for sale?" was ignored. A scammer won't read the full ad, so I just assumed they were a scammer, unless they sent another reply. I also priced things at a very good price for the buyer as I don't like to negotiate (feels cheap). If priced right, good photos and detailed description, things sell quickly. If someone offers a low price without even seeing it, I ignore them, especially if I had just listed the item. It is frustrating dealing with the low ballers wanting something for nothing. To me, I didn't need the money, I just wanted the items gone or to a good home while expecting a fair price (more fair for the buyer than me). If a genuinely poor or needy person showed up, I'd give a big discount or add more stuff or gave stuff away.

Back
Top Bottom