Great Time for Soccer Fans

Chile - campiones de Copa America!

Chile - Argentina was a good match, but very defensive. Neither team scored and the match was decided by penalty shots. A fantastic save by Chile's keeper Bravo will be remembered for ages. Argentina's Messi missed his shot and afterwards announced his retirement from international football. :( Lionel Messi: Argentina forward retires from international football - BBC Sport

Great game for Iceland. One my favorites from Euro2016.

It'll be interesting to see how they play against France. England definitely had issues today and Iceland might not get that lucky again.

Great game for Iceland. One my favorites from Euro2016.

It'll be interesting to see how they play against France. England definitely had issues today and Iceland might not get that lucky again.

Yes, it was a good game for Iceland.... and I am also rooting for them now...

England has crashed out of almost all major tournaments... I was living in the UK during Euro 2000 and was in a pool... I had picked England to go a good ways as they had a good team... one of my employees told me that I was not going to win since no matter how good a team England puts on the filed they never win... the story is the same 16 years later....

I've watched most of the matches. The Italy/Spain yesterday was one of the best so far. Germany/Italy on Saturday is a must see as the Italians never lost to the Germans in competitive football but Germany is the reigning World champs.

England's loss to Iceland is pretty embarrassing considering Iceland is the size of RI with 1/3 the population. The French must play better than they've played so far to beat Iceland on Saturday or their coach will follow his English counterpart to the unemployment line.

Last edited:
Probably , a little over 330,000 people live in Iceland .

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

and the US team probably can't beat them either

and the US team probably can't beat them either

Actually they can. They beat them a few months ago in a friendly. granted , it was a friendly , but it was an indicator they are completely capable of beating them.

Football (soccer) has never been a major sport in the US. It's fanaticism in England....

It's within the realm of argument that the MLS is now very close to being a major sport in the us - average attendance is now already greater than the nba and the nhl . They have a long way to go in the television revenue scheme of things - but since they are putting people in the stands , it's probably just a matter of time before they start catching up in that area

It's within the realm of argument that the MLS is now very close to being a major sport in the us - average attendance is now already greater than the nba and the nhl . They have a long way to go in the television revenue scheme of things - but since they are putting people in the stands , it's probably just a matter of time before they start catching up in that area

Houston Dynamo crowds are crazy

I actually worked with Bobby Boswell's brother for a few years.

Germany/Italy on Saturday is a must see as the Italians never lost to the Germans in competitive football but Germany is the reigning World champs.
1 all in complete time and overtime. 6:5 for Germany in penalty shots. Very exciting here in Koblenz.

The final match is today at 2:00 eastern time. Surprise finalists - Portugal vs France. Stay tuned ..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 15.01.00.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 15.01.00.png
    144 KB · Views: 7
Well, that sure was an unexciting final match.

Last edited:
Nice summary of why soccer hasn't really caught on in the US. :)

Except that it has, if you measure by stadium attendance , which is a reasonable indicator of fan base.

Except that it has, if you measure by stadium attendance , which is a reasonable indicator of fan base.

shhhh.

LOL!
First Welch sign I'd even dare try to pronounce!

Ahem... WelSh,...:angel:

It is a fiendishly difficult language to try and learn (I've tried several times) and can sound quite guttural but when spoken (especially with a southern Welsh accent) the cadence can make it sound very sing-songy.

When I was a kid and we used to go to the UK in the summer I would sometimes fall asleep at night while listening to my Dad and his sister speaking Welsh in her kitchen. About 20% of the population are still fluent.

Back
Top Bottom