Yet another thread looking for advice :)

qwertyguy123

Confused about dryer sheets
First time poster here. Spent a while reading through here and other forums/websites. But couldn't find anything that's kinda specific to our situation so looking for some friendly advice.

- Wife and I are nearing 40 (just 1-2 years away)
- Wife is stay at home mom; we have 3 kids
- I work in Corporate America with a base pay $200K. With variable bonus, total Comp has been roughly $260K-$300K.
- We live on the East Coast and also send our oldest two to private school for the last few years ($26K annually for two ($13K x 2), otherwise we’d have much more in assets

Financial Profile

- $213K in my company’s 401K
- $20K in legacy company pension (no longer funded but I got in at the tail-end right before they stopped offering this – but it’ll continue to grow with annual 4% interest credits)
- $390K in a traditional Betterment IRA
- $35K in taxable Betterment account invested in index funds
- $10K in taxable Ameritrade account invested in a couple stocks
- $100K in three separate college 529 funds ($45k, $45k, and $10K)
- $50K in student loan debt (3.19% interest rate) – should finish paying this off over the next few years unless I decide to pay-off early
- Currently rent

Long story short we’re selling a home and will walk away with $1.4mm cash. We’re ready for a lifestyle change.

The Change

- Going to relocate to a MUCH lower cost country, for privacy reasons, not divulging but essentially is where our parents are from and we have many relatives around

- We’ve realized how important family is (takes a village to raise a kid) and we want to spend time with our kids, immediate and extended family members, and escaping the rat race

- The country has national healthcare coverage, so essentially even if we don’t work we will have virtually free / cheap healthcare coverage

- Cost wise – the biggest expense will be enrolling in private American school there, $20k times 2 kids = $40K. We have 3 kids (youngest is pre-school, oldest two are in elementary and middle school). There will be 4 years of overlap where all 3 kids overlap (so $60K). We don’t have any local school choice as our oldest 2 kids can’t read or write the local language and would take years to acclimate, so they need an English speaking school

- We’ll also likely purchase a home and spend $3K a year on mortgage ($36K)

- All in living costs are going to be $100K annually is my guess

Why

Like others here, Corporate America has sucked the life out of me. I’m done with it. My health has been terrible over the last 2 years, both mentally and physically – with anxiety attacks and panic attacks. I know it’s time for me to leave and to no longer ignore that still small voice.

I’m hoping to negotiate a voluntary layoff package given the company has headcount reduction targets. So I’d like to raise my hand for that, rather than someone else who really needs the job. Any severance money there would be a nice bonus prior to us relocating later this year (once covid restrictions ease) – it looks to be 24 weeks of pay, which would be close to $90K pre-tax. If no severance, I’m ok with that as well, as our minds are made up.

What Will We Do

I’ll take half a year to a year off to settle in and be a dad to my kids and emotionally be there for them as they adjust to new life. My wife started an online business recently and will look to scale that up and I’ll help out there. Her revenues in 2020 for about 4 months was around $10K, so I think with more focus and time we can scale this to be a $50K revenue business (after expenses and tax, maybe take home $20K).

I also plan to look into consulting, education, or administration type jobs – something that’s less stress and allows me to take my education / work training and invest it in a way that I find meaningful. I don’t need a 6 figure salary at all. If I’m fortunate enough to land a job at the private school in administration/operations, the kids’ tuition would even be free.

Financial Projections

I plan to rollover my 401K into my existing Betterment IRA which would be a combined $600K. Then I’ll contribute $12K annually into this now much larger traditional IRA. I’ll also add $30K annually into the taxable Betterment account. Both of which I would start withdrawing down at 59.5 or 20 years away. Betterment forecasts that I’ll have $1.8mm (most likely outcome) by then.

What are some drawdown / investment strategies with the $1.4mm to bridge the 20 year gap between now and 59.5 (and then we'd also have SS kick in during the 60's).

Keep in mind we’re retaining our American citizenship and will continue to file and pay US taxes on our worldwide income (hence means we can take advantage of SS when it’s our time).

I’ve looked at an absolute worst case scenario which means the money runs out in ~13 years (assumes no investment growth, no other income, we sit around all day and do nothing and my kids never graduate from private school and we keep paying there LOL). I don’t mine drawing down on the principal $1.4mm to fund our life, knowing that ultimately if I can get tuition free private schooling, my wife’s business scales greatly, or I find a job – then whatever we make can certainly cover half, most, or all our projected living expenses.

Thanks for your help in advance. It was quite cathartic to write this all out as I’ve been wrestling with admittedly first class world “problem” on what to do for a while now.

... Long story short we’re selling a home and will walk away with $1.4mm cash. ... Thanks for your help in advance. It was quite cathartic to write this all out ...

$1.4M seems like a lot until you remember that per capita for your family of 5 it's only $280k per head. :(

When I was your age, I also dreamt of bailing out of mega-corp. I used to visit a business brokerage website and browse the listings. I never did buy a business, but just being able to dream was good for my mental health.

I tend to be (overly) cautious in my financial planning. IMO it looks to me like your proposal has numerous risks, but this doesn't mean it won't work.

Good luck! :greetings10:

First time poster here. Spent a while reading through here and other forums/websites. But couldn't find anything that's kinda specific to our situation so looking for some friendly advice.

- Wife and I are nearing 40 (just 1-2 years away)
- Wife is stay at home mom; we have 3 kids
- I work in Corporate America with a base pay $200K. With variable bonus, total Comp has been roughly $260K-$300K.
- We live on the East Coast and also send our oldest two to private school for the last few years ($26K annually for two ($13K x 2), otherwise we’d have much more in assets

Financial Profile

- $213K in my company’s 401K
- $20K in legacy company pension (no longer funded but I got in at the tail-end right before they stopped offering this – but it’ll continue to grow with annual 4% interest credits)
- $390K in a traditional Betterment IRA
- $35K in taxable Betterment account invested in index funds
- $10K in taxable Ameritrade account invested in a couple stocks
- $100K in three separate college 529 funds ($45k, $45k, and $10K)
- $50K in student loan debt (3.19% interest rate) – should finish paying this off over the next few years unless I decide to pay-off early
- Currently rent

Long story short we’re selling a home and will walk away with $1.4mm cash. We’re ready for a lifestyle change.

The Change

- Going to relocate to a MUCH lower cost country, for privacy reasons, not divulging but essentially is where our parents are from and we have many relatives around

- We’ve realized how important family is (takes a village to raise a kid) and we want to spend time with our kids, immediate and extended family members, and escaping the rat race

- The country has national healthcare coverage, so essentially even if we don’t work we will have virtually free / cheap healthcare coverage

- Cost wise – the biggest expense will be enrolling in private American school there, $20k times 2 kids = $40K. We have 3 kids (youngest is pre-school, oldest two are in elementary and middle school). There will be 4 years of overlap where all 3 kids overlap (so $60K). We don’t have any local school choice as our oldest 2 kids can’t read or write the local language and would take years to acclimate, so they need an English speaking school

- We’ll also likely purchase a home and spend $3K a year on mortgage ($36K)

- All in living costs are going to be $100K annually is my guess

Why

Like others here, Corporate America has sucked the life out of me. I’m done with it. My health has been terrible over the last 2 years, both mentally and physically – with anxiety attacks and panic attacks. I know it’s time for me to leave and to no longer ignore that still small voice.

I’m hoping to negotiate a voluntary layoff package given the company has headcount reduction targets. So I’d like to raise my hand for that, rather than someone else who really needs the job. Any severance money there would be a nice bonus prior to us relocating later this year (once covid restrictions ease) – it looks to be 24 weeks of pay, which would be close to $90K pre-tax. If no severance, I’m ok with that as well, as our minds are made up.

What Will We Do

I’ll take half a year to a year off to settle in and be a dad to my kids and emotionally be there for them as they adjust to new life. My wife started an online business recently and will look to scale that up and I’ll help out there. Her revenues in 2020 for about 4 months was around $10K, so I think with more focus and time we can scale this to be a $50K revenue business (after expenses and tax, maybe take home $20K).

I also plan to look into consulting, education, or administration type jobs – something that’s less stress and allows me to take my education / work training and invest it in a way that I find meaningful. I don’t need a 6 figure salary at all. If I’m fortunate enough to land a job at the private school in administration/operations, the kids’ tuition would even be free.

Financial Projections

I plan to rollover my 401K into my existing Betterment IRA which would be a combined $600K. Then I’ll contribute $12K annually into this now much larger traditional IRA. I’ll also add $30K annually into the taxable Betterment account. Both of which I would start withdrawing down at 59.5 or 20 years away. Betterment forecasts that I’ll have $1.8mm (most likely outcome) by then.

What are some drawdown / investment strategies with the $1.4mm to bridge the 20 year gap between now and 59.5 (and then we'd also have SS kick in during the 60's).

Keep in mind we’re retaining our American citizenship and will continue to file and pay US taxes on our worldwide income (hence means we can take advantage of SS when it’s our time).

I’ve looked at an absolute worst case scenario which means the money runs out in ~13 years (assumes no investment growth, no other income, we sit around all day and do nothing and my kids never graduate from private school and we keep paying there LOL). I don’t mine drawing down on the principal $1.4mm to fund our life, knowing that ultimately if I can get tuition free private schooling, my wife’s business scales greatly, or I find a job – then whatever we make can certainly cover half, most, or all our projected living expenses.

Thanks for your help in advance. It was quite cathartic to write this all out as I’ve been wrestling with admittedly first class world “problem” on what to do for a while now.

Difficult to answer based on info provided. You clearly have some other drivers here (undisclosed) that have you making a pretty drastic and major life change, so it's going to be tough for folks like us to really help.

Here is what I can tell you. I was the sole bread earner with a SAHW whereby we raised 4 kids (currently 24 - 30, 2 married, all independent). We made this decision knowing certain sacrifices would be made when kid 1 was born. Fortunately, my career was successful and we made it work to plan whereby everything was in-place for me to retire at 55 with a nice nut to fund a pretty high discretionary lifestyle, if we so choose... all part of our plan. That said, my plan wanted to make sure those 4 kids were funded and off the payroll. There are ALLOT of planned and UNPLANNED expenses that arise getting your kids from early schooling thru college to independence.

It sounds like your current job/financial structure is pretty well set up to support a similar path, but clearly something is motivating you otherwise.
Suggestion... maybe take a step back and breath before you punt your current situation and perhaps you can find a compromise. I think you are risking too much by "hoping" things work out and living off your $1.4M with $100K (sounds very rough) in expenses. Again, only you know how bad this thing is that is driving you to make such a drastic change, but I would take the time to really think thru things before you cut a run.

Best of luck!

Why are you sending your children to private schools? You can enrich their education through Saturday school programs for a fraction of the cost. If you want a faith-based education I guess you are stuck. One of my grandchildren is a 'different learner', he may attend a private high school where they can teach him coping skills as well as academics (he tests out very bright, so much so he doesn't pay attention in class).

There are some in my community who believe that private schools provide a superior education. My observation is that isn't true, IMHO it was a parental status decision. My children's peers who attended private primary and secondary schools are not as economically successful. Save your money for their college educations.

I'm not sure if you have enough to retire... even with the $1.4m. So then I guess it depends on how much you can earn in a different job or consulting or whatever.

First question... you say "walk away" with $1.4m in cash... is that after federal and state taxes on the gain on the sale? I presume that the first $500k of gain qualify for the principal residence exemption but the remaining gain will be taxed, probably at 15% or more for federal plus something for state.

Since you have a lot of moving parts, I suggest that you run your situation through Quicken Lifetime Planner to get a better idea of if you have enough or how much you need to earn in order to have a viable plan.

Last edited:
Been there, done that! I had a similar mid-life crisis where we seriously considered RE to another county. In the end, we didn't pull the plug and decided to wait it out till we were 50. I was 37 back then. Here are couple of major reasons that helped me against my impulse at the time:
* Too long of time without earned income so everything needs to be full proof. My definition of full proof: invested assets 36 times spending. You are nowhere close to that number. I was at 20 times when I gave up.
* Too many tangibles in this country that we take it for granted.

We made a huge list of pro and cons of RE vs working at the time but these two were the one that aced the list.

Either reduce your expenses drastically or keep working. I know how frustrating this is but there is no free lunch.

I have a counter example too: my close friend (in a similar boat) pulled the plug and RE. He is back here after 10 years and started working again. Fortunately he had a PHD degree that can employ him anytime in the farma industry so he is doing well now. But he would probably won't be able do RE 2.0 EVER.

Yet another thread looking for advice 😊

20 years to 59.5 years old with 1.4 mil cash and 3 kids + a $3000/month mortgage (36,000 a year), - that will be challenging.

Why don't you buy a house with cash and eliminate that $3,000/monthly expense associated with a mortgage.

Last edited:
QG123,

As others have expressed, I would be very concerned you do not have enough.

Your not even 40 year old yet.

I would advise you to stay put, hang tuff and re-evaluate when your ~45 year old to 50 years of age.....

You have done well, but at your age with 3 little ones...... I would tell you to bear down on work and make Hay While The Sun Is Shining....
You have expenses with the kiddos that you can't even begin to identify, much less budget for - that is for sure..... just sayin.....

Admittedly I am old fashioned - for ms gamboolgal and I - my job was our livelihood and we both come from Parents who grew up on farms in the depression. So I am sure that influenced me working the Oilpatch for 43 years as I have seen many men and their families go Bust and lose there homes and everything.

All the best and again, congrats on doing a fantastic job thus far young man

gamboolman

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....

I think a lot of it depends on healthcare. If where you are going to live has nationalized healthcare, and you can use it, and it is cheap/free, then go for it. You have more than enough. Especially if you are going to work oddjobs for spending cash.

Take your kids out of private school. They will do fine in public schools (depends on the country).

Your investments are going to keep earning money. Cut down on some of your expenses (if you can) and make sure you don't buy nice/new fancy things. I agree with previous poster that you should just buy a house outright if you can in cash - you'll get a better deal. The country I live in people are really hit hard with Covid and you can find houses for a steal if you have cash.

Panic attacks, anxiety, stress - not worth it! If you don't have your health (mental included) then you might as well have nothing. Just go!

Enjoy your F.I. (with R.E. to come later!) :D

Since you have spent a while reading through posts on this forum you should be able to identify those who have been around here for awhile and are respected for their advice. If not then read more. This is an important step. Take time to wait for responses from those people. Don't rush in to accept advice that sounds good because it is what you want to hear. This is going to take some objective (and not always what you want to hear) analysis.

Cheers!

I was reading your original post once again. I realized that lot of your plan is based on what future holds (SS, online business, side income, etc.). I wouldn't rely on uncertain future revenue streams. FYI: YOUR worst case scenario doesn't include currency and inflation risks. God forbid, if your worst case scenario comes true then SS won't be enough to pay for your lifestyle. You will have to rebuild the nest egg at a ripe age of 60 which would be very very hard. Just saying.

If you are truly burned out then I would try to do some or all of the following:
* Find ways to reduce your expenses without sacrificing quality of life.
* Move kids out of private school and in to a GOOD public school. This is very easy to do almost anywhere in the country by renting a small house in a good neighborhood.
* Your move will also unlock the capital from your primary house which you can invest. The compounding will do it's magic in a decade or so!
* Take a less stressful job (and take this opportunity to move to a different state which offers activities/hobbies you enjoy). I have personally done this (minus the move) 3 years ago when I took a pay cut for a job that offers less stress and more time. I don't regret it a bit.
* Let things coast for 10 years and enjoy the time with your family. The future will look much more clear after 10 years. At least it did for me!

Last edited:
Thankful for all the responses here. I know everyone has their own personal view and perspective on early retirement - and appreciative of that! I'd love to clarify a couple things as the replies here have greatly helped.

1. I definitely do not plan on retiring early 100%. I definitely plan on continuing to work in our relocated country, but will take some time to figure out what the next steps are. Think of it as a mini sabbatical as I pivot away from the high-pressure world of corporate america. I will gladly work 20-40 hours a week doing something part-time, more flexible, even at significantly reduced pay. I'm valuing the FI part of the equation, with RE coming much later when all kids are truly out of the house.

2. My oldest two are already in or about to hit middle school (think tweeners). Soon, they will be out of the house and likely off to college where we will try to help with our 529 savings but also fully expect them to make good choices in terms of cost/value equation, work part-time, and take out loans. We had our first two children quite early, with the third one coming a decade after them. So am definitely aware of the rising living costs for kids :) that said, once the oldest two are in college, things will get a lot easier and that's 6-8 years away.

3. As others have astutely detected, there seem to be other undisclosed reasons for a drastic relocation/change, but really it's about family and making the most of our time on this earth. We have parents that are aging and we do not get to spend time with them very much. Being in the same country/city will enable us to make the most of our life in a meaningful way while they are still around and in good health and can enjoy their grandchildren. Not to mention, we have many other relatives and siblings in the relocation country -- all close by. We would like to have help with family, being able to swing by for a dinner, impromptu get togethers on the weekends. Today it's limited to once every 18-24 months and requires significant vacation planning and air travel/jetlag. With the loss of several relatives over the years, it's made me re-evaluate life success and what's truly meaningful.

4. I also totally get everyone here is going to be more conservative and many are advising to wait some more time. I understand that perspective as well, as I am quite risk adverse. It has taken quite a long time for me to get to this realization that I may be OK walking away a bit from the sure path ahead.

That said, I figure I should also read some of the other posts here (and if anyone has good suggestions, I would welcome it) on how to best invest the cash "windfall" so the investments would continue to grow (while drawing down on some of the growth, or even principal, for anything that my part-time job or wife's business can't cover).

I'm also trying to stay balanced and not just gravitate toward the "hear what you want to hear" confirmation bias advice. Already it's been made clear that there likely isn't a good way to just simply RE (which I know I'm young anyway), so I'll want to generate income somehow, somewhere - either through dividend investments, real estate projects, working part-time, scaling my wife's business, etc.

I realize I am fortunate enough to have a measure of FI here, but know that I can't do full RE just yet.

Last edited:
We were you in 2011 except our kiddo was married and through college. We moved to experience something we talked about over the years and really enjoyed it. We returned to the careers we left 4-6 years later and had no problems landing anything (although half your lofty position). Our friends (multiple couples) have various challenges with the choices they made with their children going with them.

2+3 kiddos to China in 2011 - 3 kids now live in China, Taiwan and France. They do not get to see them as often as they want & are missing out on their grandchildren due to travel costs, time & of course, Covid. They are living in Texas currently, back at work in insurance claims and somewhat alone at age 56.

2+3 kiddos in Mexico for 15 years - they are close to the kids, & home-schooling. Locally, they are confident but seem to stay close to the nest. Reliant on their parents even in their 20's & only the father has worked remotely. They may have challenges if they return stateside to a career.

Think about what your kids may do as they age & where this will take them (maybe nowhere).

Your numbers are likely to work if you are earning a basic wage to assist. If your kids do not attend college in the states, are the 429s usable? Minor things, but things to think about. Finding a balance is a tough one when more people are involved.

Last edited:
I think the main question is how much supplemental income will you have? Either your wife's business income, or your working income. I would be hesitant with your savings and anticipated budget without some supplemental income amount. How much is needed is your risk decision and also dependent on your final budget numbers once settled int he new location.

One question that you can answer, will you have any issues with staying in your new country for extended period? Is there a visa program that allows you to still be a US citizen, paying US taxes, and not require something from you in addition to pay new country taxes or similar?

2. My oldest two are already in or about to hit middle school (think tweeners). Soon, they will be out of the house and likely off to college where we will try to help with our 529 savings but also fully expect them to make good choices in terms of cost/value equation, work part-time, and take out loans. We had our first two children quite early, with the third one coming a decade after them. So am definitely aware of the rising living costs for kids :) that said, once the oldest two are in college, things will get a lot easier and that's 6-8 years away.

Try to help:confused:? after paying for private schools!

I agree that college students should make good decisions regarding cost and vaue of their academic program, even work part-time BUT that paragraph tells me that you aren't making adequate provision for their college expenses.

You haven't justified the cost of private schools while planning to decrease your earning power.

I hope this comes out the way I mean it to: In addition to either moving to a less stressful j*b within the US or staying put (as others have suggested), I would seek professional help with the anxiety. Moving changes circumstances but may not help with any underlying anxiety issues. I say this gently and with respect.

I do think you are well on your way, financially to Early Retirement. Best of luck!

I hope this comes out the way I mean it to: In addition to either moving to a less stressful j*b within the US or staying put (as others have suggested), I would seek professional help with the anxiety. Moving changes circumstances but may not help with any underlying anxiety issues. I say this gently and with respect.

I do think you are well on your way, financially to Early Retirement. Best of luck!

No offense taken whatsoever. I truly appreciate your care. I too, realize, that there is indeed underlying issues and wounds from prior situations that need to be worked through and to be healed of. For the first time ever also, I'm actively working through this and sharing my journey with a small group of trusted friendships. That has been a healing salve to my soul, mind, and physical health as others have too shared their anxiety journey's and to know I'm not alone. It's a process. I'm remarkably better than 2-3 years ago where I'm pretty sure I had some form of depression.

I know moving may not necessarily be the answer and may be a temporary bandaid - and so I'm still working through my own personal growth story. The biggest one of which is that I am an OVERANALYIS person where I constantly second guess myself and replay situations and completely get obsessed with future planning details and options and that just brings me down a huge rabbit hole of no return. I'm learning to let go and trust in my faith as the source of significance and meaning and to admit that you can't always plan every single detail of every month for the next ten years (even though that's my natural obsessive tendency to want to control and have everything perfectly laid out safely).

This was a mouthful. Thank you for the kind suggestion and care.

Back
Top Bottom