Greatest hate songs ever

I may have missed some of these being mentioned, but...

Steam - Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye

Robert Cray Band - Smoking Gun

Police - Every Breath You Take (see the lyrics - it is NOT about love, it is about stalking someone)

Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer

The Castaways/Debbie Harry (I like both versions) - Liar, Liar

Electric Light Orchestra - Evil Woman

Guess Who - American Woman

Loggins and Messina - Angry Eyes

Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues

O'Jays - 992 Arguments

Simple Minds - Promised You a Miracle

Spinners - It's a Shame

Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle Without Honor or Humanity (yeah it is a instrumental, but used in a "hateful" way in Kill Bill :) )

Interesting post. "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen has been misrepresented over the years as a USA cheer song. Doesn't anyone listen to the words?

Thanks for this enlightenment.

+1 on You're no good, Linda Ronstadt's version. It's damn straight forward and she belts it out like she means it. You're no good. This thread's no good. This forum's no good. The world's no good. Baby, you no good. >:D

Chain of fools by A. Franklin:

Lyrics
Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain of fools
For five long years
I thought you were my man
But I found out
I'm just a link in your chain
You got me where you want me
I ain't nothin' but your fool
Ya treated me mean
Oh you treated me cruel
Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain of fools
Every chain, has got a weak link
I might be weak yeah
But I'll give you strength
Oh, hey
You told me to leave you alone
My father said, "Come on home"
My doctor said, "Take it easy"
Oh but your lovin' is much too strong
I'm added to your
Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain, chain, chai-i-in
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain of fools
One of these mornings
The chain is gonna break
But up until the day
I'm gonna take all I can take, oh hey

Last edited:
Did anyone post "Positively 4th Street" yet? I've always loved the last verse. You got a lotta nerve to say you are my friend When I was down you just stood there grinning You got a lotta nerve to say you gotta helping hand to lend You just want to be on the side that's winning You say I let you down, you know it's not like that If you're so hurt, why then don't you show it? You say you lost your faith but that's not where it's at You had no faith to lose and you know it I know the reason that you talk behind my back I used to be among the crowd you're in with Do you take me for such a fool to think I'd make contact With the one who tries to hide what he don't know to begin with You see me on the street, you always act surprised You say, "How are you?, Good luck" but you don't mean it When you know as well as me, you'd rather see me paralyzed Why don't you just come out once and scream it No, I do not feel that good when I see the heartbreaks you embrace If I was a master thief perhaps I'd rob them And now I know you're dissatisfied with your position and your place Don't you understand it's not my problem I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes And just for that one moment I could be you Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes You'd know what a drag it is to see you

Love will tear us apart from Joy Division. Literally recorded, the singer then killed himself and then the single was put out.

One of the Best

Lindsay Buckingham wrote "Go Your Own Way" to Stevie Nicks as a breaking up song. Not very classy - one line stated she was shaking up with lots of guys. One person said once that it was great the way he writes a song blowing her off, and then she has to sing it every night they were on tour.

Oh come on, I can't be the only curmudgeon around here with a perverse affection for such things...

I could go on, but what are your favorite bitter nasty songs?

Korn- freak on a leash
Three Days Grace – I Hate Everything About You
Limp Bizkit – Break Stuff
Creed - unforgiven
thirty seconds to mars the kill
linkin park - crawling

i think i need to go take a hot shower now (phew)

The Horst Wessel song?

Those are some pretty good songs. One of my favorites is by Coverdale/Page, called Over Now.

Not sure about a "Hate" song but my wife thinks Aqualung by Jethro Tull is vile and disgusting.
I've always loved it!!

Not sure about a "Hate" song but my wife thinks Aqualung by Jethro Tull is vile and disgusting.
I've always loved it!!

+1 love it too.
Guess it is the "snot running down his nose" that gets her.

I've always loved it!!
Yes, one of my favorites too. In an interview Ian Anderson said he wrote that song for his wife. Apparently things between them were troubled and this was his attempt to rekindle the flames.

She was a photographer and the images he describes - sitting on a park bench, snot running down his nose - were from her photos.

Anyone remember or do a drunken sing a long..

" 100 bottles of beer on the wall....... "

Anyone remember or do a drunken sing a long..

" 100 bottles of beer on the wall....... "

Yes me. We used to sing that song on bus rides to places in summer camp. We weren't quite drinking yet, but age appropriate song for 11 year olds...:confused:

I don't know if "sockin' it to" equals hate, but I immediately thought of this song:

Marilyn Manson, Irresponsible Hate Anthem. And many more.

Insane Clown Posse, How many Times?

Mishka Shubaly has many songs of self-loathing. I don’t believe that’s the intent of the OP, but if that counts, then Am I the Only One Drinking Tonight? is probably Shubaly’s most famous ditty.

Speaking of self loathing, I recall Blue October had a few powerful songs.

"A long, long, time ago
I knew a girl
most beautiful

Yet I killed her
with the daggers
in my eyes "

--------------------------------------

Also, Bob Dylan's - " Idiot Wind "

Last edited:
Camp hate song. Most of us over a certain age may remember this one:

Back
Top Bottom