Grinding or cutting concrete

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK... have a bunch of engineers on here... I would like to get some thoughts of what I can do....

A couple of years ago they tore up the street in front of our house and repaved... they did it the full length of the road (not that long)...

I now have a standing puddle along the curb when it rains or when someone down the street waters their yard too much... it is maybe an inch or so deep at its worst...

I have not tried to measure anything, but from what it looks like I would need to take an inch to an inch and a half of concrete off near the curb for about 15 feet...

Any thoughts of how I can get this done:confused:

Thoughts:
- Will the city get mad if you take a grinder to their curb?
- Maybe call the mosquito abatement/public health department. "Since this work was done, I have standing water for days." Maybe they'll do the grinding for you.
- Would it be possible to build up a spot rather than grinding down to eliminate the puddle? Some latex adhesive mixture and then topping compound might do the trick.
- Grinding with an angle grinder and a "Turbo Cup disk" removes concrete surprisingly quickly. But where you did the grinding will be very evident, because you'll grind through the top layer and expose the aggregate in the concrete. (I happen to like the look, but the city/neighbors might not)

Thoughts:

- Maybe call the mosquito abatement/public health department. "Since this work was done, I have standing water for days." Maybe they'll do the grinding for you.

That sounds like the best option. After all they created the issue, a DIY solution may come back to haunt the person that did the work.

Least that's how it would be viewed round these parts.

If you do cut the concrete, I would just cut a small groove, with a diamond blade on a circular saw. It will be a small job. All you would need is a single 1/8" groove. Unless the lower area is lower than your 'puddle', it will not do much good.

If you are in an area that freezes in the winter, it may cause damage in the freeze thaw cycles.

Of you could fill in the low spot with additional concrete.

It might not be something that the City would want you to do.

It's hard to tell what the best option is without looking at it...

Thanks for the options so far...

I had thought about building it up, but I think all that will do is move to puddle to my neighbor..

I like the idea of a small grove (or two)... that would be better than what I was thinking of a few inches..

The water is not there long enough for mosquito control... it is hot enough here that water will evaporate in a couple of days... I just get the dry dirt that is left behind to make the next time a muddy puddle...

What I think I will need to do is see if I can determine how much I have to get rid of to fix the problem...

As for the gvmt... they will probably never know that anything was done, even if it is obvious since they would not come out here without someone asking them out...

If you do cut the concrete, I would just cut a small groove, with a diamond blade on a circular saw. It will be a small job. All you would need is a single 1/8" groove.

I have used this approach numerous times, even for a home made french drain in my basement, cuts relatively quickly, a couple of inches a minute. Make sure you cut with water for blade longevity and to minimize the dust storm.

Back
Top Bottom