Roofing Adventure

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had a couple threads a while ago asking about attic ventilation and skylights pending my roof replacement. Well it is almost over. I thought I would just be writing a simple summary, but I guess that is never the case.

First off, I decided to replace the skylights with fixed ones since I never opened the other ones in 30 years. They were size M06 and pretty much fit the existing opening, but there now is a three or four inch section up near the top where the existing cosmetic wood does not reach. So I will have to deal with that. They were up front about some cosmetic issues being likely. Satisfied so far.

I discussed the attic ventilation issues with the sales representative. The current situation is out of code. There is a gable fan and a gable vent on the other end of the house, but also a ridge vent. The house does not have soffits.

Leaving the gable fan, it was clear that the ridge vent had to be closed off. The fan requires 610 square inches of intake. The gable vent is 18x24 or 432 square inches.

They offered a "smart vent" system that mounts onto the roof decking a bit up from the edge to avoid ice dam issues.

One plan would be to put these vents along the entire length of both sides, leave the ridge vent and close off the gables.

The other plan would be to put the vents only 12 feet on each side on the end where the gable vent is. That would provide additional intake for the fan.

I was leaning towards doing the ridge vent and full length venting, but the sales rep convinced me that the other plan was less expensive and just as good. So that is what I ended up doing.

They showed up with a 7 man team and were almost finished in 6 hours including replacing the skylights and adding the smart vents. But they were short two bundles of shingles and are due to return in a few minutes to finish the job.

I was prepared to bite the bullet and pay the full amount, but they suggested that I contact Travelers who determined that I had wind damage and assessed the repair at $11,000 not including the skylights and venting. If I manage to get them to release my final $6,000 I Travelers will pay $10,000.

The roofing company agreed to do the job for what Travelers paid plus extra for the skylights and vents. Interestingly, they charged my church pastor $19,000 for a similar roof replacement on his house which is a bit smaller than mine. I did not ask them about that, but it seems funny that with no insurance involved they would charge him so much more.

So far it sounds like a happy story. . .

Well this morning in preparation for making the final payment I crawled up into the 100 degree attic to see the smart vents. No sign of the vents.

I told the guy that I would be holding payment until this was straightened out. I ended up having to crawl on my belly deep into the edge of the attic and pull back insulation to expose the vents. They were installed correctly but too low to clear the insulation.

The morning before the work I took the project manager up and pointed out that I had 9 inches of insulation on top of the floor joists. He said that instead of cutting into the decking 9 inches up they would cut 24 inches up to clear the insulation. Sounded good at the time.

Well, I think my roof pitch is one foot in four feet. If that is the case, 24 inches on the decking would be six inches off the joists. That seems to be the case. 36 inches up might have cleared it, but that is getting kind of high on the roof.

When they cut the decking to install the vents they had to have seen that there was insulation there. I guess worker bees just do what they are told.

The company gives a 50 year guarantee and the shingles are supposed to be good to 130 mph wind. But the project manager certainly did dance around taking any responsibility for the insulation blocking the vents. So I wonder what a warantee claim would be like.

They did a nice job on the rest of the work and used some upscale techniques like renailing the decking, taping the seams, ice and water shield and another barrier on the rest of the roof, nails with ridges, dedicated edge shingles etc. It looks really nice.

However, if I hadn't gone up to check the vents, I would have paid $2000 for added intake that was not taking anything in.

Hate to vent (pun) but like they say if you want something done right do it yourself.

To put salt in the wound, when I went to type this, the Xfinity Internet that I pay $150 a month for was once again on the fritz and I had to reboot the router.

Back
Top Bottom