Guest Room - Do you have one?

We have a guest bedroom, doesn't get a lot of use but there aren't any motels near by either. We only have 2 bedrooms so don't feel like it is wasted space.

I have a guest room... don't get used for any other reasons (except for the closet) and I only get guests twice or three times a year. It seems like a waste, really, but a necessity, since the guest wouldn't be able to sleep in the living room (though I have a sleeper sofa) due to my cat going crazy at night.

In my area, 4BR + 2-1/2 bath + 3-car garage is a must.

I have 5-BR + 1 study, and 3 baths, but only a 2-car garage. The small garage could be a big drawback when selling, but as I am going to die in this house, it does not matter.

PS. To sell to families with kids, an in-ground pool is also a must here.

Last edited:
In my area, 4BR + 2-1/2 bath + 3-car garage is a must.

I have 5-BR + 1 study, and 3 baths, but only a 2-car garage. The small garage could be a big drawback when selling, but as I am going to die in this house, it does not matter.

PS. To sell to families with kids, an in-ground pool is also a must here.

When I lived in Phoenix metro, we had a 3-car basement.

Now we have 1 bedroom, 1 cat room, 1 office, and a nice sofa in the Arizona room, with no curtains, but no neighbors either.

I can get a bunch of cars in the barn, but the may get soiled.

I am watching HGTV and almost all of them seem to think they need a room for guests which certainly adds lots of money to the purchase or rent price.....

If you have a guest room, does it really get used enough to justify the additional costs?

I think HGTV has influenced more decorating and home buying decisions, especially for the first-time buyers, than even Pottery Barn; and the tv station makes a lot of money from commercials for home improvement so not surprising that their shows push things like guest bedrooms and gourmet kitchens which not only need to be created but also to be filled with stuff (more ads).

We have a guest-room-to-be once our other home improvements are finished this spring; it will rarely be used. But we love visiting friends who have guest rooms bigger than two of our bedrooms put together, along with their own baths "en suite" (our guests won't get that).

We made the decision, when we moved to Florida (6mo. snowbird) to NOT have a Guest Bedroom (It became the den)...

This did two things... Avoided the "guests" that others had that stayed a week or so. Gave us place for computers, futon afternoon naps, and a second big closet for storage. Worked out perfectly... When good friends wanted to visit, we'd pay for a motel (first night)...

Now that we're older, most friends would prefer to go to a motel anyway. We do have 2 bedrooms and a large den up north.

I can't talk for people who do not cook, nor entertain. But one thing I have been thinking for many years is how to enlarge my kitchen to make it a "gourmet" one. We like to cook, and can use a BIG kitchen. Our dining room is also small. I like to have room for a dining table for 14.

I wonder how many times I have said that both of us have siblings in town, and we still talk to one another (as long as nobody brings up politics!).

Last edited:
We have a guest room and it gets used every year when family comes to visit from out of State or out of country.

We have a 3 bedroom condo and the 3rd room is multi purpose: full chest of drawers, extra clothes closet, treadmill (yes, it gets used), and a sleeper queen couch with an air mattress. When guests come I stand up the treadmill, get it out of the way and unfold the couch. Living in Florida means family and some friends visit during the winter to escape the cold, snowy North.

Ah, talk about family [-]quarreling[/-] discussion about politics, I just remembered this story told by my close friend.

Once during a family Thansgiving dinner, he was arguing against the rest of his siblings. His mother sided with his siblings, and got mad too. So she ordered "Get out of my house!". You know what my friend said?

He protested "But, but, this is MY house!". :ROFLMAO:

In the heat of the discussion, his family forgot that my friend was the host. :2funny:

Last edited:
I was curious about the answer to this question. We use Couch Surfing and Warm Showers (Warm Showers is Couch Surfing for touring bicyclists). We have met incredible people who have opened their homes to us across the country. We have also served as hosts on several occasions for those people coming to our town. For people with extra space (bedroom, sofa, floor, camp space in the backyard), it is a very generous and cost effective help for travelers. The people we have met along the way has been incredible. Not all of them would become life time friends but they all are memorable and were incredibly generous, opening up their homes, providing meals or cooking places, etc. I know for most of you this is not an option you would consider. But, for those that want to find an interesting way to meet and help people, you may want to look into either or both of these on-line hosting organizations.

We quitely have a guest bedroom but find that some of those that would like to use it are simply mooches......others, we love to have stay with us. Personally, I'd rather stay at a hotel most times when we travel. I like to set the room temp, get up when I chose, eat what I'd like without feeling guilty and leave the room dirty rather than try to clean up after myself. And, years ago I stayed at a friends home and their guest room and guest bath was filthy....by anyone's standards.

I'm lucky I can afford it! I do love to travel and visit with friends and family.

I have a guest room. It's on an upper level from the main space . It has a bathroom & a sitting area with couch & large screen T.V . My Mother& Sister have spent a lot of time in it as have my daughter & her family . It's nice that it is separate so everybody can have privacy.

We have a guest room that is also used as we call the snore room so when I or DW are being kept awake after three nudges we evacuate to the snore room for sleep. We also use this as a sick bay room .

I have two extra bedrooms, one with a full size bed and the other with a twin. My friends joke that these rooms serve mostly as my two really big walk-in closets for the overflow from the master bedroom. There is a full bath in between so my rare guests can have some privacy.

I really do need to pack up some things that I have not worn in years and donate them to a thrift store. When I retire in July 2014, this is on the list.

I could live in a one-bedroom in some really nice locale (which is not here!), and paring down to the essentials might be quite freeing emotionally.

Since I am taking pics of the apartment to share with my parents over the holidays, I thought I would share a few photos of our guest room / office here:

The "office" wall:
8244844427_7322b9a176_z.jpg

The bedroom nook:
8245911920_7c079b85d3_z.jpg

And the not-so-shaby view:
8245912244_904e740dbb_z.jpg

Guest Room - Do you have one?

Well, yes and no. I have a 'guest' room, but It's currently housing 13 RC airplanes. Either hanging from the ceiling, shelved on wall racks, or leaning against walls. #13 (9ft. wing, 7ft. fuselage) is laying across the guest bed. #s 14 and 15 (both 9 ft wings) have been relocated to hanging in the master BR. :blush:

Since I am taking pics of the apartment to share with my parents over the holidays, I thought I would share a few photos of our guest room / office here:
Very nice FIREd. Great view. :)

Air Mattresses......

We spent a week staying at my MILs home in Denver. She has 2 guest rooms and an extra bathroom but one bedroom is her office and junk room. I slept on the single daybed which was not too bad and DH and the 2 sons (25 and 28) were on 3 air mattresses. Two out of the three air mattresses went flat during the night. They were new ones. BIL and SIL stayed with another sister and one of their air mattresses also went flat. By the 2nd night SIL was sleeping on a couch and DH procured a futon pad from a nephew. One of our sons found a foldaway cot in the basement and aired it out and it was usable. My BIL was hoping someone else would say "hotel" and then he was going to agree!

It all worked out and we all enjoyed being together but "air mattress" was not our favorite topic.

As for me having the daybed, it wasn't perfect but at least it was up off the floor.

We have a 2BR condo and the 2nd bedroom will be used mainly as an office but we will also have a Murphy bed installed for guests to use when visiting.

We prefer to stay in hotels when traveling so we can do our own thing.

Very nice FIREd. Great view. :)
I wonder how much could be charged per night for that room. ;)

I assume that WIFI privilege is included, but wonder about breakfast.

we have 4br and and have a bonus room over the garage that serves as a storage/guest room. One of the 4 bedrooms is my computer room/home office. It is a lot more space than we need but keeping the house is less expensive than selling and buying something smaller.

Breakfast is included too.:)
As our guests are usually relatives, we serve all meals. :p This, we do not mind as it does not happen often.

... more space than we need but keeping the house is less expensive than selling and buying something smaller.
Same situation here.

When we visit our daughter's 1,100-sq.ft. town home, we thought we would fit in a smaller house like that. We would save a little bit of money, but the hassle of selling/buying/moving would be too much. I'll just die here.

What we are looking to do is to tear out the carpet, put down wood floor, and turn the spare bedrooms into something more functional. I need to clean up and reorganize the [-]junk[/-] treasure I store there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom