Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I had one for years. In the 21 years I've lived in this house, I think I had overnight guest(s) use that room for 7 or 8 days total.

A few years ago my SO convinced me to ditch the unused guest room and make it a sewing/crafts room for myself. So we did. We now have a queen-size portable, inflatable bed that packs up like a small piece of luggage on wheels, in the rare case that we have an overnight guest. Even that has only been used once.

The truth is, I find I don't use the room much even now that it's been converted. Clearly we could just do away with the entire room.
Offer it to Dawg for his overflow.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #22

We have 2 guest rooms, one with 2 twin beds and the other with a queen. DS lived in one all summer during his internship and we had other guests, so both were used then. We have occasional guests other than the kids (2-3 times/year for 1-3 days). As DS already has a job lined up for after graduation in May (yippee!) and DD is also employed, I hope we are past the point where "boomerang" is likely. So next summer once DS is settled into an apartment, I will probably get rid of the twin beds and convert one of the two rooms to a study/scrapbooking area. We'll buy some air mattresses for when both kids are home at Christmas or when guests with kids visit.

As I'm thinking about this, I realize that the queen bed should probably go into the room that currently has the twins as it's the nicer room. So I should plan to get DS to help take apart the bed frame and move it when he is home after graduation.

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I do not know why a spare bedroom cannot be both a sewing room and a guest room. Do the guests mind sharing a room with a sewing machine?

I use day beds or folding futon sofa beds in a couple of the rooms. Do not want to make it too comfy for the guests to stay too long, you know?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #24

Like MB, I have 2 guest rooms, same configuration. When we built the house for the two of us, I knew we'd not have full occupancy, but I imagine it is tough selling a custom home in any real estate climate that only has one bedroom!

But we've hosted plenty of guests, plenty of times. We like having the extra room for friends to stay over, and when we have parties and such, though for those lots of folks prefer to tent camp in the yard.

I do want to build a little guest cottage out back, just so we could try to find a permanent tenant to stay here when we travel. I just think that would be easier to find than someone to move into the house when we are gone.

I fight very hard to keep clutter from overtaking both of these rooms, and mostly win, but right now there are 20 shelves' worth of books in one while we do some work to the living room, and a great big pile of laundry (though not as big as Dawg's) in the other!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

When we bought our current house, we believed a three bedroom, two bathroom house was a must. The reason being, our town (85,000 population) consists mostly of young families with children. It would be difficult to sell a one or even two bedroom house.

It's not too much space for us. We do have one bedroom as a guest bedroom...mainly because we bought new bedroom furniture a few years ago and wanted to keep the old suite. We also bought a new mattress and put the old one in the guest bedroom.

Seldom do we have guests, but it's nice to have just in case. ...and there are times when another bed is needed when one of us is not sleeping well. DH or I can go to that bedroom so the other can get undisturbed sleep.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a guest bedroom, doesn't get a lot of use but there aren't any motels near by either. We only have 2 bedrooms so don't feel like it is wasted space.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a guest room... don't get used for any other reasons (except for the closet) and I only get guests twice or three times a year. It seems like a waste, really, but a necessity, since the guest wouldn't be able to sleep in the living room (though I have a sleeper sofa) due to my cat going crazy at night.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

In my area, 4BR + 2-1/2 bath + 3-car garage is a must.

I have 5-BR + 1 study, and 3 baths, but only a 2-car garage. The small garage could be a big drawback when selling, but as I am going to die in this house, it does not matter.

PS. To sell to families with kids, an in-ground pool is also a must here.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In my area, 4BR + 2-1/2 bath + 3-car garage is a must.

I have 5-BR + 1 study, and 3 baths, but only a 2-car garage. The small garage could be a big drawback when selling, but as I am going to die in this house, it does not matter.

PS. To sell to families with kids, an in-ground pool is also a must here.
When I lived in Phoenix metro, we had a 3-car basement.

Now we have 1 bedroom, 1 cat room, 1 office, and a nice sofa in the Arizona room, with no curtains, but no neighbors either.

I can get a bunch of cars in the barn, but the may get soiled.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I am watching HGTV and almost all of them seem to think they need a room for guests which certainly adds lots of money to the purchase or rent price.....

If you have a guest room, does it really get used enough to justify the additional costs?
I think HGTV has influenced more decorating and home buying decisions, especially for the first-time buyers, than even Pottery Barn; and the tv station makes a lot of money from commercials for home improvement so not surprising that their shows push things like guest bedrooms and gourmet kitchens which not only need to be created but also to be filled with stuff (more ads).

We have a guest-room-to-be once our other home improvements are finished this spring; it will rarely be used. But we love visiting friends who have guest rooms bigger than two of our bedrooms put together, along with their own baths "en suite" (our guests won't get that).
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #31

We made the decision, when we moved to Florida (6mo. snowbird) to NOT have a Guest Bedroom (It became the den)...

This did two things... Avoided the "guests" that others had that stayed a week or so. Gave us place for computers, futon afternoon naps, and a second big closet for storage. Worked out perfectly... When good friends wanted to visit, we'd pay for a motel (first night)...

Now that we're older, most friends would prefer to go to a motel anyway. We do have 2 bedrooms and a large den up north.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I can't talk for people who do not cook, nor entertain. But one thing I have been thinking for many years is how to enlarge my kitchen to make it a "gourmet" one. We like to cook, and can use a BIG kitchen. Our dining room is also small. I like to have room for a dining table for 14.

I wonder how many times I have said that both of us have siblings in town, and we still talk to one another (as long as nobody brings up politics!).
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #33

We have a guest room and it gets used every year when family comes to visit from out of State or out of country.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a 3 bedroom condo and the 3rd room is multi purpose: full chest of drawers, extra clothes closet, treadmill (yes, it gets used), and a sleeper queen couch with an air mattress. When guests come I stand up the treadmill, get it out of the way and unfold the couch. Living in Florida means family and some friends visit during the winter to escape the cold, snowy North.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Ah, talk about family quarreling discussion about politics, I just remembered this story told by my close friend.

Once during a family Thansgiving dinner, he was arguing against the rest of his siblings. His mother sided with his siblings, and got mad too. So she ordered "Get out of my house!". You know what my friend said?

He protested "But, but, this is MY house!".

In the heat of the discussion, his family forgot that my friend was the host.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #36

I was curious about the answer to this question. We use Couch Surfing and Warm Showers (Warm Showers is Couch Surfing for touring bicyclists). We have met incredible people who have opened their homes to us across the country. We have also served as hosts on several occasions for those people coming to our town. For people with extra space (bedroom, sofa, floor, camp space in the backyard), it is a very generous and cost effective help for travelers. The people we have met along the way has been incredible. Not all of them would become life time friends but they all are memorable and were incredibly generous, opening up their homes, providing meals or cooking places, etc. I know for most of you this is not an option you would consider. But, for those that want to find an interesting way to meet and help people, you may want to look into either or both of these on-line hosting organizations.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #37

We quitely have a guest bedroom but find that some of those that would like to use it are simply mooches......others, we love to have stay with us. Personally, I'd rather stay at a hotel most times when we travel. I like to set the room temp, get up when I chose, eat what I'd like without feeling guilty and leave the room dirty rather than try to clean up after myself. And, years ago I stayed at a friends home and their guest room and guest bath was filthy....by anyone's standards.

I'm lucky I can afford it! I do love to travel and visit with friends and family.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I have a guest room. It's on an upper level from the main space . It has a bathroom & a sitting area with couch & large screen T.V . My Mother& Sister have spent a lot of time in it as have my daughter & her family . It's nice that it is separate so everybody can have privacy.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a guest room that is also used as we call the snore room so when I or DW are being kept awake after three nudges we evacuate to the snore room for sleep. We also use this as a sick bay room .
Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #40

Our guest room is the Airstream Trailer:-)