Guest Room - Do you have one?

We have a 4-bedroom house but it's just my wife & I so three bedrooms go pretty much unused. One of them I use for product photography but it's flexible enough to be quickly turned into a guest room. However, I am tired of storing a bed in another room just for the once-a-year (at most) visitor. I'll be discarding the spare bed this month so anyone coming to visit will need a hotel or be happy with the floor. One of our other bedrooms (the smallest) is used just for our cats' litter boxes, so that room is unsuitable for anyone (the floor will definitely need to be replaced before we ever sell the house). The 4th bedroom is used for storage and I am slowly whittling away at the pile, trying to sell or throw away stuff.

Well, with apologies to Antmary, our guest room view is...of the Airstream, which also doubles as guest space when needed!

I love the views posted thus far, though, which are far nicer than ours. And I'm a big fan of maps, old and new. We have a huge Natl Geo in the living room, from 1984 I think, and three atlases and two globes. Whenever we travel, we like to frame the map we used to get around as a nifty souvenir.

I have this vintage map of Long island original from 1933. My Mom gave it to me as I was the only LI, Levittown baby. Mom decided to refinish the frame that was wormwood, so she asked my older brother to take it out back and blast it with some shotgun birdshot. I see one on Ebay $720:facepalm:

smithfosterli33.jpg

I've spent enough time in cube farms that I never want a piece of Herman Miller anything in my home...
I understand the sentiment but can't imagine any other way to spend more than a few minutes sitting at the desk.

You're not married, I can tell. This is a former avid R/C airplane enthusiast. All of my airplanes were banished to either the shop or an unused basement room in the former house.
They don't belong to me, Walt. I was never any good at RC flying. Most are retired Glow engine planes from the 1990s. 40 and 60 size. The 3 large ones are retired AIAA competition planes (electric). One is pictured in my album if you're interested.
The new generation of planes and various other odd flying machines are now residing in California, thank goodness. :nonono:

Our new (to us! built in 189x) house has a guest room. One of the greatest things about it is that it came with a Murphy Bed. It's great, and our guests love it!

I've spent enough time in cube farms that I never want a piece of Herman Miller anything in my home...

DW spent a lot of time in cube farms too and she hates that Herman Miller chair - the only office chair approved by the ergonomics consultant hired by her company. I, on the other hand, spent most of my working years either standing or being perched on an unpadded lab stool. So this chair is like heaven for me. But DW was dejected when I ordered it.

Here's mine. I took the photo this morning. Over to you, Obgyn!

:cool:

Spectacular!! Wow.

Mine is not very scenic, but it is a view that I enjoy seeing because it is from my home. Here it is (photo taken less than 5 minutes ago from my front door):

Attachments

• MyView.jpg
    MyView.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 9
Sure, I have a guest room, and I typically get several friends or relatives visiting each year. I've had 4 guests this year, and was glad to have them. I like to cook, so maybe that's one reason friends like to visit! I, in turn, have stayed with most of the friends and relatives who have stayed with me.

here you are. Picture taken at night. I am next to the Sears / Willis Tower, very high up in the clouds.

Attachments

• photo[1] - Copy.JPG
    photo[1] - Copy.JPG
    520.3 KB · Views: 18
here you are. Picture taken at night. I am next to the Sears / Willis Tower, very high up in the clouds.

Thanks obgyn, we appreciate your willingness to share this about yourself. This is indeed a fabulous view of an iconic building (which I have been to the top of*) and it establishes you as a cool urban guy. :cool:

And your building is definitely longer than my building!

One question: do you have blackout curtains? It must never get dark in your neighborhood!

I don't need curtains, as you can see!

*a preposition is a bad word to end a sentence with. Maybe I should say "the top of which I have been to"....umm, no!.... or "whose top I have visited".....but they all sound awkward!

Last edited:
Spectacular!! Wow.

Mine is not very scenic, but it is a view that I enjoy seeing because it is from my home. Here it is (photo taken less than 5 minutes ago from my front door):

I love the archway, W2R! I'm guessing your area was developed in the 60s?

I love the archway, W2R! I'm guessing your area was developed in the 60s?

Very good guess! The houses on my block were built in 1972. And thanks. :D

Obgyn65, what a breath-taking view! Thank you for posting the photo, and sharing it with us. :)

obgyn65 said:

Great view!

I would have a tough time getting to sleep If I had that view.

Last edited:

Love this! I visited the Sears Tower ages ago as a tourist. I'll never forget that view. Chicago is a great city.

The view from my guest room is my avatar !

Palm trees. *sigh* Our oak trees have finally lost their leaves for winter. Bare trees, grey skies.

Spectacular!! Wow.

Nice W2R!

The view from my guest room is my avatar !

Wow, Moe, right on the water! That could be fabulous most of the time, unless there is a hurricane!

Back
Top Bottom