Gustav

Well like I said in my post, we have them in New Orleans too (for example, several today!!!) so I am not sure I get your point. I had a BIG one jump over me in Mississippi, as well, heavily damaging homes on both sides. It's not like the South is "The Land Of No Tornados" or something. :) Now to me, Missouri would be "The Land of No Hurricanes"! :D

I do remember that Missouri seemed to have a lot of tornados when I lived there. But really, all we ever did was go to the basement.

Ok have a nice day :) Was just making conversation.

Want2retire

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

When I see all those cars sitting on the interstate it really makes me glad I'm not going through that.

The media to me at least seems like they are almost rooting for the hurricane!

Jim

Amazing that Gustav would follow us this far north!

Andrew kicked our butts all the way up in Massachusetts. Knocked our power out for 2 days, cracked one of our windows, flooded the garage and the water got so deep in the street that it forced one of the rubber floor plugs out of my mercedes and I had a couple of gallons of water in the footwell in the back.

Andrew kicked our butts all the way up in Massachusetts. Knocked our power out for 2 days, cracked one of our windows, flooded the garage and the water got so deep in the street that it forced one of the rubber floor plugs out of my mercedes and I had a couple of gallons of water in the footwell in the back.

We have just a persistent light rain here in Springfield, Missouri. This, I can handle. :D

Although there wasn't much damage to my workplace, we found out we are definitely on administrative leave for the rest of the week due to no electricity or toilet/sewage capabilities at work. The same is true for Frank. So, we are in no hurry to return.

I guess we will have to head home on Saturday, if it looks like power has been mostly restored to the area. Right now, there is still no power at my house or my work. No lights, no toilet, no clean clothes, no showers.... Ewww!! This city girl refuses to live that way.
Sewers in Jefferson Parish Overwhelmed
by Michelle Hunter, The Times-Picayune Wednesday September 03, 2008, 10:21 AM

Jefferson Parish officials report that all sewerage lift stations on the West Bank are not working and 70 percent of the stations on the East Bank are inoperable.

Entergy has not restored power to most of Jefferson Parish's 505 sewerage lift stations which move wastewater from homes and businesses and to the wastewater treatment plants.

In addition, the heavy rains yesterday infiltrated the sewer system in many locations, so underground wastewater pipes are full and the wastewater is not moving.

Residents are cautioned not to flush toilets, wash clothes or dishes, take showers, or allow any water to go down the drains in their homes or businesses. If the system becomes overwhelmed, sewerage wastewater may back up and overflow into homes and businesses.
Sewers in Jefferson Parish Overwhelmed - Hurricane Gustav News and Storm Tracking - NOLA.com

Last edited:
Gina - no (Bush)
Bubba yes (Slidell)
Randy - no (Baton rouge) He thinks it's worst than New Orleans.
Will - no (Chalmette)

So mainly those friends/relatives she's checked since this morning - mainly Slidell in those parts she knows people have power.

heh heh heh - :cool:. Old Mayor Ray rethought the roadblock idea. Got to look pretty for a wedding in Diamondhead at the end of the month - hope Ike goes somewhere other than the Gulf.

UncleMick, I think your friend Randy is right about it being worse in BR. They were much closer to the storm and got hit hard!

I am pretty sure it's a public health hazard to have two million evacuees coming back to this sort of conditions. Odd that we aren't hearing public health officials weighing in.

The Red Cross stationed my husband in BR to ride out the storm. He agrees it is pretty bad there will all the downed trees and power lines. The buildings didn't take too hard of a hit but the word is that it is going to be weeks before all the power is back on. He's not real thrilled with the FEMA response in BR as they just arrived today from TX where they were staged to either go to the east or to the west.

At least he's happy now because there is something to do but he didn't appreciate sitting in stopped traffic for an hour and a half watching the 5 helicopters circling while the President finished his visit and got the heck out of there.

Just curious W2R - I know you have a federal position. Are they granting folks admin leave or are you using your own annual leave?

Just curious W2R - I know you have a federal position. Are they granting folks admin leave or are you using your own annual leave?

Purron, I have no idea and to tell the truth, the thought hadn't really crossed my mind. I have been assured that we are getting paid, and we are not permitted entry to our workplace, so perhaps the former. We also have a liberal leave policy implemented. I told my supervisor that if necessary I would take advantage of the liberal leave policy and use annual leave, but I am not going to live in conditions that primitive.

Gilligan's Island... "A three hour tour..." :2funny: That was cute, Rustward!

Assuming that good progress is made in restoring the electricity in my community (quite an assumption, I know), we tentatively plan to return on Saturday.

Last edited:
Maybe W2R can make a computer with some coconuts and sea shells.

Yeah, dude could make a radio out of palm fronds and coconut shells, but couldnt patch a 2' hole in a boat.

I think he was just hanging around and waiting for Maryanne and Ginger to come around to the nerd way...

DH calls and says "Guess where I am?" He was in a line of trucks deliverying food and water to Angola prison. He said the guys were very helpful unloading the trucks quickly but I guess they had a vested interest...something to eat and drink!

Back
Top Bottom