Gustav

glad to hear so far you all survived in good shape. now to see where hanna goes (good luck sarah) and then were ike goes (good luck me). i'm getting real tired of this real fast. just a few more weeks till we come off peak season. looking foward to a boring post-hurricane season.

Yeah, and check out the NHC website - - there are 3 more areas of concern in the Atlantic right now, too (other than Gustav, Hanna, and [-]Ivan[/-]) Ike, even if they aren't named storms as yet. Looks like a rugged September coming up.

Last edited:
Nags Head, NC vacation this 14th thru the 21st.

heh heh heh heh heh heh

May have to whip up a gris gris bag for good luck.

heh heh heh - ;).

Darn, W2R, you scared me with that Ivan--I'm like hey, we've already had that storm. I now see the new one is Ike. Great--that is just what Lazy and the rest of the Floridians need-an Ike Turner storm! :)
Hanna sounds like a nice polite sort of girl, not one to come by here and whup up on us or anything so unseemly.

Darn, W2R, you scared me with that Ivan--I'm like hey, we've already had that storm. I now see the new one is Ike. Great--that is just what Lazy and the rest of the Floridians need-an Ike Turner storm! :)
Hanna sounds like a nice polite sort of girl, not one to come by here and whup up on us or anything so unseemly.

Oops!! LOL Sorry 'bout that.

More news about conditions in my community - -

According to WWL radio:

All roads into Jefferson and Orleans Parishes are blocked by State Police, to prevent evacuees from returning prematurely. Blackhawk helicopters are sweeping the area looking for anyone in trouble who needs to be rescued.

Trees, power poles, power lines, transformers, traffic signals, fences, billboards, and signs are down in my town. Streets are blocked with all this mess. So, obviously it would be dangerous for the Parish to allow people to return and try to navigate through everything at night. Also for public health reasons we need electricity to work the pumps at our sewage lift stations before everyone returns.

Few homes were damaged in my community. A few missing shingles from some homes but that's about it. :D:D:D

Our Parish President says Grand Isle got 10 feet of storm surge and Lafitte is sandbagging now to keep out additional surge. These communities are located to the south of my community closer to the Gulf and outside of the levee protection system, and were seriously damaged. My suburb had no reported flooding outside of low lying areas, no tornados, and only two fires. Hurricane protection pumps in my community continued working.

Our Parish President also just announced that in 24 hours he will announce a re-entry schedule. Sounds like we won't be able to return for a while. But since I know my house is fine, I am perfectly happy up here anyway. :)

Good news, W2R, but I am sorry for the folks in Grand Isle and Lafitte. I remember trying to make out the roof of our house from the aerial footage taken by helicopter of our island after Hugo hit Charleston nearly 20 years ago. Once you know your house is okay; you can rest a lot easier.
Now enjoy the unexpected break from the office! :)

We went to Springfield, Missouri - - our tentative ER location. So, we have been exploring the area to pass the time. ;)

At least you know your home will be there when you get the green light to return. I am so relieved New Orleans was spared. I was terrified of seeing a repeat of the death and destruction of three years ago. Also, I'm afraid if Gustav had been another Katrina, it would have been the end of this unique city.

Enjoy your time exploring Springfield and have a safe trip home.:)

Im curious. Is everyone ok from that area? Have you returned? Let us know :)

DH is with the Red Cross in Baton Rouge. He said there are tons of trees and power poles down and it is expected to take a couple of weeks to get power back to everyone. They are getting ready to be deployed to New Orleans. He hasn't mentioned anything about conditions there.

The mayor asked everyone to stay away for a couple of days while they clean up a bit and change the drapes.

DH is with the Red Cross in Baton Rouge. He said there are tons of trees and power poles down and it is expected to take a couple of weeks to get power back to everyone. They are getting ready to be deployed to New Orleans. He hasn't mentioned anything about conditions there.

New Orleans didn't get hit nearly as hard as BR, from what I understand. The Red Cross doesn't like to send volunteers into hazardous situations as they explained to us during the first months immediately after Katrina. Makes sense to me!

Glad to see nasty old Gustav didn't hurt any of my ER friends. I'd offer to help clean up, but I'm retired :).

I know NOLA has lots of charm but I'd sure hate to have to deal with a hurricane every few years when I really get old. Missouri sounds much less exciting.

Glad to see nasty old Gustav didn't hurt any of my ER friends. I'd offer to help clean up, but I'm retired :).

I know NOLA has lots of charm but I'd sure hate to have to deal with a hurricane every few years when I really get old. Missouri sounds much less exciting.

You just roll the dice with tornado's more often.

Glad you're okay, W2R--maybe you'll find a charming little cottage on your unexpected visit to Springfield!

Glad you're okay, W2R--maybe you'll find a charming little cottage on your unexpected visit to Springfield!
Thank you! Yes, we found several - - though we are trying to wait until after we move here, before we buy. Seems like more great deals show up every time we check the real estate websites. :)

You just roll the dice with tornado's more often.
Interesting that you bring that up - - we happen to have had several tornados in New Orleans today, as they are commonly associated with tropical storms and hurricanes. One went within a mile of my home, I think?. Don't know for sure. Somehow in our area they never seem to manage to destroy hundreds of thousands of homes and the infrastructure for an entire city, all in one afternoon. :rolleyes: Maybe I will get a home with a basement in Missouri, though! :)

What about Alan? I think he lives in Baton Rouge, which I heard had some strong winds from Gustav.

Thanks, though!

Thank you! Yes, we found several - - though we are trying to wait until after we move here, before we buy. Seems like more great deals show up every time we check the real estate websites. :)

Interesting that you bring that up - - we happen to have had several tornados in New Orleans today, as they are commonly associated with tropical storms and hurricanes. One went within a mile of my home, I think?. Don't know for sure. Somehow in our area they never seem to manage to destroy hundreds of thousands of homes and the infrastructure for an entire city, all in one afternoon. :rolleyes: Maybe I will get a home with a basement in Missouri, though! :)

Ive had to take shelter a few times growing up in the Midwest due to tornado's. It wasn't bad. At least with tornado's you do not have to evacuate. However sometimes you can have very little warning. Just one of those things you deal with.

We went to Springfield, Missouri - - our tentative ER location......
I was just checking the radar before I hit the pillows, and it looks like some of the remnants of Gustav are visiting you there in your tentative ER location. Mostly just rain with a just little bit of wind for good measure. Ya can run, but ya can't hide. :D
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO
948 PM CDT TUE SEP 2 2008

SHOWERS WITH HEAVY RAINFALL WILL AFFECT LOCATIONS FROM BRANSON TO
NEOSHO THROUGH 12 AM. RAINFALL RATES WILL AVERAGE ONE QUARTER TO
ONE HALF INCH PER HOUR. A FEW OF THE STORMS MAY ALSO PRODUCE WIND
GUSTS TO 35 MPH. SURROUNDING THIS BAND OF HEAVY RAINFALL WILL BE
PERSISTENT LIGHT RAIN...

P.S.--> Hope you're enjoying your [-]ER practice session[/-] visit to Springfield! There's some really nice places around there. We used to spend some time over in Thayer (in the hills about 130 miles SE from Springfield) every summer....I had 2 sets of great-uncles/aunts that lived in Thayer, and my Dad spent several years of his youth about 20 miles away in Billmore. We usually hit the Springfield & Branson areas once or twice a year.....not this year though, too many other trips planned.

goonie

I was just checking the radar before I hit the pillows, and it looks like some of the remnants of Gustav are visiting you there in your tentative ER location. Mostly just rain with a just little bit of wind for good measure. Ya can run, but ya can't hide. :D

It was a little drizzly today, and I took my umbrella. Amazing that Gustav would follow us this far north! :2funny: No big deal, though. It is kind of fun to see Springfield in the rain. We have seen it in the snow, and with ice, but not on a rainy day up to now.

P.S.--> Hope you're enjoying your [-]ER practice session[/-] visit to Springfield! There's some really nice places around there. We used to spend some time over in Thayer (in the hills about 130 miles SE from Springfield) every summer....I had 2 sets of great-uncles/aunts that lived in Thayer, and my Dad spent several years of his youth about 20 miles away in Billmore. We usually hit the Springfield & Branson areas once or twice a year.....not this year though, too many other trips planned.

goonie

Thanks, we are having a very nice time indeed. Today we explored Republic, a little town about 6-8 miles west of Springfield. That was fun and interesting, though we decided that we both prefer living in Springfield itself. We also spent some time cruising around neighborhoods in Springfield, getting a slow leak in a tire fixed, shopping, napping, going to Outback. Finally we did our laundry while listening to New Orleans radio informational broadcasts via streaming internet.

We drove through or past Thayer on our way here from Jonesboro. That's a really nice part of the state, as well. :)

Ive had to take shelter a few times growing up in the Midwest due to tornado's. It wasn't bad. At least with tornado's you do not have to evacuate. However sometimes you can have very little warning. Just one of those things you deal with.

Well like I said in my post, we have them in New Orleans too (for example, several today!!!) so I am not sure I get your point. I had a BIG one jump over me in Mississippi, as well, heavily damaging homes on both sides. It's not like the South is "The Land Of No Tornados" or something. :) Now to me, Missouri would be "The Land of No Hurricanes"! :D

I do remember that Missouri seemed to have a lot of tornados when I lived there. But really, all we ever did was go to the basement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom