Hack? One zoned to two zoned A/C

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 2 story house has a single zoned A/C (and heat). It is not a problem now with four people living in it (2 parents, 2 kids). My kids are leaving for college this September. Most of the time, my wife and I will be downstair during the day, and upstair for sleeping at night.

What is the CHEAPEST (material and labor) way to hack the system so we can cool/heat only the needed portion of the house? Has anyone attempted this? Thanks.

Probably replacing your existing registers with ones that can be remotely/electronically opened and closed. They run the wiring right up inside or along the duct work and I'd be shocked to discover that someone hasnt come up with a wireless option.

Or you could buy a 6' piece of 1/2" dowel and knock them open and closed manually for free.

In addition to selectively opening and closing the vents, you could also add a thermostat so that you have one on each floor.

You could run a switch so that one OR the other is in the circuit. I've been meaning to do this in our house, but I'm just too busy now that I'm retired ;).

All the bedrooms are upstairs. The biggest problem for us is when we need the A/C on for humidity, but when it is not all that hot outside. The A/C stays off for a long time, and the heat rises upstairs. I think a thermostat upstairs would help. Sometimes I've left the fan on ON, and that helps, but I'm really running the fan more than I need.

-ERD50

Thanks guys.

Do you know where I can find vents/registers that can be remotely (not necessarily wireless) opened and closed?

As far as the thermostat is concerned, I'm thinking of using only one, but have it installed in the smallest room of the house and keep that room cooled or heated all the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom