Half Of Oldest Boomers Retired

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I happen to be a pre-boomer (must be a name? 1944) but I am forever linked with Boomers. Who collects these kinds of stats? 50% down (ER folks) & 50% still toiling. Last sentence of the quote sets up another LTCi battle...LTCi is a waste of $!

Of those who are fully retired, 38 percent said they were ready to retire (they wanted to be through with work), 17 percent said they retired for health reasons and 10 percent said they lost their jobs. The rest retired for other reasons -- simply because they could afford to or because they wanted to join a retired spouse.

The first wave of boomers are eligible for full retirement benefits from Social Security at age 66 and 86 percent of those born in 1946 are collecting, although 43 percent say they began collecting earlier than planned.

As with all older age groups, long-term care has become a concern and 31 percent of the respondents were concerned about providing long-term care for themselves or their spouse. At the same time, less than 25 percent have long-term care insurance.
Half Of Oldest Boomers Retired

86 percent of those born in 1946 are collecting

That is about what I would expect. After all, they are turning 67 this year.

I was born in 1948, and I fully retired as soon as I could. I guess that means I am among the 38% who were ready to retire (boy, was I ready! With the username Want2Retire, I could hardly wait.).

I also do not have LTC insurance and my LTC planning is not great, somewhere between self insuring and/or winging it.

More than 40 percent of the oldest boomers are optimistic about the future and nearly one-quarter are optimistic about their health, but only 20 percent feel good about their personal finances, says MetLife.
Conversely, that would mean that more than 75% are NOT optimistic about their health, and 80% do not feel good about their personal finances. That's pretty grim IMO.

Last edited:
Both halves of this boomer have retired.

By the way an accidental boomer. I was born more than 5000 miles away on a different continet. My parents had nothing to do with the US boomer generation.

You sir are a member of The Greatest Generation, that is who preceded the Baby Boomers.

The 1st half of the BBG would be born from 1946 through 1955. I'm in that group.

Isn't the group just before boomers the 'silent generation'? also known as the Korean war generation? The group that was first dominated by the WW2 folks and them overwhelmed out by the boomers? The over 67 group that is just now visible as the WW2 generation dies off?

Silent Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The label "Silent Generation" was first coined in the November 5, 1951, cover story of Time to refer to the generation coming of age at the time, born during the Great Depression and World War II, including the bulk of those who fought during the Korean War."

I'm a boomer (1946).

I'm just very recently beginning to get more comfortable with things like senior discounts.

I still flinch inwardly when I'm called "Sir" but I know they mean no harm.

Retired at 55 (a dozen years ago), and plan to take SS at 70.

Of my friends from back in my youth, I still keep in touch with 8 or 9 of them, and only one other is retired. In most cases, I think it's because they honestly enjoy what they do.

I was 38 the first time I got "Ma'amed". I was a little taken aback, but this was in Texas, and in parts of the South well brought up kids do a lot of Sir'ing and Ma'am'ing. It's just a cultural thing down here.

I was born in 1956. I used to think I was born at the tail end of the boomer years but it looks like I was in the thick of it.

File:US Birth Rates.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based upon my life observations, the Boomer group breaks into several sub-groups. You and I (1953) are in the second wave of boomers. It just seemed like the tail end, because of the way the first wave acted, and were treated by the media, as if they were the one and only boomer group. Draftees, war protesters, and hippies; that was mostly the first wave of boomers. Getting to the jobs first, before the larger group of the rest of us, that was the first wave of boomers. Clinton and Gingrich: first wave boomers. I could go on and on and on, but Boomers are not all one homogeneous group.

Based upon my life observations, the Boomer group breaks into several sub-groups. You and I (1953) are in the second wave of boomers. It just seemed like the tail end, because of the way the first wave acted, and were treated by the media, as if they were the one and only boomer group. Draftees, war protesters, and hippies; that was mostly the first wave of boomers. Getting to the jobs first, before the larger group of the rest of us, that was the first wave of boomers. Clinton and Gingrich: first wave boomers. I could go on and on and on, but Boomers are not all one homogeneous group.

Totally true. It felt like I missed the 60's and Vietnam and that Boomers were taking all the jobs and would use up Social Security. It seemed like everyone was ahead of me. But look at me now . . . I'm ER'd with the rest of them.

I thought the same until I read that Michael Jordan is a boomer! True, they've expanded the boom to cover a LOT of people!
Michael and I are just a matter of days apart. But I've come to call myself early Generation X. There is no agreement at all among demographers as to when the boom ended and Gen X started. It floats between 61 and 65.

We're kind of like the silent generation sandwiched in there, except everything opposite in experience. We were born in relative prosperity and optimism (JFK). Riots and war were our childhood, but not our reality at age 18. Meanwhile, boomers had drafting and Nam to worry about. The silents had that horrible war called a police action.

One of my siblings is 7 years older. She's clearly got a boom mentality. MTV had no major place for her. Too old. Meanwhile, me and my friends used to watch MTV for HOURS and HOURS. I'm not kidding. I think I lost part of my life in 1983 to MTV. The Gen X behind me was similar. Gen Y to me is when MTV turned into the Real World and reality.

One more thing about those generations... Like me and my sister, my dad and uncle are about 8 years apart. They too had different realities. Dad got a purple heart in '44. My uncle was drafted, but just missed Korea (a little young). Dad hates Elvis. Elvis was everything to my uncle.

Finally, I'm starting to hear some of my ilk talk retirement. In the minds of my younger Gen X friends, that clearly makes me a Boomer. :)

Totally true. It felt like I missed the 60's and Vietnam and that Boomers were taking all the jobs and would use up Social Security. It seemed like everyone was ahead of me. But look at me now. I'm ER'd with the rest of them.

Congrats on the ER. I think you beat a whole bunch of them, as many of them were still 'go go-go-go', 'all-in', 'everything always works out for me', when the great recession hit. Even though I'm still working, it's a place where I'm one of the oldest employees, with nary a 1st wave boomer in site :). I really like working with generation X.

One consolation, musically at least, the oldest boomers (Peter Paul and Mary crowd) generally hated the 70's groups like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Stepenwolf etc. That's when I first started realizing the difference in sub groups of boomers.

By the way an accidental boomer. I was born more than 5000 miles away on a different continent. My parents had nothing to do with the US boomer generation.

What continent was not involved in World War II? Antarctica?

One consolation, musically at least, the oldest boomers (Peter Paul and Mary crowd) generally hated the 70's groups like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Stepenwolf etc. That's when I first started realizing the difference in sub groups of boomers.
To me, this really helps define the groups.

Greatest Generation: (Big Band) Dorsey Brothers, Andrews Sisters, Bing Crosby, Ela Fitzgerald
Silents: (Early R&R) Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Elvis, Kingston Trio, Louis Jordan
First half Boom: (British Invasion)PPM, Beatles, Beach Boys, James Brown
Second half Boom: (Heavy & Progressive, Disco) Neil Diamond, James Taylor, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Led Zeppelin, Sly Stalone, KC Sunshine, Bee Gees
Late Boom/Early X: (New Wave) Blondie, Police, Clash, Funkadelic, Grandmaster Flash & F5
Gen X: (Grunge, Rap, Hair Bands): Debbie Gibson, Madonna, Beastie Boys, Michael Jackson, Run DMC, Bon Jovi, Nirvana
GenY/Millenial: (Indie, Alternative) Dave Matthews Band, No Doubt, Eminem, Mary J. Blige

The next generation is now emerging. Maybe they'll be the Lady Gaga generation.

I'm a boomer (1946).

I'm just very recently beginning to get more comfortable with things like senior discounts.

Retired at 55 (a dozen years ago), and plan to take SS at 70.

Of my friends from back in my youth, I still keep in touch with 8 or 9 of them, and only one other is retired. In most cases, I think it's because they honestly enjoy what they do.

You might learn to appreciate "Sir" if you were being called "Old G". This past week my GF was working out of office with an older man, and he was approached by a teenager who was wanting some money and was addressed as "Old G". My GF said he didnt appreciate it, and didn't give him any money. She asked her co-worker what the term meant, and he replied "Old Guy". BTW- The man was only 53, but to a teenager that is old. If the punk knew how to use the term "sir" he might have got a few bucks. :)

Greatest Generation: (Big Band) Dorsey Brothers, Andrews Sisters, Bing Crosby, Ela Fitzgerald
Silents: (Early R&R) Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Elvis, Kingston Trio, Louis Jordan
Second half Boom: (Heavy & Progressive, Disco) Neil Diamond, James Taylor, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Led Zeppelin, Sly Stalone, KC Sunshine, Bee Gees
Late Boom/Early X: (New Wave) Blondie, Police, Clash, Funkadelic, Grandmaster Flash & F5
Gen X: (Grunge, Rap, Hair Bands): Debbie Gibson, Madonna, Beastie Boys, Michael Jackson, Run DMC, Bon Jovi, Nirvana
GenY/Millenial: (Indie, Alternative) Dave Matthews Band, No Doubt, Eminem, Mary J. Blige

Using your list I relate to:

(elementary school) First half Boom: Beatles, Beach Boys
(high school) Second half Boom: (Heavy & Progressive, Disco) Neil Diamond, James Taylor, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Led Zeppelin, Sly Stalone, KC Sunshine, Bee Gees
(college) Late Boom/Early X: (New Wave) Blondie, Police, Clash[/COLOR]

I wonder where that puts me. I was born in 1955, but I have albums by everybody on this list except Debbie Gibson and Grandmaster Flash. Of course, just calling them albums probably dates me somewhat. Actually, I don't really have any Rosemary Clooney albums, but I have a couple Bing Crosby albums she sings on. Plus a DVD of White Christmas.

You sir are a member of The Greatest Generation, that is who preceded the Baby Boomers.

The 1st half of the BBG would be born from 1946 through 1955. I'm in that group.

The "Greatest Generation" fought WWII. You weren't doing much of the fighting if you were born in 1944.

You might learn to appreciate "Sir" if you were being called "Old G". This past week my GF was working out of office with an older man, and he was approached by a teenager who was wanting some money and was addressed as "Old G". My GF said he didnt appreciate it, and didn't give him any money. She asked her co-worker what the term meant, and he replied "Old Guy". BTW- The man was only 53, but to a teenager that is old. If the punk knew how to use the term "sir" he might have got a few bucks. :)

I'm on the wrong side of 40 now, but I still like to pretend that I'm somewhat in touch with youth culture. I'd bet a dollar that the young'in in question actually referred to the older gentleman as an "OG", which is short for "Original Gangsta'". From the kid's point of view, there's probably no greater compliment he could bestow on an older person. :facepalm:

I wonder where that puts me. I was born in 1955, but I have albums by everybody on this list except Debbie Gibson and Grandmaster Flash. Of course, just calling them albums probably dates me somewhat. Actually, I don't really have any Rosemary Clooney albums, but I have a couple Bing Crosby albums she sings on. Plus a DVD of White Christmas.
It puts you as someone who likes a lot of different kinds of music.

I've listened to all of the above, it is from my memory and approximate dates. But if there was a "sweet spot" for me -- the time of your coming to age memories -- it would be Police, Blondie, Clash. That's late high school early college for me.

The list is incomplete. Just giving some ideas. It also bleeds over big time among generations, especially if you are open to music.

I apologize for not having any country in there. Not my thing. I'm more Pop, Standards, Funk, Rock kind of guy.

It puts you as someone who likes a lot of different kinds of music.

I've listened to all of the above, it is from my memory and approximate dates. But if there was a "sweet spot" for me -- the time of your coming to age memories -- it would be Police, Blondie, Clash. That's late high school early college for me.

The list is incomplete. Just giving some ideas. It also bleeds over big time among generations, especially if you are open to music.

I apologize for not having any country in there. Not my thing. I'm more Pop, Standards, Funk, Rock kind of guy.

Country music does not have the same time sensitive styles. There is old traditional style, and the new style that sounds like pop music. and then bluegrass, which never changes. Even Jazz has periods (bop, etc) but those seem to transcend generations.

As I have become older, I certainly have learned to appreciate Jazz more.

Isn't the group just before boomers the 'silent generation'? also known as the Korean war generation? The group that was first dominated by the WW2 folks and them overwhelmed out by the boomers? The over 67 group that is just now visible as the WW2 generation dies off?

Silent Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The label "Silent Generation" was first coined in the November 5, 1951, cover story of Time to refer to the generation coming of age at the time, born during the Great Depression and World War II, including the bulk of those who fought during the Korean War."

Interesting, I thought the Silent Generation was the group born prior to the Greatest Generation. These labels are kind of fluid, it is quite possible for people born at the beginning of the Silent Generation to have fought in WWII. If you were born in 1926 you were 18 in 1944, you could have enlisted or been drafted and seen combat. You may have been in this scenario if you were born very early in 1927, were 18 in say Jan. 1945 and went to the South Pacific before August.

Back
Top Bottom