Handy Firefox browser add-on loads your routine websites

For my daily visits to favorite websites i just create a shortcut to my desktop then i have a permanent icon on the desktop that i click on to open the website, i cant imagine it being easier than that.

Ah, well, I should have described a bit more.

I make a quick visit to some websites on an almost daily basis. There are some blog sites that only update once a week, like on a Friday only or a Wednesday only for example. There are a couple that I don't have time for except on weekends. A couple of others are new on weekdays only.

So, I can put these into "Morning Coffee" to open on the days specified ~ and with one click they all open in tabs ~ but only on the day or days I chose:)

Just a little time saver.

But one would probably need to read about it at the site to make the determination.

Have fun!

You can also use the "open all in tabs" in bookmarks.

For my daily visits to favorite websites i just create a shortcut to my desktop then i have a permanent icon on the desktop that i click on to open the website, i cant imagine it being easier than that.

Agreed, this solution strikes me as more complex than the built in FF features. These add-ons sometimes 'break' after an upgrade.

jambo's solution works, you can also save a group of tabs as a bookmark - that will open all those related tabs with one click.

With that caveat though - here's a handy one related to this, Session Manager:

mozdev.org - sessionmanager: options

Sometimes, I may have opened a bazilion windows researching a topic, and I may want to come back to those later, I can save and name that as a "session" and come back to that entire group of tabs/windows. Plus some other nice features. Handy, but because of the potential upgrade issues, I wouldn't want to rely on it for daily stuff, just in case. USe the built in FF features (bookmarks, tabs) for that. JMO.

-ERD50

There is some sort of glitch in FF3 concerning bookmarks. Unable to delete certain bookmarks is one problem. I was going through mine trying to clean out the old or unused and had 2 that would not delete. A closer look showed that there was no address associated as you would normally see.
A google search found that there are many complaints having to do with bookmark management.

I just have a "Bookmark Toolbar", located under the normal Firefox toolbar. I keep about a dozen oft visited websites on it, so I can simply 'click' on one and there it is! I have it set up for Weather.com, NOAA, my bank, the local [-]birdcage liner[/-] newspaper, the E-R forums, Google, my 2 web-mail sites, and a couple of others.

Anytime the browser is open, those links (bookmarks) are right there in front of me.

One add-on that I really do like , is "CoolPreviews"....it allows you to move your mouse cursor over a link, and a small window pops up showing the webpage of that link. If you want to explore the webpage more, you can simply 'click' an arrow at the top of that little window..it's the "^" arrow...and it will change froma little preview window to a regular size page tab. If you don't want to explore it further, just move your cursor arrow away from the link or preview window, and the preview window automatically goes away.

Also, I absolutely LOVE "AdBlockPlus".......if you don't like seeing ads on the sites you visit, this is for you! Weather.com got to be soooo sloooow loading with all of the advertising on their pages, I hated to even think about going there to check the weather (I really like their radar). Installed AdBlockPlus...and ain't seen any ads since....and their website loads waaaaay faster now....less than 1/4 of the time it used to take.

Just started using Firefox - was MSN.com, and they are real nasty about moving bookmarks to another browser. Like i haven't found where MSN hides them. Decided i'll just have both browsers and if i need a bookmark i can find it, grab it's URL, and open & save in Firefox. Really liking Adblock Plus and just added Cool previews, which seems, well, cool. Do need to get the terminology down and sort bookmarks and figure out tabs /vs bookmarks. Also i keep closing the whole darn thing rather than one window, but that's just part of the upgrade learning process. Kinda like going from AOhelL.

You could also use one of the default scheduler programs on your computer to automatically open certain websites or a compination of websites automatically at a certain time. That's probably the laziest way possible as it's a zero click operation.

Just started using Firefox - was MSN.com, and they are real nasty about moving bookmarks to another browser. Like i haven't found where MSN hides them.
Calmloki,
Were you using Internet Explorer with your MSN account? If so, FF should have picked up the bookmarks from IE when you installed it. At least, that's been my experience thus far. I moved from IE to FF about 4 weeks ago.

You will, however, need to re-establish any passwords for each site in FF's memory (if you're like me and clicked all those Remember Me checkboxes at login). But FF is really clever at prompting you everytime you login at a site.

-- Rita

Calmloki,
Were you using Internet Explorer with your MSN account? If so, FF should have picked up the bookmarks from IE when you installed it. At least, that's been my experience thus far. I moved from IE to FF about 4 weeks ago.

You will, however, need to re-establish any passwords for each site in FF's memory (if you're like me and clicked all those Remember Me checkboxes at login). But FF is really clever at prompting you everytime you login at a site.

-- Rita

No, wasn't using internet explorer but the Qwest telephone broadband version of MSN explorer. MSN stores all the mail out there in the ether - have a FF link set up to it - would go to Thunderbird but want continuity in my mail. FF did get the 4 bookmarks in IE no problem - but they were just orphans. I'm liking FF a bunch though - just the normal software change issues - actually less than normal problems - Goonie's CoolPreview is very neat for fast looks at links. Like all the customizable goodies that can be added quick and easy - and it does seem faster and has been blocking lots of ads (it asked if i wanted the update to Adblocker this morning).

Calmloki:
I'm with you. I totally abandoned the MSN email client stored on the desktop for the internet version, for lots of reasons.

I'm not crazy about the mail client available for Qwest customers on the internet, and am looking around for another email client that I can use with multiple internet mail accounts.

Any recommendations are welcome!

-- Rita

....and am looking around for another email client that I can use with multiple internet mail accounts.

Any recommendations are welcome!

-- Rita

I use Eudora Pro.....I've had it for years....and like it a lot! Easy to configure the way I want it. Also able to manage more than one email account with NO problems at all....I had it set up for 6 separate email accounts, but now I'm down to 3 accounts.

I've also had Thunderbird installed for a couple of years, but haven't gotten around to messing with it to much. It can also be set up for multiple email accounts.

Adblock is a great add-on. I use "Adblock Filterset Updater" with it.

Another one I like is "Flashblock". I use "IE Tab" for those sites bset seen with IE, like Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom