hanging -- the Iraqi style

janeeyre

Recycles dryer sheets
Do you think the Iraqi's will ever get the "hang" of hanging correct? Wow what a bunch!! Yeah, sure they can maintain a government.

Well...there were no survivors....
They got the job done - but it was barbaric -- as were the ones hung.

How, exactly, would the hangee's head come off?
(Morbid curiosity)

Were I being hanged, I think I would rather the executioner err on the side of ripping my head off in the first instant, rather than on the side of me being left kicking and slowly choking... Not, I am sure, that that is any consolation to the family of the condemned here.

Donzo said:
Well...there were no survivors....
They got the job done - but it was barbaric -- as were the ones hung.

Just how could hanging not be barbaric?

Grumpy

grumpy said:
Just how could hanging not be barbaric?

Grumpy

The link posted by REWahoo gives the details. Apparently there are ways to perform a hanging that are as humane as an execution can get. Arguably, a properly performed hanging is more humane than lethal injection, as things are over very quickly in the former case, while in the later case the condemned is alone to mull over the process for approx 1/2 hour while the medications are administered.

I wish I would have saved the story... I read it a couple of days ago...

It said that there is a table, but it is 'not' scientific... and that the goal is to break the neck so the guy is 'knocked out' and THEN the guy dies from suffocation... they said that there is enough oxegen in the head for them to know what is happening if they do not have a broken neck...

There was one statement in there about Marie Antoinette... it said that after she was beheaded, she 'smiled'... it did say involuntarily, but who knows:confused:

From REWahoo's link:

It is also probable that some people black out as they fall through the trap and are already unconscious before they reach the end of the drop.

Uh...sure.

In the opinion of Dr. Cornelius Rosse, the chairman of the Department of Anatomy at the University of Washington School of Medicine, the belief that fracture of the spinal cord causes instantaneous death is wrong in all but a small fraction of cases. In this he is certainly right, but the point is whether it causes instantaneous loss of consciousness, which seems highly probable.

I'm no doctor, but I suspect some wishful thinking going on here.

They acted like vindictive children when the executed Saddam, so now they decapitate another, ostensibly by accident (shrug). I really won't be surprised when we hear they defiled the bodies too....

Guillotine or broken neck, its likely the human brain remains conscious for as long as 7-10 seconds, complete with a full set of senses.

Most likely in a high state of shock, its probably not particularly horrifying. But I'd rather skip it.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Guillotine or broken neck, its likely the human brain remains conscious for as long as 7-10 seconds, complete with a full set of senses.

Most likely in a high state of shock, its probably not particularly horrifying. But I'd rather skip it.
Ahhh, come on CFB. How do you know if you don't try it. Is there some way you could be hung from a kayak? :)

You know, for years I thought the same thing. Whenever someone threw something out like "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick", I thought: "What if that feels pretty good? You know, scratching away at the back of the eye socket might just be a really nice feeling.".

Then I met someone who got poked in the eye with a sharp stick. He said it didnt feel very good. But thats only a sample size of one.

CFB,

So you met someone who had been hung by the neck until dead and he told you he was aware for 10 seconds and felt everything? I'd like to meet the guy. Maybe we can start a new religion? :LOL:

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom