Happier with my head in the sand???? I'm goin on vacation

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't know what did it but I'm hitting the road - I was going to happen anyway - but I feel compelled now. I don't know how I would feel if I owned a television! Maybe I need to get rid of the radio also. So, I'm thinking I would be happier if I just learned to stick my head in the sand.

I don't know what the tipping point was:

The attorney generals "scandal"
The negative Iraq war news/politcs and the implications for the future
The stock market being down
The impending mortgage collaspe
The impending housing bubble burst
The starting of the 2008 presidential election process
The lack of research, perspective depth, or insights in the news media
Chiquita Bannas Fined $25M For Terror Ties

I knew it was time when I researched the causes of mortality after listening to another negative story about Iraq - I was looking for perspective; I think.

Rank Cause Total deaths (in thousands) % of total
1. Ischaemic heart disease 7,208 12.6%
2. Cerebrovascular disease 5,509 9.7
3. Lower respiratory infections 3,884 6.8
4. HIV/AIDS 2,777 4.9
5. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 2,748 4.8
6. Diarrheal diseases 1,798 3.2
7. Tuberculosis 1,566 2.7
8. Malaria 1,272 2.2
9. Cancer of trachea/bronchus/lung 1,243 2.2
10. Road traffic accidents 1,192 2.1%
11. Childhood Diseases 1,124 2.0
12. Other unintentional injuries 923 1.6
13. Hypertensive heart disease 911 1.6
14. Self-inflicted 873 1.5
15. Stomach cancer 850 1.5
16. Cirrhosis of the liver 786 1.4
17. Nephritis/nephrosis 677 1.2
18. Colon/rectum cancer 622 1.1
19. Liver cancer 618 1.1
20. Measles 611 1.1
Source: The World Health Report, 2003, The World Health Organization (WHO).

Dex,
I got rid of my TV in the early '80s. Paying to watch TV was just too much! But I listen to the radio a lot also and now streaming on the Internet. There are times when I only listen to music. Gon' on vacation sounds like a fabulous idea! :D

You forgot global warming ... ;)

Have a great vacation.

My technique is never, ever watch the evening news, just touch base with yahoo every once in a while. The tv news is just way too sensationalized. I live in Chicagoland, and each year they make it sound like if it is snowing you are most likely going to die if you go outside. I hate tv news, hate it, hate it, hate it !!

- John

If you bury yourself in the sand you won't have to worry about skin cancer.

If it bleeds, it leads. News is usually awful. The 24 hour news cycle has made it worse; all those news channels with all those hours to fill. From the impending market collapse (unlikely) to the latest scandal, always ask yourself, "will this matter in 5 years; 10 years? A lot of media people have their livelihoods invested in keeping us stirred up. So, you have made a wise decision.

While I watch quite a bit of TV, never the news. The other day I was flipping channels and ran across MSNBC, . . . they were doing a story on an automobile accident somewhere in New Jersey. And I thought the news reporting couldn't get any worse . . . a ten second exposure to the news while flipping channels proved me wrong.

Back
Top Bottom