Happy 114th Birthday Walter B!

NW Landlady

Recycles dryer sheets
Some words of wisdom from the OLDEST MAN IN THE WORLD! (he turned 114 years old Sept 21,2010).
Walter Breuning was born on Sept. 21, 1896, in Melrose, Minnesota, and moved to Montana in 1918, where he worked as a clerk for the Great Northern Railway for 50 years. Pretty amazing guy!!

I saw an article about him in the paper this morning. Thanks for posting the video. It is nice to see him and hear him speak about his life and experiences.

Thanks, great interview!

I can only imagine the production crew on Tuesday morning:
Producer: "So, are we still on at 9 AM?"
Director: "No phone calls yet."
Producer: "OK, let's hurry!"...

I thought Mr. Breuning's interview was excellent. His observations were succinct and insightful. He doesn't show any signs of slowing down mentally.

Thanks,

Free to canoe

Amazing! What a nice guy, too. I just can't get over how sharp he is at that age. The wiki article has some good info, not too surprising that his parents and siblings all lived to old age (bold mine):

Walter Breuning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Longevity runs in Bruening's family. His paternal grandparents lived into their 90s, and his siblings lived to ages 78, 85, 91, and 100.[3]

Having lived at the Rainbow Retirement and Assisted Living Center in Great Falls, Montana for the last 30 years,[8] Breuning is in excellent health, even after a lifelong habit of smoking cigars, completely quitting in 1999.[9] He is able to walk, and eats two meals a day. He still maintains a sharp mind and accurate memory. .... He has no prescription medications. In November 2007, at the age of 111, Breuning was fitted with hearing aids.

The week before his 113th birthday in September 2009, Breuning had fallen and bruised his scalp, but was otherwise unhurt.[11]

-ERD50

"Everyday is a good day" Something we all need to remember. What a sharp man! I wonder how he has made it financially for so long? Particularly living in an assisted living facility as they are not cheap.

I wonder how he has made it financially for so long? Particularly living in an assisted living facility as they are not cheap.

The same thing occurred to me as I watched the video. Then I noticed it was sponsored by Mr. Breuning's assisted living home. Maybe they have a deal worked out. He can stay there free as long as they get to publicly celebrate his BD. Great publicity!

Would love to stay as sharp as Mr. Breuning no matter how long I live.

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine 50 years of service with a railroad probably left him with some pretty solid retirement benefits...

Don't know how it worked when Mr. Breuning retired from the RR, but FIL was a part of the "RR Retirement" system which (don't know the details) as I recall was in leu of SS and worked "about" the same. IF someone else knows better, by all means, correct me. I do know that there was no separate pension from FIL's RR and he did NOT receive SS as such. Still, he and MIL managed quite well on their RR retirement and savings. But - not to 114!!!

Wow. I read about his birthday last year. His favorite food is liver and onions and the article said that's what he had for his bday dinner.

Now, what does that tell you?? :cool:

Wow. I read about his birthday last year. His favorite food is liver and onions and the article said that's what he had for his bday dinner.

Now, what does that tell you?? :cool:
It tells me that the possibly apocryphal story involving Winston Churchill was right:

WOMAN: "Sir, is it true that if you avoid smoking and drinking and eat right, you can live to be 100?"

CHURCHILL: "Yes, madam, but it will feel like 200."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom